Snugpak clothing

Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Snugpak clothing

Post by Mark Phillips »

Thought I'd treat myself to a softie jacket this winter, as I'll be doing a lot of short session carp fishing into dark - no bivvies or sleeping bags, just sitting on the rods. Anyway, tried on several snugpak jackets and none fitted me. Sleeves way too long and general fit is too tight across the waist or too short in length, sitting too high above the waist line. I never really have a problem with clothing, as I'm 32 waist, 42 chest and 5'11 12.5 stone... in other words I am pretty average height/weight/etc. God knows who they've designed their clothing for, but not a single jacket would fit me. Then I saw a 'glowing' review in a carp mag... the picture of the chap wearing the jacket shows it sitting way too high up and the sleeves, unsurprisingly look too long. Made me laugh I suppose, but have you ever read a bad review of anything in one of those mags? No, of course not. My advice if you're looking at buying one of these is to try some on before buying and avoid mail order returns. The sizing given for these jackets is woeful and the fit, as stated, very odd. If you're short, have a tiny waist and very long arms, you'll be OK...
Piking Plonker
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Snugpak clothing

Post by dannytaylor »

Got mine last week and I'm VERY happy with it :shrug: if anything it's too warm! Have to pack it away in its stash bag when walking. When sat behind the rods it's lovely and toasting. The long fitting sleeves are nice for casting

(Did try it on in the shop though :laughs: )
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Just a quick add to this thread, pike slime wipes off the material easy and no faffing worrying about washing them in the wrong detergent :laughs: :thumbs: A great jacket for sitting behind the rods in a cold easterly.........
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Post by Goooey »

Just don't get a barbed treble snagged in it...bascially unravels itself :lol:
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Goooey wrote: Fri Nov 10 2017 10:16 -
Just don't get a barbed treble snagged in it...bascially unravels itself :lol:
The thought did cross my mind, bit posh for a piking coat
Goooey
Roach
Roach

Post by Goooey »

I have the sj3 which i wear as a mid layer under ex army goretex, which is spot on. As stated, very happy with mine as well.
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

dannytaylor wrote: Sun Nov 05 2017 20:41 -
Got mine last week and I'm VERY happy with it :shrug: if anything it's too warm! Have to pack it away in its stash bag when walking. When sat behind the rods it's lovely and toasting. The long fitting sleeves are nice for casting

(Did try it on in the shop though :laughs: )
What model jacket did you get Danny?
Ray Waker
dannytaylor
Barbel
Barbel

Post by dannytaylor »

Sj9 it's bloody warm. Only had a t shirt under it the other day and I was fine. Can't walk any distance in them though.........
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Mark, you bought the wrong jacket.

Im the same upper body size as you and I have used a number of SJ9 jackets and they all have fitted me perfectly and (if anything) are extra super warm as Danny has said above.

It was the SJ9 jackets that some of our guys took to A'stan in the early days, those that had them made a fortune renting them out to those doing stag (guard duty) because nothing else kept them warm.

Best cold weather jacket on the planet bar none :thumbs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

dannytaylor wrote: Fri Nov 10 2017 17:50 -
Sj9 it's bloody warm. Only had a t shirt under it the other day and I was fine. Can't walk any distance in them though.........
Thanks mate... :thumbs:
Ray Waker
Banks8125
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Banks8125 »

I have been looking at this stuff, I do suffer from the cold and the chaps in the local tackle shop say its super warm. It does look like a some brambles and a couple of treble hooks would ruin it very quickly, am I mistaken???
Fish on....
Perch
Perch

Post by Fish on.... »

Banks8125 wrote: Wed Dec 27 2017 16:13 -
I have been looking at this stuff, I do suffer from the cold and the chaps in the local tackle shop say its super warm. It does look like a some brambles and a couple of treble hooks would ruin it very quickly, am I mistaken???
15% off here mate, use code gift but I think that ends tomorrow.

https://www.total-fishing-tackle.com/sn ... tie-jacket

I think you can get the non fishing ones cheaper but don't quote me on that. Id want full waterproofness for £150, and I'm not sure these are? If I was you, I'd go for a North Face Mcmurdo parka from eBay, full waterproof, and down. Heavy though and doesn't pack up small. Other option is a Primaloft filled mountain coat, try Montane for that. I'm pretty sure The softie padding is the same thing as Primaloft.
Actually know as Danny..
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Yes brambles and hooks would probably tear the fabric, its also not waterproof, but you cant have everything.
The SJ9 and a cycling cape as a waterproof over-all would provide the answer.
The SJ9 in olive didnt used to be a normal order so I had to wait for another batch to be made, whereas the coloured designs were readily available, who knows how long you might have to wait now the snow has arrived.
Give Snugpak a ring and chat your concerns over with them, you will find them very helpful and informative, they are a UK firm and make the gear themselves (not badged up Chinese imports) they also supply the Mil so are well used to solving 'problems'.

Let us know what you end up with.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Banks8125
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Banks8125 »

Mike J wrote: Wed Dec 27 2017 18:05 -

Yes brambles and hooks would probably tear the fabric, its also not waterproof, but you cant have everything.
The SJ9 and a cycling cape as a waterproof over-all would provide the answer.
The SJ9 in olive didnt used to be a normal order so I had to wait for another batch to be made, whereas the coloured designs were readily available, who knows how long you might have to wait now the snow has arrived.
Give Snugpak a ring and chat your concerns over with them, you will find them very helpful and informative, they are a UK firm and make the gear themselves (not badged up Chinese imports) they also supply the Mil so are well used to solving 'problems'.

Let us know what you end up with.

Thanks, not being waterproof is a deal breaker I was told they were, I need something warm, I feel the cold like a girl. I have a sundridge igloo 3 but it is way past its best now. I was proper cold the other day, ruined the day for me.
Banks8125
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Banks8125 »

Thanks, not being waterproof is a deal breaker I was told they were, I need something warm, I feel the cold like a girl. I have a sundridge igloo 3 but it is way past its best now. I was proper cold the other day, ruined the day for me.
kristian
Chub
Chub

Post by kristian »

dannytaylor wrote: Fri Nov 10 2017 17:50 -
LOL Don't even try walking in mine mate. Its for putting on when sat on the bank or in the boat doing nothing.
I've had mine for 18 months or so and its brilliant for keeping you warm but not very robust at all. I've broken the outer skin on mine just lifting a rucksack over one shoulder and the fabric being pinched. A bit too flimsy for that kind of money really.
Ash m
Zander
Zander

Post by Ash m »

When I was looking at a snugpak sj9 about 14 months ago now they were all the “fortis” carpy type ones then and I wanted a olive and think was looking at 129.99 after a look about I found a original snugpak sj9 no fortis badge so no carp tax and just slightly different and got one for £90, it’s mostly too warm to wear tho I find so wish I’d got one of the thinner ones, I walk a fair way and Mobile so have to stuff it in unhooking mat, it’s great for slipping on just before dark tho