Some Cane and Floats

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Some Cane and Floats

Post by John Milford » Sun Aug 05 2018 23:02

I like those Martin! :thumbs:

I still use celluloid floats like your 'interloper' :pipe: (although I keep the nicest ones in my non-fishing collection).

The ones I don't mind using are the second-best of any 'doubles' or bad re-paints by previous owners (which I've stripped off and redone to as near 'original' as possible).

"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Mon Aug 06 2018 07:39

It is a big one 8"...oooerr I will never use it John, it clearly belongs in your collection.....PM
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Mon Aug 06 2018 20:35

A few (sorry, I mean a lot) of vintage celluloid floats from my collection. I particularly like the very kitsch ones with antennae and comedy sight-bobs - they are very much of their 50's - 60's era and do not come up for sale very often.

The five from the left below are all self-cockers. The furthest can be partially filled with water by pulling out the tip. The four next to it are Allcocks and known as 'celluloid self-cocking river floats' - but look more suited to stillwater fishing to me!

More basic celluloids - the dumpy one on the far right can be loaded with shot by removing the cap on its tip.
Last edited by John Milford on Mon Aug 06 2018 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Aug 06 2018 20:42

Fifty three old floats. Sheer insanity. :laughs:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Mon Aug 06 2018 20:53

davelumb wrote:
A mere drop in the ocean . . . . . as I will no doubt reveal in due course :red:

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Aug 06 2018 20:54

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
A mere drop in the ocean . . . . . as I will no doubt reveal in due course :red:
I didn't imagine for a nanosecond that would be the entire collection. :wink:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Mon Aug 06 2018 21:01

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
OK, my celluloid 'Allcocks Lumia' collection will follow tomorrow. I'll bet we all had one or two of those, back in the day :pipe:

I buy fishing rods.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Tue Aug 07 2018 10:35

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
OK, my celluloid 'Allcocks Lumia' collection will follow tomorrow. I'll bet we all had one or two of those, back in the day :pipe:
As promised. How many of us went cross-eyed peering at these into the dusk when we were younger? :pipe: (And reeling in to 're charge' them with a torch every few minutes!) :laughs:

I buy fishing rods.

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Tue Aug 07 2018 16:55

I've been getting some tackle ready for the weekend and these popped up.

IMG_0937.JPG

I love that little "Perch Bobber". But the Crayfish have rendered most of my non-lure gear redundant. It was fun watching it do its thing.
003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Monts on Tue Aug 07 2018 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Tue Aug 07 2018 17:20

Monts wrote:

IMG_0937.JPG

I love that little "Perch Bobber". But the Crayfish have rendered most of my non-lure gear redundant. It was fun watching it do its thing.

003.JPG
That little 'camo' Perch Bob is a nice one (not to mention, the cracking perch!) :thumbs: A couple of the Grayling Bob's have still got the original paint in their bottom eyes!

Signal crayfish are a confounded niusance! They're all I caught the last time I went 'grayling' fishing :sad:

Last edited by John Milford on Tue Aug 07 2018 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

I buy fishing rods.

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Tue Aug 07 2018 17:25

John Milford wrote:
Monts wrote:

IMG_0937.JPG

003.JPG
That little 'camo' Perch Bob is a nice one :thumbs: A couple of the Grayling Bob's have still got the original paint in their bottom eyes!

Signal crayfish are a confounded niusance! They're all I caught the last time I went 'grayling' fishing :sad:

I'm not even sure where I got the floats from John? But I've not bait fished on the river now for a good few years owing to these, a young lad walked up to my peg and asked me to untangle his rig.
Cray.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Houghton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Tue Aug 07 2018 19:50

Monts wrote:

IMG_0937.JPG

003.JPG
Those floats take me back....remember buying stuff like that when I first started freshwater fishing about 1980 :thumbs:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Tue Aug 07 2018 21:01

martin godliman wrote:
It is a big one 8"...oooerr I will never use it John, it clearly belongs in your collection.....PM
Do you recognise 'Big Bob' on the left Martin? It's the one you very kindly gave to me at a (LAS?) Conference a few years ago!

It's an Auger 'Nevamis' float - recognisable by the distinctive red bands at the top of their stems. I've got a couple in use, including a self-cocking antennae, which I attach 'upside down' as a floater controller, so that the antennae keeps the fluorocarbon hook length on the surface :wink:

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Aug 07 2018 21:14

Monts wrote:

IMG_0937.JPG

003.JPG
I reckon everyone had one or more of those grayling floats. I can't remember actually using mine. I do remember always having to poke the paint out of float eyes though.

The luminous float I had I found somewhere. Being scared of the dark in those days I was never going to buy one!

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Tue Aug 07 2018 22:03

John Milford wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
Do you recognise 'Big Bob' on the left Martin? It's the one you very kindly gave to me at a (LAS?) Conference a few years ago!

It's an Auger 'Nevamis' float - recognisable by the distinctive red bands at the top of their stems. I've got a couple in use, including a self-cocking antennae, which I attach 'upside down' as a floater controller, so that the antennae keeps the fluorocarbon hook length on the surface :wink:

I do remember John I thought that you might not be interested in it because I thought was sea fishing float just because it came with a lot sea fishing gear my brother found in a box somewhere. I'm glad it fills niche in your collection :thumbs:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Wed Aug 08 2018 22:58

A few more familiar old plastic floats. These are French, made by the Bouillard brothers, Henri and Rene. Most are marked 'Modele Depose' and can sometimes be found with the maker's mark 'BHR'. I come across them quite regularly in mixed lots of old fishing tackle - they seem to remain in good condition, due to their tough plastic construction, despite dating from the 1950's. The pike bungs are a little odd (like lots of French fishing gear!) being slightly oval in cross section.

They were imported by wholesalers like Allcocks and Lee of Redditch, and retailed at about half the price of traditional cork bungs.

Close-up of the maker's mark:

I buy fishing rods.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Thu Aug 09 2018 06:34

Hmmm the, plastic, the colour, somehow the French fishing gear style is a little less aesthetically pleasing than cork and celluloid etc but still essential to have in a proper range in a collection I guess.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Thu Aug 09 2018 08:00

martin godliman wrote:
Hmmm the, plastic, the colour, somehow the French fishing gear style is a little less aesthetically pleasing than cork and celluloid etc but still essential to have in a proper range in a collection I guess.
They're not exactly aesthetic objects are they Martin! Collecting is an esoteric thing - and sometimes the quirkiness of certain items is as interesting as another's fine appearance and craftsmanship.

Take these 'kids' plastic floats - they're terrible, yet somehow charming and sentimental at the same time! I wouldn't part with them and value them beyond their tangible worth for simply what they are.

I buy fishing rods.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Thu Aug 09 2018 08:20

Exactly far more about them, more satisfying than the French stuff.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Aug 09 2018 08:49

John Milford wrote:
martin godliman wrote:
They're not exactly aesthetic objects are they Martin! Collecting is an esoteric thing - and sometimes the quirkiness of certain items is as interesting as another's fine appearance and craftsmanship.

Take these 'kids' plastic floats - they're terrible, yet somehow charming and sentimental at the same time! I wouldn't part with them and value them beyond their tangible worth for simply what they are.

Did Martin make those?

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Thu Aug 09 2018 09:26

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
martin godliman wrote:

Did Martin make those?
How cruel :cry:

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Thu Aug 09 2018 10:00

John Milford wrote:
A few more familiar old plastic floats. These are French, made by the Bouillard brothers, Henri and Rene. Most are marked 'Modele Depose' and can sometimes be found with the maker's mark 'BHR'. I come across them quite regularly in mixed lots of old fishing tackle - they seem to remain in good condition, due to their tough plastic construction, despite dating from the 1950's. The pike bungs are a little odd (like lots of French fishing gear!) being slightly oval in cross section.

They were imported by wholesalers like Allcocks and Lee of Redditch, and retailed at about half the price of traditional cork bungs.

Close-up of the maker's mark:
Ive got a few of them in cupboard. Missing the top eye bit though.
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Aug 10 2018 20:54

I bought these about 12 years ago and they've hardly seen the light of day since. I thought they were 'interesting' and appreciated the time and effort that went into them. But . . . . . what does anyone else think?

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Aug 10 2018 21:03

Folk art. :thumbs:

Andrew Croft
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew Croft » Fri Aug 10 2018 21:22

Cool little things to own but i wouldnt want loads :smile:
davelumb wrote:
Folk art. :thumbs:
I read that as "fook that" :laughs:
Let me ask you one question. Is your money that good. Will it buy you forgiveness. Do you think that it could. I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul.

Mattjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mattjb » Fri Aug 10 2018 22:22

I quite like them,certainly unusual and different to anything else out there

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Fri Aug 10 2018 23:49

John, I don't know about you but I love anything that is well made and well crafted and in this case well decorated as well, no matter what it is, if someone has spent precious time and effort creating something special I am only too happy to offer it a home, I would be more than happy to have them as part of my modest collection, as I am sure you are.
Small items like floats have a very tactile quality to them which I love, don't lock them away out of sight, leave them lying out somewhere where folks can pick them up and touch them and admire them.
Collecting to me is not just about owning but also about sharing (and I know you get that too), I love to show off my modest collection of memorabilia, its just that not many folks I know are really that interested in the stuff I collect :sad: .

We are quite niche IMO :wink: .

Will.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sat Aug 11 2018 08:45

I enjoy hearing and seeing John's stuff and his nerdy knowledge of the subject 'by proxy' so to speak without having to get into it myself.
I suppose some of the excitement is in the hunt finding or discovering an item and the satisfaction of getting it and adding it to your collection....that's always incomplete !

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 11 2018 11:35

Will Smith wrote:
John, I don't know about you but I love anything that is well made and well crafted and in this case well decorated as well, no matter what it is, if someone has spent precious time and effort creating something special I am only too happy to offer it a home, I would be more than happy to have them as part of my modest collection, as I am sure you are.
Small items like floats have a very tactile quality to them which I love, don't lock them away out of sight, leave them lying out somewhere where folks can pick them up and touch them and admire them.
Collecting to me is not just about owning but also about sharing (and I know you get that too), I love to show off my modest collection of memorabilia, its just that not many folks I know are really that interested in the stuff I collect :sad: .

Will.
I agree with all of that Will, but unfortunately virtually none of my friends have the same interest as me, so that's why I like sharing images (and nerdiness Martin :laughs: ) on here.

The tactile quality of 'small objects of desire' is one of the great pleasures of collecting. Jeff Dela Mura also summed it up brilliantly when he wrote something along the lines of 'The joy of collecting consists mainly of hours happily organising things into boxes and occasionally re-organising them into completely different boxes!'.

Martin also hit on 'the thrill of the hunt'. My twin brother Rob gave me some great advice in this respect when he said "Always pick up an interesting box and shake it and, if it rattles, open it". :thumbs:

I like to have something in mind to look out for when I'm at car boot and antique fairs. Currently it is something completely trivial - sqezy bottle tops! It doesn't really matter what, as long as there is a slight sense of purpose in the hunt. Of course - all sorts of other things are stumbled upon in the course of the search! :pipe:

I buy fishing rods.

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Sat Aug 11 2018 12:03

John Milford wrote:
Will Smith wrote:

Will.
I agree with all of that Will, but unfortunately virtually none of my friends have the same interest as me, so that's why I like sharing images (and nerdiness Martin :laughs: ) on here.

The tactile quality of 'small objects of desire' is one of the great pleasures of collecting. Jeff Dela Mura also summed it up brilliantly when he wrote something along the lines of 'The joy of collecting consists mainly of hours happily organising things into boxes and occasionally re-organising them into completely different boxes!'.

Martin also hit on 'the thrill of the hunt'. My twin brother Rob gave me some great advice in this respect when he said "Always pick up an interesting box and shake it and, if it rattles, open it". :thumbs:

I like to have something in mind to look out for when I'm at car boot and antique fairs. Currently it is something completely trivial - sqezy bottle tops! It doesn't really matter what, as long as there is a slight sense of purpose in the hunt. Of course - all sorts of other things are stumbled upon in the course of the search! :pipe:
:laughs: :laughs: I just mentioned on another post that three squeeze bottle tops sold a day or two ago on eBay for £16.99 plus I think £3.99 postage, there is a fortune lying in landfill sites up and down the country, :laughs: .

Will.