Re: Worthless Old Tat!

Post by davelumb » Sun May 23 2021 20:43

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sun May 23 2021 21:18

:giggle:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 17:31

An original Gardner Tackle hair needle - from the days when they were just a barbed spike.

IMG_20210527_161700~2.jpg
(I wonder if any mad carpers think they are priceless antiques these days? :pirate: :laughs: ).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 17:48

John Milford wrote:
An original Gardner Tackle hair needle - from the days when they were just a barbed spike.

(I wonder if any mad carpers think they are priceless antiques these days? :pirate: :laughs: ).
One of yours?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 18:36

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?
Yes, car boot today, in a small bundle of floats and bits I cherry-picked for £2.

There's no chance I'd still have one from the last century! :laughs:

I used to lose one practically every time I went fishing, so now I buy them with the biggest, brightest handles possible.

(I've found Ringers are the least lose-able).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 18:50

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?
Yes, car boot today, in a small bundle of floats and bits I cherry-picked for £2.

I used to lose one practically every time I went fishing, so now I buy them with the biggest, brightest handles possible.

I use the Gardner retractable 'crochet hook' needles - which I buy in bulk. :laughs:

As well as their intended use they're good for threading braid through rubber beads and fine rig sleeves etc. :wink:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 19:37

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

I use the Gardner retractable 'crochet hook' needles - which I buy in bulk. :laughs:

As well as their intended use they're good for threading braid through rubber beads and fine rig sleeves etc. :wink:
(Face palm) "Braid through rubber beads . . . . " Why didn't I think of that!? :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 19:40

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

(Face palm) "Braid through rubber beads . . . . " Why didn't I think of that!? :thumbs:
:smile:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 19:53

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

I do store used rubber float stops on a fine needle. (I think that's my Scottish side coming out! :clown: ).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 19:55

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

I do store used rubber float stops on a fine needle. (I think that's my Scottish side coming out! :clown: ).
For reuse?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 20:01

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

For reuse?
Yes! They cost about ninepence each in the old money! :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 20:16

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

For reuse?
Yes! They cost about ninepence each in the old money! :laughs:
And people call me tight!!!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 21:05

I carefully remove split shot and put them back into the dispenser for re-use too. :grin:

Which reminds me of something I once heard of that made me chuckle.

Remember when all the shot you possessed were in one tiny tin like these? A kid was asked by an older angler if he could spare a shot, as he'd left his at home.

The kid reluctantly proffered his precious little stot tin, whereupon the older angler tipped half of them into his palm, carefully selected the one he wanted - and casually tossed the rest over his shoulder! :afraid: :laughs:

IMG_20200721_112913~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu May 27 2021 21:25

John Milford wrote:
I carefully remove split shot and put them back into the dispenser for re-use too. :grin:

Which reminds me of something I once heard of that made me chuckle.

Remember when all the shot you possessed were in one tiny tin like these? A kid was asked by an older angler if he could spare a shot, as he'd left his at home.

The kid reluctantly proffered his precious little stot tin, whereupon the older angler tipped half of them into his palm, carefully selected the one he wanted - and casually tossed the rest over his shoulder! :afraid: :laughs:

IMG_20200721_112913~2.jpg
I reuse shot too, and I've been using the same two grains of plastic sweetcorn for a decade or more. :thumbs:

If true about he tin of shot that's a sad tale. :cry:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 01 2021 19:44

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

How long before an original, unopened, tub of ET Line Grease gets added to the collection?
I've already got one (and the foam E.T. auto greasers) - but couldn't find them. You've set me off now . . . . ! :laughs:
:laughs:
I've found the E.T. auto greasers! :grin:

No sign of the tub of E.T. line grease. I have a vague recollection of a hot weather tackle box disaster. I think it might have met a sticky end . . . . .

IMG_20210601_192402~2.jpg

If these were something to do with carp fishing, they'd probably be worth bundles. (Unfortunately pikers don't suffer from the same lunacy).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 01 2021 19:54

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:

How long before an original, unopened, tub of ET Line Grease gets added to the collection?
I've already got one (and the foam E.T. auto greasers) - but couldn't find them. You've set me off now . . . . ! :laughs:
:laughs:
I've found the E.T. auto greasers! :grin:

No sign of the tub of E.T. line grease. I have a vague recollection of a hot weather tackle box disaster. I think it might have met a sticky end . . . . .

IMG_20210601_192402~2.jpg

If these were something to do with carp fishing, they'd probably be worth bundles. (Unfortunately pikers don't suffer from the same lunacy).
:thumbs:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 02 2021 15:02

Saw this interesting Efgeeco something-or-other.

But what the hell is it? :scratch: :shrug:

Screenshot_20210602-145439_eBay~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Wed Jun 02 2021 15:04

John Milford wrote:

I think it's a 'bait waiter' for holding multiple bait tubs.

OLDESOX
Chub
Chub

Post by OLDESOX » Wed Jun 02 2021 15:09

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I think it's a 'bait waiter' for holding multiple bait tubs.
whot he said got one in my kit takes 4 bait boxes
retired so time to smell the roses.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 02 2021 16:55

Thanks chaps! :thumbs:

Yes, I see it now.

The pictures didn't really give an impression of its size, but the top picture must show the part threaded to screw onto a bank stick and the bottom one the clamp with It's wing nut to hold the tubs in place.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 08 2021 12:18

More old tat on it's way! :grin:

I'm not sure how big this pike is, but it'll be going up in my garage, to accompany the rest of the tat displayed on the walls or up in the rafters.

Screenshot_20210607-202019~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 08 2021 12:37

John Milford wrote:

I'm not sure how big this pike is, but it'll be going up in my garage, to accompany the rest of the tat displayed on the walls or up in the rafters.

Could make a nice nestbox for a robin. :grin:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 08 2021 13:59

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

0kmn76efzq421~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 08 2021 14:49

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

0kmn76efzq421~2.jpg
:wink:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu Jun 10 2021 15:01

The fabulous No.4893 Allcocks 'Lighthouse lead'! :cool:

I'd previously only seen this as a catalogue illustration, but I spotted one in a bunch of old sea leads I saw at a reasonable price, so I nabbed them! :grin:

(The reality doesn't quite live up to the 1930s illustration, but it's a nice, quirky vintage tackle item).

IMG_20210610_143659~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Jun 10 2021 15:06

Another fascinating piece of tat. :thumbs:

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Thu Jun 10 2021 20:24

I like that John :thumbs: , well spotted, nice one for the collection.

Will.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri Jun 11 2021 15:24

Something I found rattling around among a few bits in an old Riva seat box I picked up for a fiver yesterday.

The 1980s Middy boilie punch wasn't quite as interesting as finding a very youthful picture of my old mate John Harris on the blurb that came with it! :grin:

(John repped for TG Lures for a while. While better known as a very accomplished carper, he was no slouch with a lure rod either and especially liked using spinnerbaits. :thumbs: ).

IMG_20210610_173832~2.jpg

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jun 11 2021 15:30

John Milford wrote:
Something I found rattling around among a few bits in an old Riva seat box I picked up for a fiver yesterday.

The 1980s Middy boilie punch wasn't quite as interesting as finding a very youthful picture of my old mate John Harris on the blurb that came with it! :grin:

(John repped for TG Lures for a while. While better known as a very accomplished carper, he was no slouch with a lure rod either and especially liked using spinnerbaits. :thumbs: ).

IMG_20210610_173832~2.jpg

stubbojo
Perch
Perch

Post by stubbojo » Fri Jun 11 2021 20:11

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

One of yours?

wasted many an hour trying to do that , and threading braid down my drifter float tube , by the time ive done that the pike have gone of the feed..