Old imagery

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Sun May 10 2020 11:12

Old Mate wrote:
John Milford wrote:
What have you got? Anything that captures the time (doesn't have to be about fishing).

But I'll kick off with an old piking picture. I don't who this is - anyone recognise him? (From the cover of 'Fishing' Magazine, August 1968).


Screenshot_20190913-105215.png
Wild guess - a young Fred Buller? Similarities to a later photo in this thread...

Cheers, Andy
I reckon you're right Andy! :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun May 10 2020 11:15

John Milford wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
John Milford wrote:
What have you got? Anything that captures the time (doesn't have to be about fishing).

But I'll kick off with an old piking picture. I don't who this is - anyone recognise him? (From the cover of 'Fishing' Magazine, August 1968).


Screenshot_20190913-105215.png
Wild guess - a young Fred Buller? Similarities to a later photo in this thread...

Cheers, Andy
I reckon you're right Andy! :thumbs:
Doesn't look like him to me. And wouldn't a young Buller have used a gaff?

Old Mate
Stickleback
Stickleback
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 29 2020 08:44
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Old imagery

Post by Old Mate » Sun May 10 2020 11:30

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
John Milford wrote:
What have you got? Anything that captures the time (doesn't have to be about fishing).

But I'll kick off with an old piking picture. I don't who this is - anyone recognise him? (From the cover of 'Fishing' Magazine, August 1968).


Screenshot_20190913-105215.png
Wild guess - a young Fred Buller? Similarities to a later photo in this thread...

Cheers, Andy
I reckon you're right Andy! :thumbs:
Doesn't look like him to me. And wouldn't a young Buller have used a gaff?

Shotgun first Dave, then net...

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Sun May 10 2020 11:40

Old Mate wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
John Milford wrote:
What have you got? Anything that captures the time (doesn't have to be about fishing).

But I'll kick off with an old piking picture. I don't who this is - anyone recognise him? (From the cover of 'Fishing' Magazine, August 1968).


Screenshot_20190913-105215.png
Wild guess - a young Fred Buller? Similarities to a later photo in this thread...

Cheers, Andy
I reckon you're right Andy! :thumbs:
Doesn't look like him to me. And wouldn't a young Buller have used a gaff?

Shotgun first Dave, then net...
Yeah, it would take forever to land all the bits with a gaff . . . . ! :coat:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun May 10 2020 11:40

Old Mate wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
John Milford wrote:
What have you got? Anything that captures the time (doesn't have to be about fishing).

But I'll kick off with an old piking picture. I don't who this is - anyone recognise him? (From the cover of 'Fishing' Magazine, August 1968).


Screenshot_20190913-105215.png
Wild guess - a young Fred Buller? Similarities to a later photo in this thread...

Cheers, Andy
I reckon you're right Andy! :thumbs:
Doesn't look like him to me. And wouldn't a young Buller have used a gaff?

Shotgun first Dave, then net...
Surely a shotgun would make too much of a mess for the taxidermist to cover up? :joker:

keith the piker
Roach
Roach
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 03 2017 15:19

Re: Old imagery

Post by keith the piker » Mon May 11 2020 14:45

i'm pretty sure that first pic (From Fishing magazine) is Brian Welland. Sadly, just to show my level of geekiness, the rod is an Olivers of Knebworth glass one - you can tell from the shape of the butt cap and the whipping configuration above the handle.

The Gibbinson one is, I think, the Lomond fish he had at a recorded weight of 28lb but he discovered that the scales were not working properly on his return home and it would have been over 30. A very special fish ... He talks about it in his latest book "A Glorious Waste Of Time". Great little book.

Also, the one posted by Alex of the pike being gaffed is, I think, Howard Marshall from about 1962 - 4.

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Mon May 11 2020 14:53

keith the piker wrote:
i'm pretty sure that first pic (From Fishing magazine) is Brian Welland. Sadly, just to show my level of geekiness, the rod is an Olivers of Knebworth glass one - you can tell from the shape of the butt cap and the whipping configuration above the handle.

The Gibbinson one is, I think, the Lomond fish he had at a recorded weight of 28lb but he discovered that the scales were not working properly on his return home and it would have been over 30. A very special fish ... He talks about it in his latest book "A Glorious Waste Of Time". Great little book.

Also, the one posted by Alex of the pike being gaffed is, I think, Howard Marshall from about 1962 - 4.
All great details Keith - thanks for sharing them! :thumbs:

(No apology for geekiness required - it is what this particular section of the forum thrives on! :cool: ).
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Will Smith
Chub
Chub
Posts: 2444
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Snods Edge, Northumberland

Re: Old imagery

Post by Will Smith » Mon May 11 2020 21:08

That it does fella :thumbs: .

Will.

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Mon May 18 2020 10:36

Bernard Venables with a 1500 pound shark, caught off Mauritius! :eek:

(Must have been a bit of a squeeze getting that into his old ash hoop landing net . . . ! :clown: ).

Screenshot_20200518-101444.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Iain Gillies
Jack Pike
Jack Pike
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Oct 30 2011 05:00

Re: Old imagery

Post by Iain Gillies » Mon May 18 2020 10:45

I have a friend who is originally from Reunion Island and he tells me stories of how they used labradors as livebait to catch big shark years ago!

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Mon May 18 2020 11:16

Iain Gillies wrote:
I have a friend who is originally from Reunion Island and he tells me stories of how they used labradors as livebait to catch big shark years ago!
:pale:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Sat May 30 2020 22:30

No naming waters? In the 1970s the local tackle dealer would even give you a map and tell you what bus or train to catch!

(Him with the dead 35 pounder! :eek: ).

Screenshot_20200524-224150.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun May 31 2020 06:56

John Milford wrote:
No naming waters? In the 1970s the local tackle dealer would even give you a map and tell you what bus or train to catch!

(Him with the dead 35 pounder! :eek: ).


Screenshot_20200524-224150.png
What lure is that in the pic, John? :grin:

User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Sun May 31 2020 11:26

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
No naming waters? In the 1970s the local tackle dealer would even give you a map and tell you what bus or train to catch!

(Him with the dead 35 pounder! :eek: ).


Screenshot_20200524-224150.png
What lure is that in the pic, John? :grin:
:laughs: You just knew I'd have looked, didn't you Dave!?

As far as I can make out from the low resolution, retouched photo, my best guess is a Pflueger Pal-O-Mine? :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun May 31 2020 11:39

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
No naming waters? In the 1970s the local tackle dealer would even give you a map and tell you what bus or train to catch!

(Him with the dead 35 pounder! :eek: ).


Screenshot_20200524-224150.png
What lure is that in the pic, John? :grin:
:laughs: You just knew I'd have looked, didn't you Dave!?

As far as I can make out from the low resolution, retouched photo, my best guess is a Pflueger Pal-O-Mine? :shrug:
:giggle:

I thought Sniper until I zoomed in and thought the head/lip looked wrong for that. Pal-O-mine looks more like. :thumbs:

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Fri Jun 19 2020 20:01

I've done some reading online of late after watching a film/documentary about bamboo rod makers from the states. This photo goes back a bit.
H L.jpg
Some interesting stuff out there if you like this kind of stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 21 2020 19:23

There's some old fishing imagery here - https://mashable.com/2017/09/24/william ... urope=true :grin:

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Mon Jun 22 2020 08:45


User avatar
John Milford
Zander
Zander
Posts: 6143
Joined: Sun Aug 28 2011 05:00
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Mon Jun 22 2020 10:19

davelumb wrote:
1904 - and they have adapted a couple of old wooden chairs into low boat seats! :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Mon Jun 22 2020 10:22

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
1904 - and they have adapted a couple of old wooden chairs into low boat seats! :pipe:
I wonder if they swivelled too? :smile:

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Mon Jun 22 2020 16:15

If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Sun Jun 28 2020 18:31

I've tried to find this image on Google but drawn a blank so a screen shot from 'Chasing The Taper' that I've been watching again today when I got home from fishing.
IMG_20200628_173915_2__1593365180_39152__1593365180_88406.jpg
The H R Leonard Rod Co factory from 1886.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 28 2020 18:52

Monts wrote:
I've tried to find this image on Google but drawn a blank so a screen shot from 'Chasing The Taper' that I've been watching again today when I got home from fishing.

IMG_20200628_173915_2__1593365180_39152__1593365180_88406.jpg

The H R Leonard Rod Co factory from 1886.
I can't find it wither. But I did find JG with a fly caught musky on Youtube!

And this - https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/th ... have-been/

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Sun Jun 28 2020 19:10

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
I've tried to find this image on Google but drawn a blank so a screen shot from 'Chasing The Taper' that I've been watching again today when I got home from fishing.

IMG_20200628_173915_2__1593365180_39152__1593365180_88406.jpg

The H R Leonard Rod Co factory from 1886.
I can't find it wither. But I did find JG with a fly caught musky on Youtube!

And this - https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/th ... have-been/

Yeah, I've seen that before, it's funny in John's books he admits he was scared of Pike. In " A Fools Paradise" he had a chapter on fly fishing for Pike, he would be f*****g crucified if he posted he methods on here. :laughs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 28 2020 21:31

Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
I've tried to find this image on Google but drawn a blank so a screen shot from 'Chasing The Taper' that I've been watching again today when I got home from fishing.

IMG_20200628_173915_2__1593365180_39152__1593365180_88406.jpg

The H R Leonard Rod Co factory from 1886.
I can't find it wither. But I did find JG with a fly caught musky on Youtube!

And this - https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/th ... have-been/

Yeah, I've seen that before, it's funny in John's books he admits he was scared of Pike. In " A Fools Paradise" he had a chapter on fly fishing for Pike, he would be f*****g crucified if he posted he methods on here. :laughs:
There's a great line in that article: "... the golden age before social media, when fishermen who were onto something good were smart enough to keep quiet about it..." :grin:

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Mon Jun 29 2020 07:21

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
I've tried to find this image on Google but drawn a blank so a screen shot from 'Chasing The Taper' that I've been watching again today when I got home from fishing.

IMG_20200628_173915_2__1593365180_39152__1593365180_88406.jpg

The H R Leonard Rod Co factory from 1886.
I can't find it wither. But I did find JG with a fly caught musky on Youtube!

And this - https://www.grayssportingjournal.com/th ... have-been/

Yeah, I've seen that before, it's funny in John's books he admits he was scared of Pike. In " A Fools Paradise" he had a chapter on fly fishing for Pike, he would be f*****g crucified if he posted he methods on here. :laughs:
There's a great line in that article: "... the golden age before social media, when fishermen who were onto something good were smart enough to keep quiet about it..." :grin:

:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
phil.c
Zander
Zander
Posts: 8744
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: kent... But rather live in Mayo.

Re: Old imagery

Post by phil.c » Mon Jun 29 2020 12:11

Monts wrote:
Not sure this is worth old imagery John? But when I used to do an awful lot of Barbel fishing this rod was sold to me by a GSC member. It's inscribed to Jon "guido" Berry. I believe the nickname of "Guido" came about from an opening night jape in a pub garden and most of the GSC were present and that Jon set off fireworks in the pub garden hence his nickname. Must be twenty years or more back that.

Barbel.JPG


But hey, the rod has served me well. :thumbs:
I have just received the book he wrote on Ferox.. :thumbs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Tue Jun 30 2020 19:35

A couple more.
Leonard_shop.jpg

This is apparently from the 1880s. The Leonard Rod Shop, pretty much a Yiddish preserve.

Thomas Rod Co..jpg
The F.E. Thomas Rod Company from around 1935.

I've ordered this for a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitting-Cane ... 0811700089

I do like a bit of bamboo. :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

User avatar
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor
Posts: 26723
Joined: Sat Aug 27 2011 05:00
Location: On some faraway beach
Contact:

Re: Old imagery

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 30 2020 20:13

Monts wrote:
A couple more.

Leonard_shop.jpg


This is apparently from the 1880s. The Leonard Rod Shop, pretty much a Yiddish preserve.


Thomas Rod Co..jpg

The F.E. Thomas Rod Company from around 1935.

I've ordered this for a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitting-Cane ... 0811700089

I do like a bit of bamboo. :grin:
Wasn't Ed Engle a mate of JG's?

User avatar
Monts
Barbel
Barbel
Posts: 3316
Joined: Tue Nov 17 2015 18:52
Location: Yat Rock

Re: Old imagery

Post by Monts » Tue Jun 30 2020 20:20

davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
A couple more.

Leonard_shop.jpg


This is apparently from the 1880s. The Leonard Rod Shop, pretty much a Yiddish preserve.


Thomas Rod Co..jpg

The F.E. Thomas Rod Company from around 1935.

I've ordered this for a read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitting-Cane ... 0811700089

I do like a bit of bamboo. :grin:
Wasn't Ed Engle a mate of JG's?

He still is and AK Best though AK is 87 now.

More boring stuff below, as well as AK you can watch John and Ed.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/angling-ora ... ry/item/12

:wink:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

Post Reply