sakuma hooks

norleveller
Perch
Perch

sakuma hooks

Post by norleveller »

had two of the sakuma 535 trebles snap on me now,used mainly for livebaiting but when ive used them on the few occasions for deadbaiting have snapped when putting into part frozen baits stick to the eagle claw 774 me thinks
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Re: sakuma hooks

Post by Steve D »

I've found them to be s***e aswell, same problem with them snapping! Chucked em in the bin.
Theres one or two phoneys round here ..
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Ive used the Manta 6/0 singles for wrecking since they became available and found them as good as any Ive ever used.
My hook of choice if I was going today, which sadly Im not as it a lovely day 'out there'.

Perhaps yours are copies or the quality has deminished?

:shrug:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Don't think mine were copies,Mike, iirc I got them direct from Sakuma, had 3 of them snap on me, one when unhooking a fish, one when hooking up a deadbait and the other while playing a fish. I found owners to be gash aswell but others rate them highly. Maybe I've been unlucky with dodgey batches :shrug:

I moved over to the fox power points despite people saying fox stuff is s***e I've not had a problem with them and also the partridge x7's have been spot on.
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

I had a batch of partridge X7's snap on me. They were literally snapping unhooking fish, every time one got bent in ice or a snag they snapped when bending back. I suspected they might of been copies. They were however ultra reliable with the fish I was catching.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Jimk2 wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 13:01 -
I had a batch of partridge X7's snap on me. They were literally snapping unhooking fish, every time one got bent in ice or a snag they snapped when bending back. I suspected they might of been copies. They were however ultra reliable with the fish I was catching.
Not good to hear! Luckily I've not come across that with them (yet) !

Where did you get them from Jim and what size were they?
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

Steve D wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 21:29 -

They were mostly size 6 and I bought them off ebay, It was some fly fishing shop in Ireland I think.
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Jimk2 wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 21:59 -

They were mostly size 6 and I bought them off ebay, It was some fly fishing shop in Ireland I think.
Ok mate cheers, I've only used them in size 2. Was gonna order some more this week from a fly fishing shop!! been getting them off lumby but he's out of stock atm.
Jimk2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Jimk2 »

Steve D wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 22:10 -
Jimk2 wrote: Mon Sep 17 2018 21:59 -

Ok mate cheers, I've only used them in size 2. Was gonna order some more this week from a fly fishing shop!! been getting them off lumby but he's out of stock atm.
They were all size 6's now I come to think about it.
Andrew quinn
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Post by Andrew quinn »

Same problem here. Size 4 one snapped as I hit a take. Lost this fish. next one snapped unhooking another fish. All in the bin now.
Regards..

Andrew.... :fu:
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

I prefer Owner hooks generally but also use Eagle Claw on occasion. Always buy them when I holiday in the USA.
Ray Waker
Stevecolnevalley
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Stevecolnevalley »

Has anybody got any updates, either positive or negative? I am about to make up some traces using Sakura 535 trebles bought from ET.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Sakuma use to be viewed positively, you question a brand who reduces quality to retain their margins, a well worn path for many companies who move into cheap labour, poor quality materials or cut corners.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Sakuma 4s 10 hooks for £5.75
Daiwa 4601 6 hooks for £3.99

Sakuma unknown quality, from reports seem to be deteriorating.
Daiwa Japanese made quality, no negative reports. Bends out at 27lb load my own tests. aprox 10p more per hook.

The question we should be asking ourselves is if we knew the fish of a lifetime was going to be our next which hook would we want to be using?

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
RayB
Perch
Perch

Post by RayB »

I used them a few years back in a 4 and couldnt fault them, dead baiting on rivers.
Pretty sure they are the hooks that Drennan Esox sell as there xstrong hooks..
Ray Brown.
You got to do what you want to do when you want to do it..
Steve D
Chub
Chub

Post by Steve D »

Stevecolnevalley wrote: Thu Nov 30 2023 13:43 -
Has anybody got any updates, either positive or negative? I am about to make up some traces using Sakura 535 trebles bought from ET.
Try them and see what you think , they could have improved them or maybe not .

I’m still mainly using the fox power points and yet to have an issue with them.

ET was selling kamasan B990’s at one point and they’re another great hook but looks like he doesn’t stock em anymore .