greys trebles

shea mc
Stickleback
Stickleback

greys trebles

Post by shea mc »

anyone have any experience of greys super carbon hooks, normally use partridge and have done for years but the local tackle shop didn't have any yesterday so was recommended these greys hooks that had just arrived, after tying up a few traces i gave them a wee pull using a pair of pliers and the end of the table, first trace promptly bent straight with very little pressure, the second trace snapped clean off at the bend on the hook, had nothing to do with the pressure on them as I then got my child to try another and it bent as well, for the price of these I would have expected a lot better, better finding out what crap they were in the house before using them at the lake, any one else experienced this?
Anglergary
Roach
Roach

Re: greys trebles

Post by Anglergary »

Used these trebles last year for abit there sh!t go blunt after 1 fish, ive straightened hooks out on them plenty of times. Wouldn't recommend them at all! Get on the owner trebles there mega strong and tacky sharp.
Fishing is only an addiction, if you're trying to quit!
neilgriffs
Roach
Roach

Post by neilgriffs »

Used for one trip, binned all the ones I had made up and went back to eagle claw half the price and much more reliable, had the same problem would bend out under very little load
shea mc
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by shea mc »

not just me then, was sort of thinking of cutting down on my Weetabix as I reckoned I might be to strong :grin:
BigPete1965
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by BigPete1965 »

I personally think most greys stuff is s**t......no room for penny pinching in piking.
Pikey Phil
Chub
Chub

Post by Pikey Phil »

Won't be buying any of those then. Be good to get a review in 'Pikelines' and 'Pike n Preds' , containing this information, as it might save anglers from losing a few pike.
Rob_Iasgair
Perch
Perch

Post by Rob_Iasgair »

Strange. I have switched to them as I found them nice and strong and they remained sharp!

After having 3 lots of Owner trebles mangled by fish, the Greys have so far not let me down. They are all new stock though (about 4 months old now) and do look different from the very first ones I bought.
rootscause
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by rootscause »

I avoid anything by greys after hooks straightening and an 100lb swivel breaking on a cast.
Woolley bully
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Woolley bully »

It's a bit catch 22 really, you need a nice strong an sharp hook that will straighten out if you need to pull for a break so to speak , I have been using mustard hooks , seem good for the money an they will straighten before the 15lb mono breaks so for me there doing the job nice acting as a safety margin ,, I know braid users can usually go with much stronger hooks , was the test done using a scale so you can monitor at what strain the hooks gave up at ? Would be interesting to see the results :scratch:
Born to fish but forced to work