Some Cane and Floats

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Monts
Major
Major

Some Cane and Floats

Post by Monts » Tue May 15 2018 17:35

I do enjoy using cane rods for my non-lure angling, but this little lot has not been used in anger for about five years. But I've only lure fished in that time but feel they do need an airing once the rivers open again. The problem is I find it incredibly hard to sit still now, as when lure fishing I'm constantly on the move.

MKIV.JPG
Scotties and Barder.JPG
Floats.JPG
The top rod is a mint MKIV Avon that had never had a reel put on it until I bought from a mate, lovely rod.

Then an impregnated Sharps Scotties ten foot Carp rod, that bears the inscription "Guido Berry Golden Scale Club", it has a set in it, but a nice rod to use. And also a Barder "Barbus Maximus" that set me back a few quid around eight years ago, but will hold it's value.

And finally some nice floats.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Houghton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Some Cane and Floats

Post by Mark_Houghton » Tue May 15 2018 18:02

Lovely those Jason :thumbs:

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Tue May 15 2018 18:24

Mark_Houghton wrote:
I'll agree Mark they do look nice, but I got bored of Barbel fishing after a number of years. Plus the total infestation of Crayfish made bait fishing a royal ball ache for Pike and Perch also. I used to go to the tackle auctions at Chiswick but found it very elitist and high brow. I was looking for things to buy and use, whereas many were avid collectors with deep pockets. And I felt well out of my depth, as everyone seemed to know each other. But it was interesting viewing the old tackle, even though I was not part of the "In Crowd".

IMG_0910.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark_Houghton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mark_Houghton » Tue May 15 2018 18:41

Monts wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:
I'll agree Mark they do look nice, but I got bored of Barbel fishing after a number of years. Plus the total infestation of Crayfish made bait fishing a royal ball ache for Pike and Perch also. I used to go to the tackle auctions at Chiswick but found it very elitist and high brow. I was looking for things to buy and use, whereas many were avid collectors with deep pockets. And I felt well out of my depth, as everyone seemed to know each other. But it was interesting viewing the old tackle, even though I was not part of the "In Crowd".

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG
Couldnt be bothered with people like that mate. I`m firmly in the "buy it to use it" camp :cheers:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Tue May 15 2018 19:07

Floats! My other collecting field :grin: (somewhat cheaper than antique lures . . . . but not always!).

My collection has grown somewhat since I last took any photos - I'll have to take some more snaps.

Used to love 'Camafloats' when I first started fishing:

"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sat Jun 23 2018 14:09

Some of my Allcock's 'Best Bound' floats. The 'snake head' in the centre is a particular favourite and in really nice condition. The stumpy quill on the left is pelican (an extremely rare float as the import of pelican quills ended in 1935, after the US Migratory Bird Treaty Act).

Anyone interested in floats would do well to track down a copy of Jeff Della Mura's superb book "Hooked on Floats 1860 - 1960' :wink:

I buy fishing rods.

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Sat Jun 23 2018 14:36

Monts wrote:
Mark_Houghton wrote:

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG
Was Lovejoy there :thumbs:
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.

Monts
Major
Major

Post by Monts » Sat Jun 23 2018 17:16

John,

Do you have a little man cave with stuff on display? Or are they shut in draws or boxes? I'm pretty lucky I guess in that the box room is my man cave, so it's adorned with stuff and stuff is good.

Del,

No Lovejoy, but plenty of collectors who now sell online dressed in tweed and silk. Each to there own but not my game mate to be honest.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sun Jun 24 2018 01:26

Monts wrote:
John,

Do you have a little man cave with stuff on display? Or are they shut in draws or boxes? I'm pretty lucky I guess in that the box room is my man cave, so it's adorned with stuff and stuff is good.
All my good stuff is stored out of sight, most of the time, except for a few nice antique prints which I spent quite a bit on getting mounted and re-framed so they all match. I also allow myself one small shelf in a tall, narrow bookcase for my few antique reels and random small treasures.

My garage is my 'man cave' and I've got a few big items high on the walls. The pike cast from page 216 of Neville's 'Mammoth Pike'. Three fully-rigged vintage rods. One is a split cane pike rod, displayed with two very old galvanized 'bait kettles', a cane-handled gaff and some ancient 'house of horrors' unhooking implements!

Lumby was convinced I live in a kind of fishing museum, but my decor is very contemporary and the few fishing bits not stored safely out of sight are quite low key.

My house and garage are however surrounded by a shark-infested moat and motion-sensitive, self-aiming machine gun nests :shoot: :pipe:

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 24 2018 07:46

John Milford wrote:

All my good stuff is stored out of sight, most of the time, except for a few nice antique prints which I spent quite a bit on getting mounted and re-framed so they all match. I also allow myself one small shelf in a tall, narrow bookcase for my few antique reels and random small treasures.

My garage is my 'man cave' and I've got a few big items high on the walls. The pike cast from page 216 of Neville's 'Mammoth Pike'. Three fully-rigged vintage rods. One is a split cane pike rod, displayed with two very old galvanized 'bait kettles', a cane-handled gaff and some ancient 'house of horrors' unhooking implements!

Lumby was convinced I live in a kind of fishing museum, but my decor is very contemporary and the few fishing bits not stored safely out of sight are quite low key.

My house and garage are however surrounded by a shark-infested moat and motion-sensitive, self-aiming machine gun nests :shoot: :pipe:
I've been in houses where antique tackle and memorabilia is on display and I think it looks crap. So it's nice to know your cupboards are as full of old tat as everyone else's, John. :thumbs:

Even if it is expensive old tat.

:boing:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sun Jun 24 2018 10:23

davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I've been in houses where antique tackle and memorabilia is on display and I think it looks crap. So it's nice to know your cupboards are as full of old tat as everyone else's, John. :thumbs:

I'd reached the point in my garage Dave, where the tat was taking over. I'll often buy mixed lots, for just one or two items lurking in them. The result of this is a slow accumulation of proper old tat. I was on the brink of actually binning some of it. The only thing stopping me was that i am a bit sentimental about past anglers old gear.

So, I organised it into lots and put it on eBay (in fact I'm still in the course of doing it). So far, the proceeds have paid for a new sofa for my conservatory - with the bonus that my missus now doesn't think I'm quite as mad as she used to whenever I buy more old tat! :laughs:

Ayup lad, where there's muck there's brass :pipe:

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Jun 24 2018 11:44

John Milford wrote:
davelumb wrote:
John Milford wrote:

I'd reached the point in my garage Dave, where the tat was taking over. I'll often buy mixed lots, for just one or two items lurking in them. The result of this is a slow accumulation of proper old tat. I was on the brink of actually binning some of it. The only thing stopping me was that i am a bit sentimental about past anglers old gear.

So, I organised it into lots and put it on eBay (in fact I'm still in the course of doing it). So far, the proceeds have paid for a new sofa for my conservatory - with the bonus that my missus now doesn't think I'm quite as mad as she used to whenever I buy more old tat! :laughs:

Ayup lad, where there's muck there's brass :pipe:
:pirate:

davyr
Private
Private

Post by davyr » Sun Jun 24 2018 13:21

I wonder if Sharpes of Aberdeen might think twice (if they were still around now) about the wording of their 1963 ad in the old Fishing magazine: "Feel the exciting liveliness that only impregnation can give..." :laughs:

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 06 2018 12:56

davyr wrote:
I wonder if Sharpes of Aberdeen might think twice (if they were still around now) about the wording of their 1963 ad in the old Fishing magazine: "Feel the exciting liveliness that only impregnation can give..." :laughs:

I buy fishing rods.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 06 2018 13:34

A few old 'Fishing Gazette' bungs, a design that's hardly changed in over 100 years. These, and Jardine 'spiral' leads, fell out of favour with the advent of nylon monofilament line, but it's perhaps worth bearing in mind that both were designed when braided lines were in use . . . . . :pipe:

I buy fishing rods.

Cyprio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Cyprio » Fri Jul 06 2018 13:59

Also known as "Compulsive Hoarding Disorder" :clown:

Although There's no disorder in your hoarding :laughs: :cool:

Andy

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Fri Jul 06 2018 14:52

They're still in use round here. :grin:

I found this one, with a peg improvised from a chopstick by the look of things, a few years back.
_DL33623.JPG

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Jul 06 2018 20:20

davelumb wrote:
They're still in use round here. :grin:

I found this one, with a peg improvised from a chopstick by the look of things, a few years back.

_DL33623.JPG
I found one once, with a pencil stuffed into it as a makeshift peg! (Convenient to keep a note of the catch? :laughs: ).

In contrast, some of the posher Victorian ones have their wooden pegs sheathed with goose quill.

I buy fishing rods.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sun Jul 29 2018 13:11

Four days ago, these were Herring Gull feathers, washed up on the high tide line at Cayton Bay on the Yorkshire coast.

(Soon they will be messing with the heads of the local carp anglers :pipe: ).

I buy fishing rods.

Mattjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mattjb » Sun Jul 29 2018 17:08

I made some floats recently with gull feathers and some with cork bodies using either gull quills or bamboo skewers for the stems.i've mainly used what I have either found or had lying around.
The cork bodies l turned from wine corks shoved on a Dremel and shaped with sandpaper.
My ducks have recently moulted and I've collected some feathers for float making,they seem more robust than the gull quills but I haven't got round to turning them into floats yet.
There is definitely something satisfying about catching on a float you've made yourself!

Mattjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mattjb » Sun Jul 29 2018 17:21

Here are some of my first efforts. I've been learning as I go,mainly to have more patience between coats of paint/varnish ,that I need a finer whipping thread and fly tying silk is no good for whipping as the fibres separate!

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Sun Jul 29 2018 19:38

Why do those floats make me think of ladies legs in fish net stocking :scratch: :scratch: :laughs: :laughs:.

Will.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sun Jul 29 2018 20:48

Will Smith wrote:
Why do those floats make me think of ladies legs in fish net stocking :scratch: :scratch: :laughs: :laughs:.

Will.
I think that's something you'll need to discuss with a psycho-analyst Will! :clown:

I buy fishing rods.

Happy Hayes
Major
Major

Post by Happy Hayes » Mon Jul 30 2018 09:11

John Milford wrote:
Will Smith wrote:

Will.
I think that's something you'll need to discuss with a psycho-analyst Will! :clown:
:laughs: :laughs: :boing:

Will Smith
Major
Major

Post by Will Smith » Mon Jul 30 2018 22:04

Come on, I can't be the only one who see that, or am I ? :red: . :laughs: :laughs: .

Will

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sat Aug 04 2018 07:39

I had a phase of making floats and used all the usual materials mentioned random quills I found and cane stems cork etc and few materials none of you will have had .......the tube violin strings came in :roll:

I had a small paperback book can't remember the title now about 'how to' make floats and one of the materials mentioned that I used to use was elder pith. A very delicate material and tricky to shape (and harvest) but super light and buoyant and satisfying to master the use of, I must have few in a box somewhere, I don't throw much away. :clown:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Sat Aug 04 2018 09:53

Are your floats as attractive are your home-made lures Martin? :clown:

I've never tried elder pith, but know where to get it. Must give that a go :thumbs:

Martin James of Redditch used to sell a range of odd little elder pith floats, beautifully presented in little cardboard tubes. The were called 'Elfin' floats and the full set, complete in their presentation wallet, would be a very highly prized find for a vintage tackle collector. Even individual ones in their tubes are very expensive - £20+ each presently.

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 04 2018 16:51

I can't find my elder pith float. Made from the pith of the elder that grows at the back of my fence. :sad: It is very soft stuff to work and soon sands away to nothing.

I've made floats with paper bodies in the old days. :grin:

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sat Aug 04 2018 21:37

John Milford wrote:
Are your floats as attractive are your home-made lures Martin? :clown:

I've never tried elder pith, but know where to get it. Must give that a go :thumbs:

Martin James of Redditch used to sell a range of odd little elder pith floats, beautifully presented in little cardboard tubes. The were called 'Elfin' floats and the full set, complete in their presentation wallet, would be a very highly prized find for a vintage tackle collector. Even individual ones in their tubes are very expensive - £20+ each presently.
Of course John every bit as beautiful as my legendary home made lures :clown:

I think back then I used to partially shape the pith then harden it with coat of something before shaping it finally then painting possibly a coat of varnish over that, it can be a mistake to paint and varnish too much as it can reduce the buoyancy if your not careful.

martin godliman
Colonel
Colonel

Post by martin godliman » Sun Aug 05 2018 16:10

Didn't know there were quite so many I do seem to have favoured fluro orange rather a lot with a pip at the top :roll: most of the bodies are elder pith some of the biggest might be cork.......can you spot the rogue interloper in there John ? :grin: