Time to try them again . . . .

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Post Reply
Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Will Smith » Sat Dec 21 2019 00:34

John Milford wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Are the postage costs from Canada different from the USA, less expensive I mean ?

Will.
I think Canada is a little cheaper Will.

Not all the American sellers are ridiculously expensive on post, but many simply don't bother to research and offer the cheapest options.
Perhaps I should look into it in a bit more depth John and try to find a supplier out there who is prepared to ship stuff at a reasonable cost, as Mark has just pointed out it is very frustrating when you see so many lovely old lures for sale for so little money, at least until you bring shipping costs into the equation.
Thank's for the info.

Will.

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Will Smith » Sat Dec 21 2019 00:40

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
I may have to expand my horizons Mark, I used to buy loads of gear form America years ago when the 'shipping' costs were reasonable then it all went t*ts-up as far as that was concerned so I just don't bother now.

Will.
I rarely bother too nowadays mate, unless a proper bargain presents itself. It`s even more annoying when lures are listed for peanuts but the shipping is extortionate....
Ah men to that bro. Does ma heed in :hissy: .

Will.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Dec 21 2019 00:43

Will Smith wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
I may have to expand my horizons Mark, I used to buy loads of gear form America years ago when the 'shipping' costs were reasonable then it all went t*ts-up as far as that was concerned so I just don't bother now.

Will.
I rarely bother too nowadays mate, unless a proper bargain presents itself. It`s even more annoying when lures are listed for peanuts but the shipping is extortionate....
Ah men to that bro. Does ma heed in :hissy: .

Will.
When you come across the likes of Mag Tadpollys listed for 2 or 3 quid, then the shipping is £20+ its enough to make you weep.....

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Sat Dec 21 2019 10:03

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Will Smith wrote:
I may have to expand my horizons Mark, I used to buy loads of gear form America years ago when the 'shipping' costs were reasonable then it all went t*ts-up as far as that was concerned so I just don't bother now.

Will.
I rarely bother too nowadays mate, unless a proper bargain presents itself. It`s even more annoying when lures are listed for peanuts but the shipping is extortionate....
Ah men to that bro. Does ma heed in :hissy: .

Will.
When you come across the likes of Mag Tadpollys listed for 2 or 3 quid, then the shipping is £20+ its enough to make you weep.....
Job lots aren't so bad. Add up the total cost and divide it by the number of lures and they sometimes seem more reasonable.

(And then, when you get clobbered for duty, VAT & admin - you're weeping again! :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Monts » Sat Dec 21 2019 18:04

Mark_Houghton wrote:
I`d forgotten about this thread :red:

I managed to get hold of a nice selection of Manns 1 minus lures at long last, £22 quid all in from ebay, which was a result. Sadly, the 3x 3" Cordell Big O`s I blagged for a fiver a couple of days previously, seem to have been lost in transit :mad:

P1170024.JPG
That's a proper steal for those at that price, nice result.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Dec 21 2019 18:06

Monts wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
I`d forgotten about this thread :red:

I managed to get hold of a nice selection of Manns 1 minus lures at long last, £22 quid all in from ebay, which was a result. Sadly, the 3x 3" Cordell Big O`s I blagged for a fiver a couple of days previously, seem to have been lost in transit :mad:

P1170024.JPG
That's a proper steal for those at that price, nice result.
Just lucky to stumble across them before someone else nabbed them mate. Its not even as though i`ve been looking on ebay much lately :grin:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 14:37

The missing Cordell Big O`s have turned up out of the blue, having been lost in the mail since November....miracles do happen :grin: :grin: :grin:

Image

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Mon Jan 13 2020 14:47

Happy days mate! :thumbs:

I wouldn't swap one of those for a fistful of Big 'S's (not because the Big 'S' is no good, it's just that I'm a shameless 'lure snob' :laughs: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 14:52

John Milford wrote:
Happy days mate! :thumbs:

I wouldn't swap one of those for a fistful of Big 'S's (not because the Big 'S' is no good, it's just that I'm a shameless 'lure snob' :laughs: ).
The originals are (usually) always the best John. Was gutted when these went missing as i`d never come across any again at this price (tenner for all 4 including shipping). Just sent the seller his payment again since he`d refunded me....so he`ll be happy today too :grin: :grin:

I always found the Big S lures fished and caught better when they leaked and took water in, I know others found the same too....

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Mon Jan 13 2020 15:55

Des Taylor won the TG Lure Championship at Thorpe Park with 99lb 11oz on a leaky Big 'S' :thumbs: He was fishing the bow of the Thorpe Bell. The guy on the paddles end came a close second using a Shakespeare 'Krazy Kritter' sinker.

Gord Burton, who fished next to Des, came fourth (behind my twin bother Rob :cool: ). Gordy told Des that he'd have easily beaten the 'ton' if he'd been fishing his swim - to which Des scoffed "What do you mean Gordy - you were casting into my swim most of the time!". :laughs:
Last edited by John Milford on Mon Jan 13 2020 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 15:59

John Milford wrote:
Does Taylor won the TG Lure Championship at Thorpe Park with 99lb 11oz on a leaky Big 'S' :thumbs: He was fishing the bow of the Thorpe Bell. The guy on the paddles end came a close second using a Shakespeare 'Krazy Kritter' sinker.

Gord Burton, who fished next to Des, came fourth (behind my twin bother Rob :cool: ). Gordy told Des that he'd have easily beaten the 'ton' if he'd been fishing his swim - to which Des scoffed "What do you mean Gordy - you were casting into my swim most of the time!". :laughs:
I remember that well, and Des mentions it in his lure fishing vid he brought out a short while later :grin:

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Will Smith » Mon Jan 13 2020 16:26

Lost since November Mark, a miracle is a good way to describe it.

Will.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 16:27

Will Smith wrote:
Lost since November Mark, a miracle is a good way to describe it.

Will.
I was pretty gobsmacked when they turned up mate...

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Will Smith » Mon Jan 13 2020 16:29

I'll bet you were.

Christmas all over again eh Mark, :thumbs:

Will.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 17:02

Who remembers these ones?.....Crankbait Corp baits which (I think) TG Lures were selling back in the day. I think they were called Hi-Catch and Great Catch. Hard foam bodies and lovely photofinishes. Pic from Google, not my lures (wish they were though, some lovely patterns amongst them :grin: )...
xbg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by fergie68 » Mon Jan 13 2020 17:31

I have the perch one had it for years and if I remember correctly I've had one jack on it over deep water on a Highland loch. I remember Brian Rutland had some of these painted by James Trollscot. Not sure if it made them any more effective.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
fergie68
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu Sep 01 2011 05:00

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by fergie68 » Mon Jan 13 2020 17:32

I liked the look of the shallow ones they done but never got round to buying any.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Mon Jan 13 2020 17:33

Good lures those Mark! :thumbs: We sold loads of them at TG Lures. The 'Angler's Pride Genuine Crankbait Brand.' were eventually taken over by Luhr Jensen.

Still have a bunch of them somewhere (what's the title of this thread again? :scratch: :laughs: ).

Caught the fattest pike I've ever seen in my life on one many years ago. It was the length of an eight pounder, but went 16-10! Absurdly porky.
Last edited by John Milford on Mon Jan 13 2020 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Jan 13 2020 17:40

John Milford wrote:
Good lures those Mark! :thumbs: We sold loads of them at TG Lures. The 'Genuine Crankbait Co.' were eventually taken over by Luhr Jensen.

Still have a bunch of them somewhere (what's the title of this thread again? :scratch: :laughs: ).

Caught the fattest pike I've ever seen in my life on one many years ago. It was the length of an eight pounder, but went 16-10! Absurdly porky.
I`ve used them but not owned any :grin: I can imagine loads being sold back then, as they stood out at the time as being more "realistic" looking than most of the lures available in the uk in the 80s. From memory they were very durable baits too considering the bodies were some sort of foam. Good quality hardware on them aswell :thumbs:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Mon Jan 13 2020 18:18

If you cut the lip along the embossing line and rounded the edges, they were really great medium runners too. As you say, bodies molded from a very tough shelled hard foam.

The little 3" ones and the fatter 'Bullcats' were good lures too.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2449
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Will Smith » Mon Jan 13 2020 23:07

I reckon I have a few of these lying in a boxing the garage, some of the 3" Bullcats as well I think.

Will.

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Monts » Tue Jan 14 2020 12:45

Mark_Houghton wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Happy days mate! :thumbs:

I wouldn't swap one of those for a fistful of Big 'S's (not because the Big 'S' is no good, it's just that I'm a shameless 'lure snob' :laughs: ).
The originals are (usually) always the best John. Was gutted when these went missing as i`d never come across any again at this price (tenner for all 4 including shipping). Just sent the seller his payment again since he`d refunded me....so he`ll be happy today too :grin: :grin:

I always found the Big S lures fished and caught better when they leaked and took water in, I know others found the same too....

A Tenner, what with the Manns just prior to Christmas you want to be wearing a mask. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Tue Jan 14 2020 12:53

Monts wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Happy days mate! :thumbs:

I wouldn't swap one of those for a fistful of Big 'S's (not because the Big 'S' is no good, it's just that I'm a shameless 'lure snob' :laughs: ).
The originals are (usually) always the best John. Was gutted when these went missing as i`d never come across any again at this price (tenner for all 4 including shipping). Just sent the seller his payment again since he`d refunded me....so he`ll be happy today too :grin: :grin:

I always found the Big S lures fished and caught better when they leaked and took water in, I know others found the same too....

A Tenner, what with the Manns just prior to Christmas you want to be wearing a mask. :thumbs:
With my usual run of luck (or lack of it) I feel no guilt having the odd moment of good fortune Jason :wink: :grin: :grin: Just good timing mate, first time i`d looked on ebay for ages when i found both lots :thumbs:

User avatar
martin godliman
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by martin godliman » Tue Jan 14 2020 20:13

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Who remembers these ones?.....Crankbait Corp baits which (I think) TG Lures were selling back in the day. I think they were called Hi-Catch and Great Catch. Hard foam bodies and lovely photofinishes. Pic from Google, not my lures (wish they were though, some lovely patterns amongst them :grin: )...

xbg.jpg
They look like something I thought was called a 'Fingerling'....or am I confused....always possible :narfuk:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26771
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 14 2020 20:23

martin godliman wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Who remembers these ones?.....Crankbait Corp baits which (I think) TG Lures were selling back in the day. I think they were called Hi-Catch and Great Catch. Hard foam bodies and lovely photofinishes. Pic from Google, not my lures (wish they were though, some lovely patterns amongst them :grin: )...

xbg.jpg
They look like something I thought was called a 'Fingerling'....or am I confused....always possible :narfuk:
Fingerling Hi-Catch

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 14 2020 20:25

martin godliman wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Who remembers these ones?.....Crankbait Corp baits which (I think) TG Lures were selling back in the day. I think they were called Hi-Catch and Great Catch. Hard foam bodies and lovely photofinishes. Pic from Google, not my lures (wish they were though, some lovely patterns amongst them :grin: )...

xbg.jpg
They look like something I thought was called a 'Fingerling'....or am I confused....always possible :narfuk:
No, you're right Martin :thumbs: Angler's Pride Genuine Crankbait Brand Hi-Catch Fingerling (or words to that effect). Catchy name! :laughs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
martin godliman
Zander
Zander
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: The smoke

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by martin godliman » Wed Jan 15 2020 09:51

I think I had one, they were popular on Cijara as trolling lure....briefly, before it become something else...like a "Deep Thunder" now there is a catchy name.

Names are important for a lure festishist. :wink:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Wed Jan 15 2020 16:55

martin godliman wrote:
I think I had one, they were popular on Cijara as trolling lure....briefly, before it become something else...like a "Deep Thunder" now there is a catchy name.

Names are important for a lure festishist. :wink:
I recall them being nice trolling lures.....ran pretty deep on a short line :thumbs:

John, what was the difference between the Hi-Catch and the Great Catch? I remember both being sold by TG but they appeared to be pretty much the same lure with different names :scratch:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6167
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by John Milford » Wed Jan 15 2020 17:42

There were two sizes Mark 3" & 5".

The different names though, I think might have been to do with the colour ranges. One for the 'naturals' and the other for the fluoros?
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub
Posts: 1647
Joined: Mon Nov 06 2017 15:05

Re: Time to try them again . . . .

Post by Mark_Houghton » Wed Jan 15 2020 18:30

John Milford wrote:
There were two sizes Mark 3" & 5".

The different names though, I think might have been to do with the colour ranges. One for the 'naturals' and the other for the fluoros?
Ta, that makes sense. I remember the TG catalogue description was pretty brief and unclear back then :thumbs:

Post Reply