Old imagery

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
John Milford
Zander
Zander

Re: Old imagery

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 12 2021 14:00

A 'G.I. Joe' with a big Lake Of The Woods 'Northern' 1951. (Nice Simonsen enamelled steel lure box in the background. :cool: ).

Screenshot_20210112-123514.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 12 2021 14:06

John Milford wrote:
A 'G.I. Joe' with a big Lake Of The Woods 'Northern' 1951. (Nice Simonsen enamelled steel lure box in the background. :cool: ).

Trust you to spot the lure box!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 12 2021 14:09

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I'd love to have been able to take a peek inside it! :pipe:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jan 12 2021 14:25

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I'd love to have been able to take a peek inside it! :pipe:
A pity it was closed up.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Jan 16 2021 19:22

An old 'Intrepid' reel ad from 1964.

Prices ranged from 19s 9d (98p) to £5 9s 3d (£5.45). Their mid-range reel, the 'Regent' cost £2 9s 7d (£2.48). The pre-decimal prices seemed a lot of money at the time! :laughs:

Screenshot_20210116-174638~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb » Sun Jan 17 2021 13:55

I wonder what's in the bucket?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jan 19 2021 14:36

Norfolk legends Bill Giles and Reg Sandys after a cold day's piking on Heigham Sounds in 1966.

IMG_20210119_123134~2.jpg

colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb » Thu Jan 21 2021 16:31

Windmill Pub at 10 mile bank, the bridge survives but not the pub
383.jpg
The shed at Barrie's I helped move it after the marriage break up but it had doubled in size and content.
353.jpg
Canvas roll up rod holder
3129.jpg
I suppose canvas is still available?

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Jan 21 2021 16:49

Map of Ten Mile Bank circa 1913 or earlier. :grin:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Jan 21 2021 17:57

colinb wrote:
383.jpg

The shed at Barrie's I helped move it after the marriage break up but it had doubled in size and content.
353.jpg

3129.jpg
Barrie obviously got custody of the shed Colin! :thumbs:

Gudebrod Sniper on the rod in the roll-up holdall! :cool:

colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb » Thu Jan 21 2021 18:27

I stopped fishing at 10 mile bank, well at least in the village. I couldn't find anywhere to put my bag down for all the dog s***e.

Shame as it was a good spot years ago.

Always knew the bridge as the Windmill bridge named after the pub, Hilgay is miles away.

colinb
Barbel
Barbel

Post by colinb » Thu Jan 21 2021 18:30

John Milford wrote:
colinb wrote:
383.jpg

353.jpg

3129.jpg
Barrie obviously got custody of the shed Colin! :thumbs:

Gudebrod Sniper on the rod in the roll-up holdall! :cool:
Moving the shed the last time was a bit of a trauma, with threats of prosecution etc. it wasn't a happy breakup.
A bit of a lad was our Barrie.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Jan 21 2021 18:35

colinb wrote:
I stopped fishing at 10 mile bank, well at least in the village. I couldn't find anywhere to put my bag down for all the dog s***e.

Shame as it was a good spot years ago.

Always knew the bridge as the Windmill bridge named after the pub, Hilgay is miles away.
Place names change quite a bit over time.

Interesting to look around old maps. Drains gone, new ones dug. :smile:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=1 ... rs=168&b=1

peteren
Perch
Perch

Post by peteren » Fri Jan 22 2021 09:41

John Milford wrote:

Prices ranged from 19s 9d (98p) to £5 9s 3d (£5.45). Their mid-range reel, the 'Regent' cost £2 9s 7d (£2.48). The pre-decimal prices seemed a lot of money at the time! :laughs:

Enjoyed that John - 1964 would be when I proudly got my Regent - had to borrow-forward lots of pocket money! it was an upgrade from the 19s 11d Intrepid Monarch for my 8th birthday - my first fixed - spool...

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jan 22 2021 11:40

peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

Enjoyed that John - 1964 would be when I proudly got my Regent - had to borrow-forward lots of pocket money! it was an upgrade from the 19s 11d Intrepid Monarch for my 8th birthday - my first fixed - spool...
My first K. P. Morritt's reel wasn't even an 'Intrepid' Peter - it was the pinky-red 'Tru Spin'. I upgraded it to an Intrepid 'Boy-O' before moving on the the heady hights of a Mitchell 320. The Tru Spin and Boy-O gradually became unusable, due to the dreaded 'bail groove', but the very basic Mitchell lasted long enough into my early teens for me to catch my first carp and pike with it (picture on previous page). Happy days! :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jan 22 2021 11:46

John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

My first K. P. Morritt's reel wasn't even an 'Intrepid' Peter - it was the pinky-red 'Tru Spin'. I upgraded it to an Intrepid 'Boy-O' before moving on the the heady hights of a Mitchell 320. The Tru Spin and Boy-O gradually became unusable, due to the dreaded 'bail groove', but the very basic Mitchell lasted long enough into my early teens for me to catch my first carp and pike with it (picture on previous page). Happy days! :grin:
The Tru-Spin must have been bad if you 'upgraded' to a Boyo!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jan 22 2021 14:24

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

The Tru Spin was a lump of heavy diecast metal - the kind of monkey metal 'Dinky cars' were made of!

Actually, I've just realised my 'upgrade' was a 'Black Prince' - memory playing tricks! Still had the basic wire bail arm, but had a posher folding handle!

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jan 22 2021 15:15

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

The Tru Spin was a lump of heavy diecast metal - the kind of monkey metal 'Dinky cars' were made of!

Actually, I've just realised my 'upgrade' was a 'Black Prince' - memory playing tricks! Still had the basic wire bail arm, but had a posher folding handle!
Were Boyo's blue and basic and Black princes black and more like a proper reel?

My first reel was a brown and basic Woollies which I 'upgraded' to a Garcia Galion. The wire bales on both grooved. My next step up was a Mitchell 320. Then a 300!!!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jan 22 2021 17:54

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

My first reel was a brown and basic Woollies which I 'upgraded' to a Garcia Galion. The wire bales on both grooved. My next step up was a Mitchell 320. Then a 300!!!
I think the first Boy'O was black Dave, then they changed it to blue. That may have coincided with Morritt's becoming part of Gladding. :shrug:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jan 22 2021 18:01

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I think the first Boy'O was black Dave, then they changed it to blue. That may have coincided with Morritt's becoming part of Gladding. :shrug:
Have I stumped the Oracle? :joker:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jan 22 2021 18:13

Not my pic so a link.

https://flic.kr/p/2kuBM5G

Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb » Fri Jan 22 2021 19:36

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

My first ever reel was a blue Boy O ,paired with a blue (woolies I think) solid glass spinning rod.
The Boy Os were about as basic a reel as a fixed spool can be!

peteren
Perch
Perch

Post by peteren » Sat Jan 23 2021 10:31

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

The wire bales on both grooved.
IIRC, it was claimed Dick Walker first suggested line rollers, in Intrepids?

peteren
Perch
Perch

Post by peteren » Sat Jan 23 2021 10:35

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
peteren wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I also remember a s/h Youngs Ambidex - heavy, blue & silver , but smooth with a worm gear.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/274380976629?c ... 84ceb86204

keith the piker
Roach
Roach

Post by keith the piker » Sat Jan 23 2021 10:56

My understanding is that it was Fred J Taylor who actually thought of the line roller which first appeared in several Intrepid reels (including the Elite and the Regent), but that Dick Walker got credited with inventing it. The truth is probably a combination of those things - my bet will be that Fred suggested it and then Dick put his engineering brain to work on it. The line rollers in the Intrepid reels didn't perform very well, in fact and that, combined with the snatchy clutch mechanism, led to most people backwinding in any case!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Jan 24 2021 11:33

What an absolutely magnificent specimen!

I don't mean the Nile perch (although it is huge) - I'm referring to that hat the guy on the right it wearing! :cool:

Screenshot_20210124-101420~2.png

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Sun Jan 24 2021 12:30

Do you reckon that would be an appropriately named 10 gallon hat John ?

Will

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Jan 24 2021 13:21

Will Smith wrote:
Do you reckon that would be an appropriately named 10 gallon hat John ?

Will
Yup, proper 'ten gallon' titfer Will! :thumbs:

Popularly thought to mean they had a capacity of ten gallons, after Stetson advertised their's depicting a cowboy giving his horse a drink from one (they don't hold ten gallons though!). They can be worn either with the crown rounded, or with the classic cowboy 'Tom Mix' crease.

The closed I've had to one was this (wish I still had it, I think my ex-missus chucked it! :cry: ).

100_5665~2.jpg

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Sun Jan 24 2021 14:38

Ahhh, a picture of a fresh faced Piker, hardly recognisable to the man in the recent post with the Pug, time is a cruel mistress, is she not :laughs: .

Will.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Jan 24 2021 15:22

Will Smith wrote:
Ahhh, a picture of a fresh faced Piker, hardly recognisable to the man in the recent post with the Pug, time is a cruel mistress, is she not :laughs: .

Will.
Some things don't change. He still wears daft hats. :joker: