Abu Diplomat 450 - centrepin (mooching) reel

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Abu Diplomat 450 - centrepin (mooching) reel

Post by davelumb » Thu Apr 26 2018 20:31

I bought this second hand many moons ago with the mad idea of using it for lead core trolling. That idea lasted part of one session before I gave it up as a bad job... I have thought of trying with braid, but it holds miles of line!

Simple graphite reel with a centre drag and a clicker switch. Can be converted for left or right hand wind. The gold coat of arms appears to be missing from the back plate. Might be hiding somewhere.

fergie68
Major
Major

Re: Abu Diplomat 450 - centrepin (mooching) reel

Post by fergie68 » Thu Apr 26 2018 20:39

Nice. Very popular with the salmon troller up here. I have a Daiwa one loaded with lead core that I never use.
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Thu Apr 26 2018 23:55

I sold a Grice & Young 'Sea Jecta Mk 111 de luxe', the stainless steel one, to a Canadian guy on eBay a few years back. Apparently they are a cult mooching reel among the steelhead anglers over there. This was the third one he'd bought and he was chuffed to get it. Toyed with the idea of getting the lighter Daiwa model, but the line capacity put me off. Braid digs in too much on 'pins if it is low diameter - even with 100bs dyneema.

Nice to own 'niche' gear, but in practical terms it seldom gets used 'in anger'.
"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat May 12 2018 22:14

Out of interest Dave, why didn't it work for you? Lots of them Canadian salmon trollers out on the Pacific seem to use them. I imagine the direct drive makes cranking in the fish easier for them while the boat is still running at trolling speeds with all the other lines still out. However, I've noticed all the Baltic salmon trollers use multipliers. Just wondered what you didn't like about using one? Had considered trying one myself.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat May 12 2018 22:32

Didn't really give it a fair trial TBH. It wasn't the reel so much as the leadcore. I gave that up as a bad job and stuck with the multis. But as mentioned above, a larger arbour would be preferable these days with braid.

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sat May 12 2018 23:04

Thanks Dave. I'd wondered if they be a cheaper and more maintenance free option considering servicing 10+ extra reels each season doesn't appeal to me. As I see it now though, they don't have any way of measuring line out - or do they? I use each level wind pass on 7000s as a 5 metre gauge.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun May 13 2018 06:49

Other than using marked line I can see an e\sy way of measuring line out.

Mark_Houghton
Captain
Captain

Post by Mark_Houghton » Sun May 13 2018 11:11

andrew_nagel wrote:
Thanks Dave. I'd wondered if they be a cheaper and more maintenance free option considering servicing 10+ extra reels each season doesn't appeal to me. As I see it now though, they don't have any way of measuring line out - or do they? I use each level wind pass on 7000s as a 5 metre gauge.
You could use a clip on line counter, or mark the rod 3ft from the reel and pull a yard off by hand each time, or put a mark on the spool and count rotations as it passes the reel seat to measure line out? always a way, although some are more tedious than others mate....

andrew_nagel
Colonel
Colonel

Post by andrew_nagel » Sun May 13 2018 17:58

Thanks Mark... maybe I should have added other than tedious way. I use the clip on type with the bait boat to put baits out consistently on the same spots, so I have some of them (somewhere). :thumbs:

fergie68
Major
Major

Post by fergie68 » Sun May 13 2018 18:13

The salmon anglers I've seen using them use the pull off method.
(oooohh Matron)
ALL FEROX ARE BROWN TROUT BUT NOT ALL BROWN TROUT ARE FEROX "

FEROX 85 GROUP