Ugly reels

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Mike F
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Re: Ugly reels

Post by Mike F » Wed May 26 2021 09:39

:grin: Loving this thread! There's some hummers here! :grin:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed May 26 2021 19:59

In all the years I've been lure fishing, I have never once felt the inclination to own one of these horrible lumpy Zebco things!

Screenshot_20210526-191514~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 12:29

It must be difficult to design an ugly drum reel? :shrug:

However, Abu somehow managed it with their 'Delta' fly reel series (1966 - 79)!

Screenshot_20210527-002602_Chrome.jpg

I suppose they showed enough restraint not to actually add googly eyes, arms and legs! :laughs:

Screenshot_20210527-122233~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mike F
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mike F » Thu May 27 2021 14:10

John Milford wrote:

I suppose they showed enough restraint not to actually add googly eyes, arms and legs! :laughs:

Is that for (pardon the pun) real?!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 14:53

rapsy wrote:
John Milford wrote:

Is that for (pardon the pun) real?!
Yes - and in production for 13 years! I think the theory behind the triangular frame for the round drum was that it was supposed to help prevent the fly line snagging on the reel.

Totally the opposite to my experience of round Vs triangular net frames for snagging on everything in sight! :shrug:

They're quite sought after, perhaps because they're so distinctive. If I saw one cheap enough I'd probably buy it, purely for the novelty value.

Mike F
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mike F » Thu May 27 2021 18:47

Ive never seen anything like it John.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Thu May 27 2021 21:44

The 1960s 'Le Omnia' reel was a pug-ugly little thing!

Vintage-Le-Omnia-Super-Fishing-Reel~2.jpg

It's centerpin stablemate, the 'Little Kraka', didn't quite live up to it's name either!

Vintage-Metal-Fishing-Reel-The-Little-Kraka-Harrington~3.jpg

Both reels were made by T. J. Harrington - who also made the 'Gat' air pistol (which by coincidence, is also one of the ugliest air pistols. :laughs: ).

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 28 2021 07:40

John Milford wrote:
The 1960s 'Le Omnia' reel was a pug-ugly little thing!

Vintage-Le-Omnia-Super-Fishing-Reel~2.jpg

It's centerpin stablemate, the 'Little Kraka', didn't quite live up to it's name either!

Vintage-Metal-Fishing-Reel-The-Little-Kraka-Harrington~3.jpg

Both reels were made by T. J. Harrington - who also made the 'Gat' air pistol (which by coincidence, is also one of the ugliest air pistols. :laughs: ).
With design like that it's no wonder English manufacturing declined!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri May 28 2021 08:36

I dunno Dave. The Swedes have a reputation for manufacturing quality stuff, yet their 'flagship' reel of its time was the 'Suveran'!

No doubt beautifully engineered, but in this case the beauty was all on the inside! :laughs:

Screenshot_20210527-222843~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 28 2021 09:39

John Milford wrote:
I dunno Dave. The Swedes have a reputation for manufacturing quality stuff, yet their 'flagship' reel of its time was the 'Suveran'!

No doubt beautifully engineered, but in this case the beauty was all on the inside! :laughs:

Screenshot_20210527-222843~2.png
I think the Suveran is a good looking reel. :shrug:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Fri May 28 2021 11:23

The shape is OK-ish, but the awkward mix of modern and retro styling manages to miss both targets for me, as if it can't quite make up its mind which it is? :shrug:

All that nasty ribbed plastic also spoils it to my eye - especially when you consider its price tag.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 28 2021 11:36

peteren
Perch
Perch

Post by peteren » Fri May 28 2021 19:37

davelumb wrote:
Impressive review - a reel enthusiast!

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri May 28 2021 19:41

peteren wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Impressive review - a reel enthusiast!
If you're into Abus it's a great site to waste hours and hours on!

JoeNickel
Perch
Perch

Post by JoeNickel » Fri May 28 2021 22:23

John Milford wrote:
A German entry - the 1960s Sportex 60!

The rear drag was ahead of its time, but otherwise I think it's designer was on LSD! 😵

Screenshot_20210525-190028~2.png
That's amazing!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 01 2021 10:50

The Fuji 45 side cast. Not so much ugly as, well, very, Japanese! (Knowing them, the centre boss is probably a stylised Chrysanthemum, or some such? :shrug: ).

I'm not sure many western anglers would want to use this big old frilly lump of plastic - nearly 6" in diameter.

Some of their other reels were more attractive, if slightly twee. They also did a metal fly reel with heart shaped perforations in the spool! :hug: :giggle:

Screenshot_20210601-102801~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 01 2021 11:03

John Milford wrote:
The Fuji 45 side cast. Not so much ugly as, well, very, Japanese! (Knowing them, the centre boss is probably a stylised Chrysanthemum, or some such? :shrug: ).

I'm not sure many western anglers would want to use this big old frilly lump of plastic - nearly 6" in diameter.

Some of their other reels were more attractive, if slightly twee. They also did a metal fly reel with heart shaped perforations in the spool! :hug: :giggle:

That's not ugly. Interesting rel too.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 01 2021 11:10

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

:thumbs:

I agree Dave not ugly - just rather strange to the western eye - and, as I said, probably has some deeper symbolism lost on us.

(I just read that a white chrysanthemum is a symbol of loyalty and devoted love and also represents happiness, longevity and joy in Japanese culture).

I want one now! :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 01 2021 11:29

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

:thumbs:

I agree Dave not ugly - just rather strange to the western eye - and, as I said, probably has some deeper symbolism lost on us.

(I just read that a white chrysanthemum is a symbol of loyalty and devoted love and also represents happiness, longevity and joy in Japanese culture).

I want one now! :laughs:
:giggle:

That Youtube channel is worth checking out for other vintage reels. :wink:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 01 2021 12:04

I don't care what a strange-looking beast this creation is - it is truly fantastic! :cool:

I'm guessing either a prototype or artisan reel from the very earliest days of thread line spinning reels. It might even have utilised an old egg whisk for its mechanics? :shrug:

While it has the look of a fixed spool reel, its spool rotates and the 'bail arm' is fixed. A similar principle to the Allcock-Stanley reel, although the non-rotating pick-up on those oscillated back and forth to facilitate line lay on its tiny revolving spool.

It strikes me this one would have been awkward to fix to a rod as one end of the foot is blocked by the frame and pick-up!

Marvelous! :grin:

Screenshot_20210526-115912~2.png

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Jun 01 2021 12:19

John Milford wrote:
I don't care what a strange-looking beast this creation is - it is truly fantastic! :cool:

I'm guessing either a prototype or artisan reel from the very earliest days of thread line spinning reels. It might even have utilised an old egg whisk for its mechanics? :shrug:

While it has the look of a fixed spool reel, its spool rotates and the 'bail arm' is fixed. A similar principle to the Allcock-Stanley reel, although the non-rotating pick-up on those oscillated back and forth to facilitate line lay on its tiny revolving spool.

It strikes me this one would have been awkward to fix to a rod as one end of the foot is blocked by the frame and pick-up!

:dizzy:

Mike F
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Mike F » Wed Jun 02 2021 08:48

John Milford wrote:

Looks like the sort of reel that the knights of the round table used on their days off..........truly medieval! :giggle:

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Wed Jun 02 2021 23:16

Eeeeeew! - Nasty! :sick:

Screenshot_20210602-230924~2.png

ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales » Thu Jun 03 2021 01:05

Daiwa "AutoCast" ? I still have one of these in great nick from circa 1985 or so :) (pic from tinternet)

Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith » Thu Jun 03 2021 09:53

John Milford wrote:
Eeeeeew! - Nasty! :sick:

Screenshot_20210602-230924~2.png
That looks like one of them high powered torches that were around a few years ago John.

Will.

JoeNickel
Perch
Perch

Post by JoeNickel » Fri Jun 04 2021 23:28

ChrisWales wrote:
Daiwa "AutoCast" ? I still have one of these in great nick from circa 1985 or so :) (pic from tinternet)

I've got two of those! Still work fine.

And I lusted after the yellow Abu baitcaster when I was a kid. Think there may have been a coloured range - vaguely remember other colours?

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Sat Jun 05 2021 00:36

JoeNickel wrote:
ChrisWales wrote:

I've got two of those! Still work fine.

And I lusted after the yellow Abu baitcaster when I was a kid. Think there may have been a coloured range - vaguely remember other colours?
You're right Joe - also available in black. There was also a very similar Abu (different number) that had a red option, as well as black.

The brighter coloured versions are rarer and more popular with collectors than the standard black models.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Jun 15 2021 00:26

Otherwise nice enough looking reels, but with ugly great 'counter-balanced' handles! (Something I'm pleased no longer seems 'fashionable').

I quite like double handles personally, although I understand why some might find them cumbersome.

What I can't see the earthly point of though, is having a handle that is equally cumbersome, but without the benefit of an extra handle! :shrug:

Screenshot_20210614-211631~2.png
Screenshot_20210615-001846.png

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Thu Jul 15 2021 16:40

If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Jul 15 2021 16:46

Monts wrote:
If I had the money to waste I'd buy that.

And do a KLF on it. :laughs: