Cygnet Clinga Bearing line clips

JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Cygnet Clinga Bearing line clips

Post by JoeNickel »

I bought these as I'm making some drop-off indicators. They advertise ball-bearing clips with adjustable tension, through "twisting" the head. Sounded great for braid.

The head is a two-piece unit. There's the main body, and a two-pronged carriage that slots inside. The prongs are angled - when fully inserted, they push the bearings together to grip the line. So far, so good.

Trying to adjust the tension involves sliding out the carriage (not "twisting" anything). Withdrawing the carriage 1mm moves the bearings prob 1mm - so you've gone from clipping 5lb line to 100lb braid. A further couple of mm lets the bearings drop out. They're about 1mm diameter, so when/if they fall in the grass, you're screwed. Can't imagine trying to adjust them with cold fingers. What a load of s***e.
20210208_153437.jpg
20210208_153509.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
fzrip
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: Cygnet Clinga Bearing line clips

Post by fzrip »

Surely these are “adjusted” by screwing the thread down which will compress the rubber o ring...?
MarkBerrisford
Chub
Chub

Post by MarkBerrisford »

To be fair they was undoubtedly designed for bobbins so to criticise them for not working on drop backs seems a little harsh
Search MB Custom Lures on Facebook
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

fzrip wrote: Mon Feb 08 2021 23:35 -
Surely these are “adjusted” by screwing the thread down which will compress the rubber o ring...?
Nope. That's what I expected. They don't screw, as the two prongs have to align with the holes for the bearings.
MarkBerrisford wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 13:13 -
To be fair they was undoubtedly designed for bobbins so to criticise them for not working on drop backs seems a little harsh
I'm not - I'm criticising them for not being genuinely adjustable when that's what they claim to be. Honestly, they have to be seen to be believed - it's incredibly bad design.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

http://cygnettackle.co.uk/product.php?id=141
Unique CAD design allows easy adjustment, simply twist the head to tighten or loosen tension on the stainless steel balls
The bobbin head is used to screw up the thread. Simple.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I'm guessing the process is the same concept as these clips from Fox - https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/fox-bla ... obbin-clip

In this case the black collar acts like the bobbin head will on the Cygnet clip.
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

davelumb wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 17:15 -
Unique CAD design allows easy adjustment, simply twist the head to tighten or loosen tension on the stainless steel balls
I'm a massive donkey. Yes. That's obviously how they're supposed to work. I'd even checked that same text on their website. In my defence, I'm suffering from a moderately chunky concussion and my thinking's fairly wonky :dizzy:

And they still don't actually adjust the tension, even using them correctly :shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

JoeNickel wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 23:09 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Feb 09 2021 17:15 -
I'm a massive donkey. Yes. That's obviously how they're supposed to work. I'd even checked that same text on their website. In my defence, I'm suffering from a moderately chunky concussion and my thinking's fairly wonky :dizzy:

And they still don't actually adjust the tension, even using them correctly :shrug:
I'll let you off. This time! :laughs:
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

:red: :neutral: :thanks: