Book recommendation

DylanOc1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Book recommendation

Post by DylanOc1 » Mon Mar 11 2019 23:58

Could someone please recommend books on pike behaviour and just general information about pike.

I've read Paul Gusstafsons book but felt like it was aimed towards absolute beginners.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Book recommendation

Post by Mike J » Tue Mar 12 2019 10:45

You would probably be better served researching scientific papers on the subject in general.
Beware the more questions you answer, the more you will have.

:handshake:

piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker60 » Tue Mar 12 2019 11:58

DylanOc1 wrote: ↑
Could someone please recommend books on pike behaviour and just general information about pike.

I've read Paul Gusstafsons book but felt like it was aimed towards absolute beginners.
Scientific papers will provide data such as 'trigger point' temperatures for spawning etc. If you're looking for behaviour references for pike, then a book I found quite interesting, was 'Broadland Pike' by Derrick Amies. There is a lot pike fishing experience drawn upon in that book, with anecdotal examples to prove/disprove a point. That is, if you can see past the bad grammar (even in the 2nd edition).

Another book is 'Ultimate Pike' by Dave Horton. Nick Peat's chapter on River Piking references behaviour/conditions/baits to some extent.

Good luck
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill

suffolk si
Barbel
Barbel

Post by suffolk si » Tue Mar 12 2019 13:30

Mick browns books are very interesting readsπŸ‘

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Tue Mar 12 2019 14:17

Any thing by Barrie Rickards and Martin Gay will be well worth the read .
A trove of info there .........

steve28fishing
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by steve28fishing » Tue Mar 12 2019 19:48

Freshwater Fishes from the New Naturalist Library and also the similar title by Falkus and Buller

DylanOc1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by DylanOc1 » Tue Mar 12 2019 20:43

piker60 wrote: ↑

Scientific papers will provide data such as 'trigger point' temperatures for spawning etc. If you're looking for behaviour references for pike, then a book I found quite interesting, was 'Broadland Pike' by Derrick Amies. There is a lot pike fishing experience drawn upon in that book, with anecdotal examples to prove/disprove a point. That is, if you can see past the bad grammar (even in the 2nd edition).

Another book is 'Ultimate Pike' by Dave Horton. Nick Peat's chapter on River Piking references behaviour/conditions/baits to some extent.

Good luck
Mike J wrote: ↑
You would probably be better served researching scientific papers on the subject in general.

How do you recommend I find these papers. I used Google scholar a few minutes ago to find lots but I'd like to know how you do it.

Thanks very much for the information, it's greatly appreciated.

DylanOc1
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by DylanOc1 » Tue Mar 12 2019 20:44

royboy wrote: ↑
Any thing by Barrie Rickards and Martin Gay will be well worth the read .
A trove of info there .........
Any specific books by them?

royboy
Perch
Perch

Post by royboy » Tue Mar 12 2019 23:13

You could start with "Fishing for Big Pike " , Webb and Rickards ,
and "Beginners Guide to Pike Fishing " , Martin Gay .... Much more in depth than it sounds !
Both can be picked up cheaply on ebay.

Mike J
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mike J » Wed Mar 13 2019 09:30

piker60 wrote: ↑

Good luck
Mike J wrote: ↑

How do you recommend I find these papers. I used Google scholar a few minutes ago to find lots but I'd like to know how you do it.

Thanks very much for the information, it's greatly appreciated.

You have a PM