Garmin 160c Fish finder

JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Garmin 160c Fish finder

Post by JonahJones »

I promised that I would do a review of the Garmin 160c Fish Finder once I had done a few trips with it.

One year on here it is:

First of all the Garmin 160c cannot really be called a "Fish Finder". Despite the photo in my avatar, "arches", or fish are a rarity. What it is usefull for is the location of features, such as drop off's, plateaux, and location of ledges, etc.

The screen is bright, and easy to see, even in bright sunlight. I have mine fixed under the cuddy, so even at around 10 feet away, it's crystal clear. One criticism I have heard of the Garmins is that the image on the screen is a bit pixalated. This is true, but remenber, you get what you pay for. This model is the "entry level" colour screen spec, and at around £160, you have to manage your expectations.

Little Niggles

The first frustrating thing I found with the 160c was it's inability to cope with very steep drop off's. It will continue to show a previous depth, even though you can clearly see that you have gone over an underwater cliff! It can take up to a minute to show the correct depth.

The second niggle, is that when you switch the unit off, it doesn't remember the settings you previously entered, ie; gain, and scroll speed etc, when you come to use it again. The manufacurers claim it will.

Fish ID is a waste of time, switch it off. Concentrate on gain settings, and matching it with your scroll settings. I still have lot's to learn, and learn something every trip.

All wiring, connectors, transducer, manual, etc is supplied, if your not fixing your transducer to your hull, you will need a bracket. A few online tackle dealers sell them, I got mine from Image and it's been fine, except the neoprene discs on the clamps don't last 5 minutes.

Batteries are not supplied, but the fire alarm 12v 7ah type are perfect (thanks Carl) You will get up to 2 days out of them, if you use sparingly (switch off once anchored)

Overall impressions are good, it's a very useful tool, and despite it's niggles, I would not venture afloat without one.
BREXIT !! Now lets get rid of the BBC

2015 Scottish (Kayak) Predator Championships - Biggest Perch 44cm
2016 Llangorse European Kayak Predator Championships - Winner
merlin
Chub
Chub

Re: Garmin 160c Fish finder

Post by merlin »

The only thing to bear in mind with buying any fish finders bearing the Garmin name is that these are now no longer made by Garmin themselves, but under licence by another company.
Woodchucker
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Woodchucker »

Thats a pretty honest review Jonah, I had the black and white version and I have now upgraded to a Lowrance and the differance is huge, a great entry level finder but for fish finding it really is mile behind Lowrance IMHO.
Perch are scared of wire, dont make me laugh!
JonahJones
Barbel
Barbel

Post by JonahJones »

I think your spot on there woodchucker.

They are "entry level" , and my upgrade (eventually) will probably be a Lowrance. I've heard good things about them.

A very interesting note from Mark. I didn't know that Garmin had subbed out the assembly of their Fish finders, and I bet others don't either.
BREXIT !! Now lets get rid of the BBC

2015 Scottish (Kayak) Predator Championships - Biggest Perch 44cm
2016 Llangorse European Kayak Predator Championships - Winner
merlin
Chub
Chub

Post by merlin »

it only came to light fore me when i claimed on my finder after my grafham dip. The coompany said i could choose a different make if i wanted to the equiveilant price because of it.
BillCollins
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by BillCollins »

I've had several sounders through the years(invariably sold with various boats), including 2 colour Garmins. While they were both reliable, their specifications and abilities are a bit limited. Lowrance, on the other hand, are not as outrageously priced as some people think and even modestly priced models have a surprising range of features. Having owned most makes, Lowrance have without doubt always been a step (or 2) ahead of the competition.
Marcraft are for queers.