Must have angling books.

Danhfromwales
Stickleback
Stickleback

Must have angling books.

Post by Danhfromwales »

What would you say are the must have angling books hat you would recommend to someone wanting to fill their shelf?

Doesn't necessarily ha s to be pike and predators books, all aspects of angling. Could even be just tales of fishing and less "technique" based.

Bonus points for non angling but fieldsports related.
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Re: Must have angling books.

Post by Dave R »

Here are my fave pike books, in no particular order: Fishing for Big Pike (Ray Webb & Barrie Rickards), Fishing for Big Pike Revisited (Barrie Rickards), Neville’s Everything you need to know about Pike Fishing, Dave’s Pike Fishing with Lures a modern approach, Just Williams (whatever happened to Nige - is he on here?), Dimples to Wrinkles and Beyond (Bill Palmer).

Anything by Clive Gammon and Andrew Pearson is highly recommended; these writers focused mainly on sea fishing. Pearson was a prolific bass angler in the 1960s and led a colourful but all too short life.
Jack H
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Jack H »

Not pike fishing, but Still Searching by Terry Hearn is a great book. Really captures the excitement and enjoyment of fishing.

Jack
suffolk si
Zander
Zander

Post by suffolk si »

pikers progress and most of mick browns stuff are taken off my bookshelf the most.
sixty years a fisherman and a specimen hunters year by john wilson are another two fav reads
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Fred's book of dreams or to give it its correct title The Doomsday Book Of Mammoth Pike.

Nothing comes close to sparking the imagination and giving inspiration to fish the most unlikely places.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

One of the few angling books I re-read is Jack Hilton's Quest for Carp.
squimp
Roach
Roach

Post by squimp »

Dave R wrote: Mon Dec 18 2023 21:56 -
Here are my fave pike books, in no particular order: Fishing for Big Pike (Ray Webb & Barrie Rickards), Fishing for Big Pike Revisited (Barrie Rickards), Neville’s Everything you need to know about Pike Fishing, Dave’s Pike Fishing with Lures a modern approach, Just Williams (whatever happened to Nige - is he on here?), Dimples to Wrinkles and Beyond (Bill Palmer).

Anything by Clive Gammon and Andrew Pearson is highly recommended; these writers focused mainly on sea fishing. Pearson was a prolific bass angler in the 1960s and led a colourful but all too short life.
It’s Anthony Pearson; and his books are great. ‘Fisherman’ is particularly good.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Dick Walker’s “No need to Lie” is very enjoyable, beautifully illustrated, and lives up to its title.
Peter Newman
Dave R
Roach
Roach

Post by Dave R »

squimp wrote: Tue Dec 19 2023 19:25 -
Dave R wrote: Mon Dec 18 2023 21:56 -

It’s Anthony Pearson; and his books are great. ‘Fisherman’ is particularly good.
Yep, you’re correct. Pearson’s “Successful Shore Fishing” (1967) and “Sea Fishing in North Wales and Anglesey” (1968) are also great reads. If only we had those fish stocks now…
JoeNickel
Chub
Chub

Post by JoeNickel »

Page & Bailey - Predator Becomes the Prey
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
d roberts
Perch
Perch

Post by d roberts »

Tony Miles - Elite Barbel

Barry Mconnell - The Eel Angler
Fentiger01
Disco Dave
Disco Dave

Post by Fentiger01 »

Two of my favourites are 'Fenland Pike' and 'Pikers Progression'. :cool: :thumbs:
Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

Danhfromwales wrote: Mon Dec 18 2023 20:56 -
What would you say are the must have angling books hat you would recommend to someone wanting to fill their shelf?

Doesn't necessarily ha s to be pike and predators books, all aspects of angling. Could even be just tales of fishing and less "technique" based.

Anything by John Gierach with the exception of Fishing Bamboo.

BB Little Grey Men or Manka the Sky Gypsy to start you off.

Fred J Taylor books on both angling and field sports.

Yates How to Fish, very nice read.

The Earth is Enough, Harry Middleton a coming of age story,a little fishing, but also turkey shooting, mountains and family.

That's enough for now.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Monts wrote: Wed Jan 03 2024 10:24 -
Danhfromwales wrote: Mon Dec 18 2023 20:56 -

Anything by John Gierach with the exception of Fishing Bamboo.

BB Little Grey Men or Manka the Sky Gypsy to start you off.

Fred J Taylor books on both angling and field sports.

Yates How to Fish, very nice read.

The Earth is Enough, Harry Middleton a coming of age story,a little fishing, but also turkey shooting, mountains and family.

That's enough for now.
BB & FJ Taylor definitely a staple for any book shelf.
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

The Compleat Troller, or the Art of Trolling, by Robert Nobbes.

Published in 1682, it is a book about general pike fishing...not trolling. Every pike angler should have a copy. It is amazing how little pike angling has changed since 1682.
You have to get used to reading f as s , but it is well worth the effort. Robert Nobbes was a vicar from Northamptonshire. Interesting information about all of the UK main rivers.

Got my copy from Forgotten Books.
I have nothing to do with Forgotten Books, so will not benefit if you buy a copy!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

greencard1 wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 08:22 -

Published in 1682, it is a book about general pike fishing...not trolling. Every pike angler should have a copy. It is amazing how little pike angling has changed since 1682.
You have to get used to reading f as s , but it is well worth the effort. Robert Nobbes was a vicar from Northamptonshire. Interesting information about all of the UK main rivers.

I have nothing to do with Forgotten Books, so will not benefit if you buy a copy!
Red online - https://archive.org/details/compleattrollero00nobb :grin:
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 09:54 -

That's interesting Dave.

Cheating a bit though. Why shouldn't everyone struggle like I did? :roll:

Did you read it? If so, what do you think?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

greencard1 wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 10:57 -

That's interesting Dave.

I only just found it. Might have a read later. I priced the book up used. The reprints from India weren't too dear, but the originals were a bit steep!
greencard1
Perch
Perch

Post by greencard1 »

davelumb wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 11:43 -
greencard1 wrote: Sat Jan 06 2024 10:57 -

That's interesting Dave.

I only just found it. Might have a read later. I priced the book up used. The reprints from India weren't too dear, but the originals were a bit steep!
Reading some of this old stuff, you get a feeling of what the author is saying, rather than a precise translation.
I think the paragraph on page 49, that basically translates to 'when you are catching, you are happy' is fantastic. He even states that you stop blaming your tackle when you are catching! Quite amazing for 1682.