Not vintage, but vintage styles.....

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Re: Not vintage, but vintage styles.....

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Apr 21 2019 22:38

John Milford wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
Some Baby Pikies....original at the top :smile:

Superb looking little baits those Mark :thumbs: The cup hangers are a really nice touch. :cool:

Does that kind of attention to detail help anyone catch more fish? No.

Does owning and using baits like that enhance anyone's fishing enjoyment? Yes.

That's a good enough reason in itself and there will always be people who appreciate such things! :pipe:
Hole reinforcement eyelets from Wilkinsons :laughs: you can buy exactly the same sold for luremaking for a much higher price :wink:

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Mon Apr 22 2019 05:35

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Anyway, enough moaning.....I knocked a few more Baby Pikies up today, along with a couple more Flaptails....was busy on the lathe doing some orders (including yours Jason) so would have been rude not to do a few for me too :grin:

:thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Apr 22 2019 15:14

I suppose these could be classed as vintage style topwaters :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 22 2019 16:17

Mark_Houghton wrote:

A chaffinch imitation. :thumbs: was once told how good chaffinches are as a wobbled bait for pike - so long as you pin the wings right. Better than robins, too. :laughs:

I Like the moggy hens. :grin:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Apr 22 2019 16:34

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

A chaffinch imitation. :thumbs: was once told how good chaffinches are as a wobbled bait for pike - so long as you pin the wings right. Better than robins, too. :laughs:

Wobbled Chaffinch....class :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 22 2019 16:35

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

I doubt I'll ever forget the encounter. Some inbred rural Cumbrian!

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Apr 22 2019 16:38

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

I once came across a Grizzly Adams lookalike who told me I should be using skinned Rabbit, not fish deadbaits (apparently thats what gamekeepers use to catch pike in traps) :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Mon Apr 22 2019 16:45

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

I once came across a Grizzly Adams lookalike who told me I should be using skinned Rabbit, not fish deadbaits (apparently thats what gamekeepers use to catch pike in traps) :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
You must attract the same sort of people as I do.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Mon Apr 22 2019 17:00

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

You must attract the same sort of people as I do.
Pretty much :laughs:

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Tue Apr 23 2019 13:56

If Carlsberg made lures, they still wouldn't be better than Mark Houghton's . . . . :cheers:

"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Fri Apr 26 2019 20:38

A few I knocked up this afternoon....variations on the pikie theme, these are based on Creek Chub River Scamps....thicker bodied, thicker tail end, and overall a more stubby shape than the baby pikies I posted the other day. These cast like bullets on a lighter setup :smile:

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Sat Apr 27 2019 11:26

Another few lookers Mark, I've just been down the PO to collect the ones you sent me yesterday, they are queuing out the door I've not got the patience to wait in line. So the kid next door is going tomorrow for me at the cost of a fiver, hard-nosed little sod. :laughs:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 12:29

Monts wrote:
Another few lookers Mark, I've just been down the PO to collect the ones you sent me yesterday, they are queuing out the door I've not got the patience to wait in line. So the kid next door is going tomorrow for me at the cost of a fiver, hard-nosed little sod. :laughs:
The mercenary little bugger :laughs:

Couple more i`ve just finished.....

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 14:47

Mark_Houghton wrote:
A few I knocked up this afternoon....variations on the pikie theme, these are based on Creek Chub River Scamps....thicker bodied, thicker tail end, and overall a more stubby shape than the baby pikies I posted the other day. These cast like bullets on a lighter setup :smile:

How big/small are those, Mark?

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 15:09

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

3" bodies Dave....much thicker bodied than the 3-1/4" baby pikies I posted the other day though. I`ll try and snap a side by side pic in a bit :thumbs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 15:18

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

3" bodies Dave....much thicker bodied than the 3-1/4" baby pikies I posted the other day though. I`ll try and snap a side by side pic in a bit :thumbs:
Not too small then. Was wondering if they were tiny.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 15:21

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

I could probably go down to 2" or less with them, thats the size of the frog`s legs I turn, and theyre basically the same shape just with a rounded nose :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 15:52

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

I could probably go down to 2" or less with them, thats the size of the frog`s legs I turn, and theyre basically the same shape just with a rounded nose :grin:
One component, two uses. :thumbs:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 17:28

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

These are the 3 recent ones together, similar lengths but greatly varying body proportions :smile:
P1160684.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 17:43

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

These are the 3 recent ones together, similar lengths but greatly varying body proportions :smile:

P1160684.JPG
I'm glad I've given up lure buying or the inability to choose would mean me having to take one (or more) of each! :laughs:

That cisco (?) pattern is nice. :cool:

I was looking at some old multipliers in a shop today. I'm glad the price tickets were obscured. Unfortunately they have a website.

http://www.fawcettsonline.com/products/ ... C6199.html

:exit:

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 17:48

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

P1160684.JPG
I'm glad I've given up lure buying or the inability to choose would mean me having to take one (or more) of each! :laughs:

I was looking at some old multipliers in a shop today. I'm glad the price tickets were obscured. Unfortunately they have a website.

It`s an old Creek Chub pattern, silver shiner I think, Dave. I only buy what I can`t make most of the time. Apart from the recent Heddons I got off ebay i`ve not really bought any lures for ages.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 17:59

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

P1160684.JPG

It`s an old Creek Chub pattern, silver shiner I think, Dave. I only buy what I can`t make most of the time. Apart from the recent Heddons I got off ebay i`ve not really bought any lures for ages.
Ta for the info.

If I started making wooden lures Godlimans would look le factory mades!

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sat Apr 27 2019 18:06

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

P1160684.JPG

Ta for the info.

Well, my rod rebuilds look rough as a badgers a**e up close....everyone has skills in different things mate :grin:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Apr 27 2019 18:08

Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

P1160684.JPG

Ta for the info.

Well, my rod rebuilds look rough as a badgers a**e up close....everyone has skills in different things mate :grin:

martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman » Sun Apr 28 2019 12:26

davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

P1160684.JPG

Ta for the info.

The artisan look and hand painted with a brush of course none of yer mass produced spray job look. :wink: :exit:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Sun Apr 28 2019 13:01

Pleased with these two Mark, looking forward to using them.

_20190428_125518.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Houghton
Chub
Chub

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun Apr 28 2019 13:08

Monts wrote:

_20190428_125518.JPG

Let me know how you get on with them mate :thumbs:

Monts
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Monts » Sun Apr 28 2019 14:28

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Monts wrote:

_20190428_125518.JPG

Let me know how you get on with them mate :thumbs:
Will do when the rivers open up again, but they will have to shape up to shift the snipers to one side. They are great fun to fish with. :grin:

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Sun Apr 28 2019 16:03

Monts wrote:

_20190428_125518.JPG

Nice colour choices for your pair there Jason :cool: A bright one and dark one, but each with a touch of contrast. :thumbs:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

John Milford
Barbel
Barbel

Post by John Milford » Sun Apr 28 2019 16:13

Mark_Houghton wrote:
Monts wrote:
The mercenary little bugger :laughs:

Couple more i`ve just finished.....

'Rainbow Fire'!! :cool: 🤓