TUNNY by Chris Berry

piker60
Barbel
Barbel

Re: TUNNY by Chris Berry

Post by piker60 »

davelumb wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 10:22 -
Good stuff.

I watched a bit of one video and the rod was in a holder while the fish was being played!
Some fight the Tuna in the holders Dave. Wicked Tina programme demonstrates this. A record fish caught in this way would break IGFA rules though.
"The best argument against democracy, is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter"
W.Churchill
It doesn't matter who you vote for the government still gets in.
mario123
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by mario123 »

the book is now outer print and is going up in price
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb »

I've done the BFT thing off Co Donegal with a guy named Adrian Mulloy find him at Tuna.ie Never caught or hooked up on the 2 days I had out but Adrian holds the Irish record at 967lbs caught single crewed off Rathlin O'Beirne island.
Excellent 2 days out and good company. I believe Phil Wakeford has been out with Adrian as well.
There are BFT off the Welsh, Cornish and Devon coastlines from August through to December so if you are out after mackerel anytime keep your eyes peeled.
I have the book mentioned and yes it does fire the imagination. Having caught sturgeon to 200lbs and 45 minutes to land them, when the guide let's go get another, you do think no let's not's especially when not using a butt pad [it's what your belly button is for] Ha Ha.
mario123
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by mario123 »

i think medlar are going to reprint this
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Duncan Holmes wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 17:52 -
andrew_nagel wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 12:01 -
That's how many of them do it. I know Christian had to have special rod holders and fittings fabricated for his boat. I think they stand and fight them, but others do it directly from the holder. These fish are towing the boat around for miles! I've tried some big game fishing and TBH find fish that physically exhaust me not much fun. I like to relax!
Stand and fight with a 300lb sturgeon in fast water is exhausting enough, let alone with a pelagic fish twice that size.

Not sure how tight they would have the drag when standing and fighting, but my experience showed me if I thumbed the spool too hard on a running fish I had to do a little shuffle to keep upright. :eek:

The most experienced stand-up anglers can apply up to 60lb of drag https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1C7BaEa-iM

My drag max is 28lbs and I could only do that for 20mins once in a fight, gear; self built bent butt 100lb rod, 130lb braidx1200m, Tiagra lefthand and a full harness (inc kidney protector).

As the saying goes 'like pulling on a truck'.

:laughs:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Mike J wrote: Mon Nov 30 2020 10:18 -
Duncan Holmes wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 17:52 -
andrew_nagel wrote: Mon Dec 17 2018 12:01 -
That's how many of them do it. I know Christian had to have special rod holders and fittings fabricated for his boat. I think they stand and fight them, but others do it directly from the holder. These fish are towing the boat around for miles! I've tried some big game fishing and TBH find fish that physically exhaust me not much fun. I like to relax!
Stand and fight with a 300lb sturgeon in fast water is exhausting enough, let alone with a pelagic fish twice that size.

Not sure how tight they would have the drag when standing and fighting, but my experience showed me if I thumbed the spool too hard on a running fish I had to do a little shuffle to keep upright. :eek:

The most experienced stand-up anglers can apply up to 60lb of drag https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x1C7BaEa-iM

My drag max is 28lbs and I could only do that for 20mins once in a fight, gear; self built bent butt 100lb rod, 130lb braidx1200m, Tiagra lefthand and a full harness (inc kidney protector).

As the saying goes 'like pulling on a truck'.

:laughs:
"As the saying goes 'like pulling on a truck'."

As I once described playing a catfish as "being attached to a pick up", I had to up the stakes after experiencing a big sturgeon and used "freight train"

Below is 40lb Lamiglass, saltist 30, 100lb PP, that's bad enough let alone as you describe :eek:
DSC00092.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."
Duncan Holmes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Duncan Holmes »

Luke wrote: Sun Apr 06 2014 14:40 -
The tunny fishery of north-east England was undoubtedly one of the most fascinating parts of angling history during the last century. :thumbs:

However, I preferred The Glory Days of the Giant Scarborough Tunny by Mark Ross. Expensive but worth it :smile:
I have this one coming as a Christmas present, really looking forward to reading it.
"The opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own and do not reflect the view of the any organisation that I may be associated with."