Never made it to production?

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Never made it to production?

Post by davelumb » Sat May 12 2018 13:01

Brad Ruh sent me these BullDawg based baits when I was selling Musky Innovations lures. As far as I know they were never marketed under the MI brand. I'll photograph another lure that didn't get to market later.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Never made it to production?

Post by davelumb » Sat May 12 2018 13:31

Here's the other bait.

The bottom one is a prototype. Roughly moulded with an Invader tail welded on. The action was 'different', close to that of a wobbled deadbait, and a bit erratic. You had to concentrate on working it. Pike liked it and I caught on it straight away. Then had a few failed hook-ups. Nothing big ever grabbed it but I'm sure they would have inhaled it. It's very much a shallow fishing lure so it didn't get used much on the waters I was fishing at the time.

The top lure is the properly moulded version. Looks much better. Only one problem. It was unfishable! I couldn't get to work at all. I tried various mods to another sample but no joy. Somehow 'improving' the mould messed it up. Oh well. Just a little bit of history, I suppose.

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Sat May 12 2018 20:18

It must have been a very interesting time Dave for you Dave, being at the cutting edge and helping to develop new baits.

Will.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat May 12 2018 20:23

Looking back I suppose they were pioneering times. I did some prodding about the need for shallow running Dawgs and Invaders. So I guess I have played a tiny part - the Shallow Invader was being developed, I just kept nagging!

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun May 13 2018 12:35

If they`d rigged it on its side, they`d have invented the Dying Dawg 20yrs ahead of time :scratch:

Did you ever swim the top baits Dave?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 13 2018 15:46

Yeah, I fished the top two, and gave one to Grassby. They weren't up to much. But then again, at the time Dawgs were still working like magic so it was hard to try anything else for long! I might take one for an outing next week. Probably for two casts then it'll be back on the Squirrely Burt...

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun May 13 2018 15:54

davelumb wrote:
Yeah, I fished the top two, and gave one to Grassby. They weren't up to much. But then again, at the time Dawgs were still working like magic so it was hard to try anything else for long! I might take one for an outing next week. Probably for two casts then it'll be back on the Squirrely Burt...
The tail paddles look a bit undersized for the overall size of the bait?

Didn`t realise you were chucking a few lures again Dave, nice one :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 13 2018 16:31

I only lure fish in May. Short evening sessions of two or three hours when it's warm and sunny and I'm bored. :laughs:

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Mon May 14 2018 16:41

davelumb wrote:
Looking back I suppose they were pioneering times. I did some prodding about the need for shallow running Dawgs and Invaders. So I guess I have played a tiny part - the Shallow Invader was being developed, I just kept nagging!
A daft question and one that perhaps has no definitive answer, but if you asked for input on a new lure to hit the market what would you be looking at? :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon May 14 2018 17:07

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
A daft question and one that perhaps has no definitive answer, but if you asked for input on a new lure to hit the market what would you be looking at? :grin:
Not sure I understand the question. :scratch:

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Mon May 14 2018 17:15

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I did say it was a daft question.OK manufactures today are seemingly coming out with the "Must Have Lure" puts twenty's in the net for fun. Or the latest must-have Perch lure etc. But to me, it's just reinventing the wheel. But in your learned opinion, is there something you would like to see made?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon May 14 2018 17:56

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I did say it was a daft question.OK manufactures today are seemingly coming out with the "Must Have Lure" puts twenty's in the net for fun. Or the latest must-have Perch lure etc. But to me, it's just reinventing the wheel. But in your learned opinion, is there something you would like to see made?
Ah.

No. I have no imagination! :laughs:

As you say, it's all about marketing thee days and most 'new' lures are variations on existing themes. Or gimmicks.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Wed May 16 2018 06:32

Back in the Dave Scarff days and when Lumby was fresh faced and his hair had colour I followed them and the big jerk bait trend and caught plenty almost entirely with my own home made versions. Do you remember my Patent Pending Dave ? I caught a lot on it back then..... I reckon the soon to appear Slider was awfully similar :wink:

I just about never cast a jerks any more since the advent of soft plastics I did get into making them crudely and they work well enough and caught, especially my own magdawgs.
DSCN0452.JPG
I still carry a few of the old favourites when I'm out just for old times sake and kid myself to chuck one every now and then.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by martin godliman on Wed May 16 2018 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed May 16 2018 07:23

The Patent pending does ring a bell. I also remember a lure even uglier than some of yours. The Warthog. :wink:

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Wed May 16 2018 08:38

davelumb wrote:
The Patent pending does ring a bell. I also remember a lure even uglier than some of yours. The Warthog. :wink:
Ah yes Tim's attempt :laughs:

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Wed May 16 2018 11:19

martin godliman wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Think Tim sent me one of those years back, were they the ones with mesh moulded into the tail to make it tear proof?

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Wed May 16 2018 13:24

Mark_Houghton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Think Tim sent me one of those years back, were they the ones with mesh moulded into the tail to make it tear proof?
I remember that now you mention it ultimately came to nowt....he has since got real job and retrained as plumber with a corgi ticket and charges like a wounded rhino :laughs:

He just about never fishes for pike any more and is much more interested in lure fishing for perch, zander, large and small mouth bass in America when he can get away.

We're off to Spain again this year to have a go at the bass there in Cijara....probably I'll spend time fishing for pike as well.

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Wed May 16 2018 14:08

martin godliman wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I remember that now you mention it ultimately came to nowt....he has since got real job and retrained as plumber with a corgi ticket and charges like a wounded rhino :laughs:

He just about never fishes for pike any more and is much more interested in lure fishing for perch, zander, large and small mouth bass in America when he can get away.

We're off to Spain again this year to have a go at the bass there in Cijara....probably I'll spend time fishing for pike as well.
:laughs: :laughs: :laughs: Yeah I know about his aversion to Pike nowadays Martin, and his hatred of Chub :laughs:

The mesh was a good idea at the time, havent seen anything similar since then though.....

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 17 2018 20:44

I might take one for an outing next week. Probably for two casts then it'll be back on the Squirrely Burt...

Two casts were all I needed to remember why they were in a storage box and not a usage box. Along with some other stuff I took for a try out! :laughs:

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri May 18 2018 08:19

davelumb wrote:
I might take one for an outing next week. Probably for two casts then it'll be back on the Squirrely Burt...

Two casts were all I needed to remember why they were in a storage box and not a usage box. Along with some other stuff I took for a try out! :laughs:
That bad eh mate? :laughs: :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 18 2018 08:23

Pretty much. The paddle tail on the dawgalike won't work at slow speed, but speed up and the lure rolls on its side a bit. I suppose I could chop it off and weld a different one on, but there's no point. Might as well butcher a regular Dawg that's lost it's tail.

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri May 18 2018 08:41

davelumb wrote:
Pretty much. The paddle tail on the dawgalike won't work at slow speed, but speed up and the lure rolls on its side a bit. I suppose I could chop it off and weld a different one on, but there's no point. Might as well butcher a regular Dawg that's lost it's tail.
The small size of the tail paddle vs the bulky body was something i noticed straight away Dave. Didnt look like it would do much, unless the plastic was mega soft.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri May 18 2018 10:29

Looks like the kind of paddle tail you see on sea baits - I bought a few with similar, angled paddles, expecting them to be OK for pike but, like a lot of sea lures, the action is very muted.

I think one of the very first paddle tails sold in the UK was the Renowsky Shad - they were brilliant. My mate Del Bennett had a 30 on a 9" one in the 1990's when hardly anyone was using them - possibly the first 30 to a softbait in the UK?
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri May 18 2018 10:56

John Milford wrote:
Looks like the kind of paddle tail you see on sea baits - I bought a few with similar, angled paddles, expecting them to be OK for pike but, like a lot of sea lures, the action is very muted.

I think one of the very first paddle tails sold in the UK was the Renowsky Shad - they were brilliant. My mate Del Bennett had a 30 on a 9" one in the 1990's when hardly anyone was using them - possibly the first 30 to a softbait in the UK?
I vaguely remember those.....weren`t they really soft too? i`m sure a mate had the spinner versions with the blade in front :scratch:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri May 18 2018 12:22

Mark_Houghton wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I vaguely remember those.....weren`t they really soft too? i`m sure a mate had the spinner versions with the blade in front :scratch:
Yes Mark, really soft and lifelike. The Renowsky frog was a popular bait - I think the one your mate had with the spinner would have been the 'Swiss Lunker Minnow'. Del caught his 30 on a big paddle tail shad which were sold un-rigged.
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 18 2018 13:21

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
The small size of the tail paddle vs the bulky body was something i noticed straight away Dave. Didnt look like it would do much, unless the plastic was mega soft.
It's quite stiff, and more like rubber than the usual plastisol.

Mark_Houghton
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri May 18 2018 14:14

John Milford wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
John Milford wrote:

Yes Mark, really soft and lifelike. The Renowsky frog was a popular bait - I think the one your mate had with the spinner would have been the 'Swiss Lunker Minnow'. Del caught his 30 on a big paddle tail shad which were sold un-rigged.
yes, that name rings a bell :thumbs: