Fantastic Fishes By Harper Fine Angling Books

Fastliner
Perch
Perch

Fantastic Fishes By Harper Fine Angling Books

Post by Fastliner »

I see Fantastic Fishes By Harper Fine angling Books has been released for sale

There is over 50 contributors that have contributed to the Hard back book.

https://www.harperanglingbooks.co.uk/pr ... ic-fishes/
bencarvosso
Chub
Chub

Re: Fantastic Fishes By Harper Fine Angling Books

Post by bencarvosso »

Looks good.

I see both Dave and Nev are contributors...

I hope their chapters are at least 50 pages apart to avoid any animosity lol
Running Ledger Fishing Blog
http://www.bencarvosso.wordpress.com
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

bencarvosso wrote: Tue Nov 01 2022 17:35 -
Looks good.

:boing:
Fastliner
Perch
Perch

Post by Fastliner »

Looks good.

:laughs: :laughs: :handshake:
Dave Horton
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Dave Horton »

Looks good.

Hahahaha!

(Very good Ben face)
norwich lad
Chub
Chub

Post by norwich lad »

Looks like a good reading for the winter evenings, Harpers books always seem to look good anyway. Ive ordered a copy this week. may stir me to go fishing.
Lee Davison,Period Furniture Restoration,Carpentry.in Norfolk.

What You Caught mate, Nothing,Won't fish Here Again!
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

My new purchase arrived yesterday and spent an hour or two thumbing through the book and reading chapters by Brian Ingram, Charles Jardine and Peter Springate, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

First impressions are it's a wow. High quality line drawings of fish captures and specimen fish punctuate each chapter and probably no single book i have ever seen in UK contains so many whoppers and including British record fish too.

I think there is something for even the most discerning of reader including recounts of captures of pike, barbel, carp etc and some belting chapters on some very large perch and there was a nice nod to Frank Guttfield at the start of the book and whose edited book "The Big Fish Scene" fired my specimen fish fire as a teenager and still does.

All in a high quality book and i look forward to reading it fully including a chapter on mullet fishing by Jim Gibbinson which although left field i think will be very interesting.

Definitely worth the publishers price of £35 and yes, well done to the contributors and Mick Cutler another winning compilation by him.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Muskie wrote: Sat Nov 05 2022 11:16 -
My new purchase arrived yesterday and spent an hour or two thumbing through the book and reading chapters by Brian Ingram, Charles Jardine and Peter Springate, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

First impressions are it's a wow. High quality line drawings of fish captures and specimen fish punctuate each chapter and probably no single book i have ever seen in UK contains so many whoppers and including British record fish too.

I think there is something for even the most discerning of reader including recounts of captures of pike, barbel, carp etc and some belting chapters on some very large perch and there was a nice nod to Frank Guttfield at the start of the book and whose edited book "The Big Fish Scene" fired my specimen fish fire as a teenager and still does.

All in a high quality book and i look forward to reading it fully including a chapter on mullet fishing by Jim Gibbinson which although left field i think will be very interesting.

Definitely worth the publishers price of £35 and yes, well done to the contributors and Mick Cutler another winning compilation by him.
I've just flicked through my copy and agree with every word you've said. It's a brilliant book and dare I say would make a great Xmas present for any angler (something for everyone). Mind you, one tiny hiccup I have spotted, a picture has been put in upside down. In my bloody section :cry:
Piking Plonker
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Just ordered, liking the sound of this one. :cool: :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Muskie
Chub
Chub

Post by Muskie »

I have finished reading the book and it is a great read and one of the best compilations if not the best i have had the pleasure to read.

Well recommended. If you get this in your Xmas stocking you will not be disappointed.

Which pic of yours is upside down Mark? Good chapter on jigging for zeds.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Muskie wrote: Sun Nov 13 2022 21:20 -
I have finished reading the book and it is a great read and one of the best compilations if not the best i have had the pleasure to read.

Well recommended. If you get this in your Xmas stocking you will not be disappointed.

Which pic of yours is upside down Mark? Good chapter on jigging for zeds.
The chubby shad, it's upside down. Only the real lure nerds will notice, I guess. Thank you for the kind words. That was all over 10 years ago, so much has changed since then. Those were the really early days targeting the zander on the resis and we had some amazing fishing at times.

Great book! Every single writer has done a great job. Hard to single out one over the over, all excellent in their own way. Hats off to Mick for all the hard work.
Piking Plonker
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Just ordered for Christmas from the mrs😎
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Apologies for not replying sooner – was busy upon release of the book, until an overseas fishing trip, only then to return with Covid (despite double-jabs).

Muskie - thank you for your kind comments, which are greatly appreciated! Really pleased you enjoyed, and hope it’s one you will regularly re-visit in future.

Mark – thanks also for your generous response, now you’ve had chance to see everyone else’s contribution. Don’t think anyone else would notice the shad (different if it was, say, a Rapala Shad Rap) but when photos ‘bleed’ to the edge of a page some of the image is lost. If it was the other way round, then all or part of the shad’s tail would have been missing, making the photo unusable. Anyway mate, really enjoyed and appreciate your valuable chapter on big reservoir zander fishing and techniques. My only regret is I was there at the tail-end (pun intended)! :smile:
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Got one on order as a Christmas present for myself but just noticed it’s being delivered by the Royal Mail, so I’m guessing I’ll get it by Easter! 🤪
Andy Sewell
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Andytheammer wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 20:58 -
Got one on order as a Christmas present for myself but just noticed it’s being delivered by the Royal Mail, so I’m guessing I’ll get it by Easter! 🤪
I’m the same Andy , ordered first of December, still no sign😢
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Andy and Si - spoke to Stephen Harper yesterday and he's had numerous messages from people still waiting, due to the postal strikes. With two days lost this week and two planned for next week, all we can ask is you bear with it. Hopefully, the backlog will be cleared and they will soon arrive. Thanks for ordering, and the wait proves worth it. Best wishes.
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

MICK CUTLER wrote: Thu Dec 15 2022 20:35 -
Andy and Si - spoke to Stephen Harper yesterday and he's had numerous messages from people still waiting, due to the postal strikes. With two days lost this week and two planned for next week, all we can ask is you bear with it. Hopefully, the backlog will be cleared and they will soon arrive. Thanks for ordering, and the wait proves worth it. Best wishes.
Cheers mick, I’m not too worried my mrs just wants it here to keep me quiet over Christmas I think 👍🤣
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

suffolk si wrote: Thu Dec 15 2022 21:05 -
Cheers mick, I’m not too worried my mrs just wants it here to keep me quiet over Christmas I think 👍🤣
Haha, well let's hope for her sake it turns up soon! :laughs: Have a good Christmas though Si!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

MICK CUTLER wrote: Thu Dec 15 2022 21:31 -
suffolk si wrote: Thu Dec 15 2022 21:05 -
Haha, well let's hope for her sake it turns up soon! :laughs: Have a good Christmas though Si!
You too, Steve’s communication has been great and it’s out of his control so it’s no biggie👍
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Thanks Si. Yes, unfortunately it is and he's been burdened keeping everyone informed. Your patience is greatly appreciated though mate!
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

I have just ordered one from the missus, I'll let her know at some point soon :grin: Cheers Mick
Ray Waker
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Hey Ray, you're here as well! :grin: Might be a good idea mate, in case she starts wondering where it is? Cheers
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

MICK CUTLER wrote: Wed Dec 14 2022 15:33 -
Apologies for not replying sooner – was busy upon release of the book, until an overseas fishing trip, only then to return with Covid (despite double-jabs).

Muskie - thank you for your kind comments, which are greatly appreciated! Really pleased you enjoyed, and hope it’s one you will regularly re-visit in future.

Mark – thanks also for your generous response, now you’ve had chance to see everyone else’s contribution. Don’t think anyone else would notice the shad (different if it was, say, a Rapala Shad Rap) but when photos ‘bleed’ to the edge of a page some of the image is lost. If it was the other way round, then all or part of the shad’s tail would have been missing, making the photo unusable. Anyway mate, really enjoyed and appreciate your valuable chapter on big reservoir zander fishing and techniques. My only regret is I was there at the tail-end (pun intended)! :smile:
Thanks for the explanation Mick. No big deal and I'm probably the only one who'd notice it. I assume the contributors 'regular' copies are all stuck in the post or go out once the rush dies down, as I've not had that yet. The strikes must be a nightmare for the publishers leading up to Xmas. I wanted to gift it to my mate who actually netted the zander referred to in the book.

I will say it again, what an awesome book! Chaps, just buy it! One of the best books I've seen in a very long time.
Piking Plonker
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Got mine today! :clap: :clap:
Andytheammer
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Andytheammer »

Received mine Monday, tbf Royal Mail deliveries in my area are a lottery! Feel sorry for anyone who’s relying on the post to earn a crust atm
Andy Sewell
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Andytheammer wrote: Wed Dec 21 2022 10:16 -
Received mine Monday, tbf Royal Mail deliveries in my area are a lottery! Feel sorry for anyone who’s relying on the post to earn a crust atm
We’ve had second class parcels taking two weeks to get delivered for the shop😡on a tangent I spoke to my postie mate today, he’s got fifty quid in tips so far and Royal Mail give them a £200 Christmas bonus, the unions keep that quiet! I won’t be getting that this year!!!
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Thanks for the explanation Mick. No big deal and I'm probably the only one who'd notice it. I assume the contributors 'regular' copies are all stuck in the post or go out once the rush dies down, as I've not had that yet. The strikes must be a nightmare for the publishers leading up to Xmas. I wanted to gift it to my mate who actually netted the zander referred to in the book.

I will say it again, what an awesome book! Chaps, just buy it! One of the best books I've seen in a very long time.
[/quote]

Yes Mark, the second copies now won't be sent until the new year. Hopefully, by then, the problem with backlogs in depots will have been resolved.

Andy/Si - glad your books eventually arrived!
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

Well I’ve im a couple of chapters in have to say it’s looking like another fantastic book, beautiful artwork ,( even the wife thought it was pretty!) and the content is equally impressive, worth the wait👍😬
Mercman
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mercman »

I am in the same place as you Si, read a few chapters and have to say Mick has cracked it again. If you bought Esox Lucius then you know the quality of his books. This is one not to miss, highly recommended!
Ray Waker
MICK CUTLER
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by MICK CUTLER »

Si/Ray - That's really great to hear, thank you! All elements of the book have been a monumental task, and those efforts have been matched by the sublime design skills and quality production standards of Stephen Harper. I will convey your comments to him, if you don't mind? Also, I must say, hats-off to the 50 contributors' and 4 artists' who generously collaborated for the benefit of ‘Angling Projects for Kids’.