Worthless Old Tat!

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Mac McPherson
Roach
Roach

Re: Worthless Old Tat!

Post by Mac McPherson » Tue Apr 13 2021 23:49

:pipe: You are correct John...Dalton...don't know where I got Danson from! The one I have is in such a state very difficult if not impossible to establish accurately when it was made. A few lures in 'that' tackle box I'm having fun identifying as their are so many so similar but made by different makers. All great fun. Internet collectors sites are invaluable!
Cheers! :thumbs:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Apr 18 2021 14:11

I always found this 1990s Drennan pike rig packaging quite jolly! :grin:

(Used to find too many empty ones discarded on the bank though . . . . :sad: ).

Screenshot_20210418-122558~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

OLDESOX
Chub
Chub

Post by OLDESOX » Sun Apr 18 2021 14:57

just in case the "angler" did not know what he was catching lol
retired so time to smell the roses.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Mon Apr 19 2021 15:04

IMG_20210419_144836~2.jpg

https://youtu.be/2_2lGkEU4Xs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 19 2021 15:13

John Milford wrote:

That song takes me back further than the boxes do!

phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c » Mon Apr 19 2021 18:40

John Milford wrote:

Really enjoyed that song.. :thumbs:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Mon Apr 19 2021 23:18

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
As promised, a montage of my small collection of old 'hooks to nylon' packets. :grin:

IMG_20210410_141711~2.jpg

A few odd paper hook envelopes with hooks to gut/nylon.

IMG_20210410_142010~2.jpg

They all live in this: :cool:

IMG_20210410_141343~2.jpg
:thumbs:

That pike picture looks like it was also used on the Sundridge Specimen hook packet inserts. I might have some somewhere...
I've been doing some tat 'tecting Dave and the pike picture being the same is not a coincidence.

'Viellard Migeon' is short for Viellard Migeon & Compagnie (the French company better known by their initials 'VMC').

Sundridge were UK distributors for VMC, so the 'Sundridge Specimen' hooks are indeed 'Viellard Migeon' hooks. :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 19 2021 23:38

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
As promised, a montage of my small collection of old 'hooks to nylon' packets. :grin:

IMG_20210410_141711~2.jpg

A few odd paper hook envelopes with hooks to gut/nylon.

IMG_20210410_142010~2.jpg

They all live in this: :cool:

IMG_20210410_141343~2.jpg
:thumbs:

That pike picture looks like it was also used on the Sundridge Specimen hook packet inserts. I might have some somewhere...
I've been doing some tat 'tecting Dave and the pike picture being the same is not a coincidence.

'Viellard Migeon' is short for Viellard Migeon & Compagnie (the French company better known by their initials 'VMC').

Sundridge were UK distributors for VMC, so the 'Sundridge Specimen' hooks are indeed 'Viellard Migeon' hooks. :thumbs:
I thought the Veillard Migeon/VMC/ Sundridge connection was obvious. :grin:

But did the pike pic originate in France? I had assumed it was a Keith Linsell drawing. :shrug:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Apr 20 2021 19:46

I've just spotted these.

They look right up my street . . . ! :clown:

Screenshot_20210420-193752~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Apr 20 2021 20:02

John Milford wrote:
I've just spotted these.

They look right up my street . . . ! :clown:

Screenshot_20210420-193752~2.png
:roll:

:giggle:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Apr 22 2021 19:40

I seem to have acquired quite a few tins of Mucilin over the years in various mixed lots! :roll:

Thos. Aspinall started making this in 1931. The large tins have an endorsement by the Fishing Gazette (which ceased publication in 1966) on the base of the tin, so they're 55+ years old.

Still being made by TFT (Thames Fishing Tackle, of Redditch), although I'm not sure when they took over the manufacture. :shrug:

IMG_20210422_181904~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Apr 22 2021 20:17

John Milford wrote:
I seem to have acquired quite a few tins of Mucilin over the years in various mixed lots! :roll:

Thos. Aspinall started making this in 1931. The large tins have an endorsement by the Fishing Gazette (which ceased publication in 1966) on the base of the tin, so they're 55+ years old.

Still being made by TFT (Thames Fishing Tackle, of Redditch), although I'm not sure when they took over the manufacture. :shrug:

Is there still Mucilin in the tins?

I didn't realise it was originally made in Lancashire. :smile:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Apr 22 2021 22:43

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

They're all pretty much full Dave, complete with their felt application pads - except for the most modern tin (middle, bottom row).That one is probably about two thirds used.

I've noticed the older tins say "Finest preparation for dressing pure silk lines for live baiting or trolling" on their base. I reckon that must place them pre WW2, as nylon swept into general use after that.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to deteriorate with age. Apart from very slight surface discoloration, the contents beneath look perfectly usable.

Despite having cornered the market, I've never actually used Mucilin. Might give it a go on my hook lengths, next time I'm trying to tempt carp with floaters. :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 23 2021 08:13

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

They're all pretty much full Dave, complete with their felt application pads - except for the most modern tin (middle, bottom row).That one is probably about two thirds used.

I've noticed the older tins say "Finest preparation for dressing pure silk lines for live baiting or trolling" on their base. I reckon that must place them pre WW2, as nylon swept into general use after that.

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to deteriorate with age. Apart from very slight surface discoloration, the contents beneath look perfectly usable.

Despite having cornered the market, I've never actually used Mucilin. Might give it a go on my hook lengths, next time I'm trying to tempt carp with floaters. :thumbs:
I've never used Mucilin either.

I googled Mucilin and see it now comes in plastic tubs. :sad:

Tins are so much nicer - and recyclable when collectors don't hoard them!

Pinkie
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Pinkie » Fri Apr 23 2021 08:44

I thought that the main use nowadays was to dress dry flies with to stop them sinking.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 23 2021 10:45

Pinkie wrote:
I thought that the main use nowadays was to dress dry flies with to stop them sinking.
It was (is?) available in a liquid form for fly dressing Pinkie. I think the little bottles the liquid version came (comes) in has a applicator brush.

The thick stuff is probably used on fly leaders and tippets these days.

IMG_20210423_103947~2.jpg

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 23 2021 10:51

davelumb wrote:

. . . recyclable . . .
:hissy: :clown:

Repurposable!
Last edited by John Milford on Fri Apr 23 2021 11:02, edited 2 times in total.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:00

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

. . . recyclable . . .

Repurposable!
:boing:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:03

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

. . . recyclable . . .

Repurposable!
I'm going to put a large and small tin set on eBay, just to see how worthless they really are. :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:04

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

. . . recyclable . . .

Repurposable!
I'm going to put a large and small tin set on eBay, just to see how worthless they really are. :grin:
More worthless than if they were vintage carp grease I expect. :wink:

peteren
Perch
Perch

Post by peteren » Fri Apr 23 2021 11:41

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I've never used Mucilin either.

I googled Mucilin and see it now comes in plastic tubs. :sad:

Tins are so much nicer - and recyclable when collectors don't hoard them!
I still use Mucilin for my trotting mono.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 23 2021 12:45

davelumb wrote:

:thumbs: ££££££££!!

I'm just off to scour my old fishing books to see if there is a way of boiling carp down to extract their grease! :clown: :exit:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 23 2021 13:11

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

I'm just off to scour my old fishing books to see if there is a way of boiling carp down to extract their grease! :clown: :exit:
Izaak might have a recipe. :grin:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Apr 23 2021 18:16

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

"First, taketh ye a lusty carpe of goodly size, neither be it too small nor too great lest it overfloweth thy pipkin. Prepare it as thee would chandler's greaves, save that ye must first twatteth thy carpe mightily with a copper ladle lest it suffer unduly the vexations of its firey fate . . . . & cetera ". :joker:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Apr 23 2021 18:28

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

"First, taketh ye a lusty carpe of goodly size, neither be it too small nor too great lest it overfloweth thy pipkin. Prepare it as thee would chandler's greaves, save that ye must first twatteth thy carpe mightily with a copper ladle lest it suffer unduly the vexations of its firey fate . . . . & cetera ". :joker:
Sounds good. Now, "first catch your carp". :wink:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun Apr 25 2021 18:33

Crispy PAC wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Crispy PAC wrote:
1BC65B6E-09F5-45F6-96DE-4BD57CF5B622.jpegD74DBC9F-A346-4D87-B738-995B41D395D2.jpeg79656D9F-A09E-4CF9-81FA-8DB3E602B004.jpeg
:thumbs: You were considered very 'posh' I'd you had 'hooks to nylon' when I was a nipper Pete! I used to buy eyed Mustads, loose, until I learned the spade end whipping knot, then it was gilt spade end crystals all the way. Packets of 'hooks to nylon' were preserved for very special ossasions!

Old hook packets stir up old memories and I keep any I come across in an old Efgeeco hook wallet. I'll have to dig some out and share them on here!

Here's some 'Woolies' ones in the meantime. :grin:

IMG_20180517_095108.jpg
John if you want to add them to your collection will happily stick them in an envelope to you.
Sorry Pete! I somehow missed your kind offer.

I already have a green book of PDQ hooks to nylon, thanks. Actually, mine (size 14 to 3lb nylon) are still in occasional use!

I've found old hooks to nylon 'keep' remarkably well, provided they've been stored out of the light and kept dry. I wouldn't risk the really old ones whipped onto 'blind' hook shanks, but spade ends are usually fine. :thumbs:

Mine are tied to Tortue 'Tango' nylon, rather than 'Kroïc' (another French brand).

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun May 02 2021 11:52

Picked up a nice old 'Abbey' wire trace today. Note the strength is just given as 'Stout'! :laughs:

(You should have listed that braid you were selling as 'stout' :lumby: - would have saved.you all that tiresome business of explaining the B.S. :clown: ).

IMG_20210502_111948~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 02 2021 11:56

John Milford wrote:
Picked up a nice old 'Abbey' wire trace today. Note the strength is just given as 'Stout'! :laughs:

(You should have listed that braid you were selling as 'stout' :lumby: - would have saved.you all that tiresome business of explaining the B.S. :clown: ).

IMG_20210502_111948~2.jpg
Nice trace.

If I'd lsited the braid as stout to pikers they'd have got it confused with Guinness. :giggle:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun May 02 2021 20:25

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

Not quite as worthless as I was expecting! :grin:

(Somebody in Australia beat off the competition!).

Screenshot_20210502-195935~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 02 2021 20:28

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

Not quite as worthless as I was expecting! :grin:

(Somebody in Australia beat off the competition!).

Screenshot_20210502-195935~2.png
I thought you might have got a tenner. :thumbs: