ESP Powergum (green)

Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

ESP Powergum (green)

Post by Duncan Holmes »

I used up the last of my Drennan red powergum the other week and the only thing my local tackle shop had in was the ESP green stuff.

There's me thinking powergum is powergum. :shrug:

The stuff is utter crap for stop knots on braid, I have probably tried more stop knots today than I have in the last 2 seasons.

Even worse, one of the knots disappeared on the cast, without me noticing, resulted (well certainly didn't help) in a deep hooked fish.

Thankfully wasn't to much of an issue, but ended up fishing with two knots at a time just in case.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: ESP Powergum (green)

Post by davelumb »

I used it for years with no problems. What breaking strain?
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

14lb, I normally use the Drennan red in 6kg.

I use the knot which is a bit like a grinner, (for want of a better explanation)

What knot do you use?
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
What knot do you use?
Sounds like the same one - double the power gum back on itself and pass one end through the loop four times.

Not sure what BS as I can't see it on the spool thingy. I admit that braid can cut through the power gum, but that seems to be down to how you tighten the knot and if it's lubricated when being slid up or down.
RobSidell
Perch
Perch

Post by RobSidell »

Never bother with power gum as find 80lb-100lb braid ideal for the job.
spincityfan
Chub
Chub

Post by spincityfan »

have you tries pole elastic? i use that and find the elasticity helps the knot bind to line
Introducing the worlds worst Barbel Angler,

Mr Ash Shaw
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Cheers for replies

Never had a problem with the Drennan red stuff in the past, the red is not as soft so maybe I was tightening too much,

I have retrieved from bin and will try being a little less brutal with it. :thumbs:
brian donnelly
Chub
Chub

Post by brian donnelly »

Duncan Holmes wrote:
I used up the last of my Drennan red powergum the other week and the only thing my local tackle shop had in was the ESP green stuff.

The stuff is utter crap for stop knots on braid, I have probably tried more stop knots today than I have in the last 2 seasons.

Even worse, one of the knots disappeared on the cast, without me noticing, resulted (well certainly didn't help) in a deep hooked fish.

Thankfully wasn't to much of an issue, but ended up fishing with two knots at a time just in case.
You may not have noticed your knot disappear but surely you knew something was a miss when your float wouldn't/wasn't set right, so why leave it out with poor bite detection which resulted in the deep hooking!?
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.
Mr Bill Shankly.

5 TIMES
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

brian donnelly wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:

You may not have noticed your knot disappear but surely you knew something was a miss when your float wouldn't/wasn't set right, so why leave it out with poor bite detection which resulted in the deep hooking!?
If I had a float that wouldn't set right, my first assumption would be that its been picked up on the drop and I would have investigated why, but thanks for asking.

When static dead baiting from a boat my inline floats lay flat on the surface, with a fixed weight on the trace, stop knots set 8-12 inches over depth, sinking braid with around 1-2 feet slack to the rod tip.

Yesterday it was blowing up quite a bit and this rod was fished across the wind, I can only assume the free sliding float and slack balanced, as the float didn't look out of position and I didn't notice anything strange, 1st I knew about it was the multipler screaming.

For the sake of some clarity, I consider a deep hooked fish when I cant see the bottom treble.

Bearing in mind its the first one since 23rd October 2013, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it apart from finding a solution to my stop knot issue.
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

davelumb wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:
What knot do you use?
Sounds like the same one - double the power gum back on itself and pass one end through the loop four times.

Not sure what BS as I can't see it on the spool thingy. I admit that braid can cut through the power gum, but that seems to be down to how you tighten the knot and if it's lubricated when being slid up or down.
Tried all sort of things this morning, 4 turns, 5 turns, not pulling too tight, pulling tighter, even a couple of different knots I found on google.

The braid cuts it every time, so either the compound must of changed, my braid is rough or I have a dodgy spool, back to the red stuff for me. :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

My stuff is quite old. :laughs: I always thought it felt harder than the red powergum though, so maybe it is different now.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

I use fox braid stops for most of my fishing when a stop is required, even on light mono for tench/carp bolt rigs. not good though if you use long tag ends on likes of power gum for casting through eyes.

Always reuse them though! slide them back on to some mono for later. longest I got out of a full packet was near 3 years :laughs:

other than that, fox power gum ive found is just as good too.

im not a fox fanboy btw, they do occasionally come up with something useful :laughs:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

I didn't think you could get that red powergum anymore , so many years ago , just went back to using 20lbs line and its fine .
monkeydiver
Perch
Perch

Post by monkeydiver »

Does it not strangle the main line using 20lb line. I can remember being told that many years ago!
Admau1
Chub
Chub

Post by Admau1 »

Pole elastic does the job! :thumbs:
Tony McTaggart
Chub
Chub

Post by Tony McTaggart »

Been using the esp stuff for a few years now and never had a problem, hope they ain't changed it.
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Duncan Holmes wrote:

Duncan

My experience of the red stuff is that you could get away with a grinner knot as it didn't loosen and unravel. The green stuff I found is a bit different, and I too have 'lost' a knot or two over the years. I have found however that tying one on following the instructions to the letter will give a knot that has good longevity.

If you really still want the red stuff its readily available on the bay

I also use two knots above the top bead, and always have one below the bottom bead, ready for trotting livies in stronger flows :wink:

Last edited by Steve C on Fri Dec 26 2014 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

monkeydiver wrote:
Does it not strangle the main line using 20lb line. I can remember being told that many years ago!
Just don't pull the knot overly tight and slide it a few times up and down the main line for a few feet when first tied
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Steve C wrote:
Duncan Holmes wrote:

Duncan

My experience of the red stuff is that you could get away with a grinner knot as it didn't loosen and unravel. The green stuff I found is a bit different, and I too have 'lost' a knot or two over the years. I have found however that tying one on following the instructions to the letter will give a knot that has good longevity.

If you really still want the red stuff its readily available on the bay

I also use two knots above the top bead, and always have one below the bottom bead, ready for trotting livies in stronger flows :wink:

Cheers Steve, I have ordered a couple of spools of red off ebay, which should keep me going for a few years :laughs:

I will try the green with the three turns as shown. ta.

+1 on the stop under the bottom bead, although I generally use a braid stop as find I can push it down by reeling the float against the end eye, which is useful if trolling deep.
r0bert
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by r0bert »

15-20lb mono for me
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Optima Power Gum is what I have always used - just can't fault it, so no reason to try anything else. Simply does the job - grips well, doesn't easily get moved when pulling through rod rings, doesn't impede casts and doesn't damage the line underneath. Used it for donkeys years ... never leave home with out it :laughs:
Piking Plonker
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Some lads use fly line backing

I have used the Fox braid stops (back of the spool on spinning reels)
and used them on multipliers ok

put new ones on every year, but if it splits you have strip the setup down to put a new one on :eek:

The red power gum seems to get cut through after you move it a few times, but you don't have to strip the setup down to put a new bit on :smile:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

I do not know why anyone uses power gum or braid stops. 15lb Daiwa yellow mono so you can see where your stop knot is
Happy to be alive!!!!
Steve C
Perch
Perch

Post by Steve C »

Neville Fickling wrote:
I do not know why anyone uses power gum or braid stops. 15lb Daiwa yellow mono so you can see where your stop knot is
You talking mono on mono, or mono on braid Nev? TBH its never crossed my mind to try a mono knot on braid - does it grip/hold well? (without me rushing off to try right now) I'm sure everyone is comfortable with mono on mono though. :smile:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

I use elasticated cotton for stop knots, don't slip, don't come undone, I use it doubled up and just tie a grinner, easily adjusted up or down with a bit of spit.
Use it to tie my dead baits on as well (got to be thrifty face :laughs: )
Neville Fickling
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Neville Fickling »

Steve C wrote:
Neville Fickling wrote:
You talking mono on mono, or mono on braid Nev? TBH its never crossed my mind to try a mono knot on braid - does it grip/hold well? (without me rushing off to try right now) I'm sure everyone is comfortable with mono on mono though. :smile:
I dont use mono for any predator fishing so the reference was to braid.
Happy to be alive!!!!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I use whatever I'm using for my rotten bottom weak link. Lately, 8lb mono from the bargain bin. It never slips but slides easily for depth changing. Power gum is not an option for me.