Biology and ecology of pike by Christian Skov

Drunkmonkey
Stickleback
Stickleback

Biology and ecology of pike by Christian Skov

Post by Drunkmonkey »

Hi,
Have any of you read 'Biology and Ecology of Pike' by Christian Skov?
I'm sure it isn't the most straight forward read but have any of read this book? Is it worth getting?

Thanks
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Biology and ecology of pike by Christian Skov

Post by Mike J »

Ive not heard of it until your thread, so I thank you.
With forty plus contributors and two well qualified editors it should be very interesting if only to a minority of pike anglers.
If you get a copy post your opinions and I will do the same.

https://www.routledge.com/Biology-and-E ... 0367781569

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

It might be an interesting read.
I acquired the papers on Windermere and Ian Winfield. Very little is of much use to us anglers, some of it is interesting although some of it is quite is disturbing what research is done. How long can a pike live without food. Can a blind pike catch live food ( they probably didn’t stumble across a blind pike so use your imagination) and some bits were worse than that. Let’s just say nobody would be allowed to do that sort of thing on Otters and get away with it, why shouldn’t we know how long a Otter can go hungry before death ?
Drunkmonkey
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Drunkmonkey »

Thank you both for your replies, it is very much appreciated. I can't seem to find anything to read that isn't +30years old or extortionately priced.
I've got Mick Brown's new book next and then I think I'll give Skov a read. Thanks very much
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Jan 07 2023 18:54 -
It might be an interesting read.
I acquired the papers on Windermere and Ian Winfield. Very little is of much use to us anglers, some of it is interesting although some of it is quite is disturbing what research is done. How long can a pike live without food. Can a blind pike catch live food ( they probably didn’t stumble across a blind pike so use your imagination) and some bits were worse than that. Let’s just say nobody would be allowed to do that sort of thing on Otters and get away with it, why shouldn’t we know how long a Otter can go hungry before death ?
I think I would find it interesting but some of the research you mention is for the sake of its self and does nothing for science.

Cheers, Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Drunkmonkey wrote: Wed Jan 11 2023 12:29 -
Thank you both for your replies, it is very much appreciated. I can't seem to find anything to read that isn't +30years old or extortionately priced.
I've got Mick Brown's new book next and then I think I'll give Skov a read. Thanks very much

What exactly are you seeking?

For the very latest in thinking and method evaluation look no further than the recent book by Jens Bursell Pike Fever. You can also sign up to Jens website and receive all his developments immediately they go into print, and best of all it comes for free of charge :grin:

For applied science Dr Emily Winter did her PhD research on the movement of pike on the Norfolk Broads systems. Work on pike movements has also been carried out by the Game and Wildlife Trust at Fordingbridge, Ive got some more details but not to hand at the mo. PM me if your interested.

Researchgate is another source of good information.

Hope this helps.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The book arrived earlier this week since when I have been browsing the various chapters. Below are my initial impressions.

It has small size text that in a sharp print so is easy to read. It contains numerous diagrams, graphs and calculations and very few photographs, its not a large book, 9.5x6.5inches but with 400pages its quite thick.

The book is soley about the fish as a species and the numberous scientific studies that have been completed globally over the past twenty years.
If you are a thinking angler it contains great deal of information you would find interesting.

Best price Amazon.

Drunkmonkey
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by Drunkmonkey »

Thanks Mike J. Sorry for the late reply, its been a busy few weeks. Thanks for your comments. I'll try pike fever, thanks