Vintage rod info req

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
bio-haul
Stickleback
Stickleback

Vintage rod info req

Post by bio-haul » Mon Nov 04 2019 18:24

Any info on when this was manufactured? Very little info out there, and enquiries to Garbolino customer service have been met with....silence.

The rod is a 6' spinning rod, 2 piece, made of zicral (zycral) alloy. Joined together with ferrule, then screwing down threaded connector.
Butt end is brass threaded rubber 'bung'

Rod is marked "Mohican", H.Garbolino, Ecouen (S-0) Made In France
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Re: Vintage rod info req

Post by John Milford » Mon Nov 04 2019 19:31

That's a very interesting rod, which I hazard is older than it looks. I'm lead to think that due to the screw-in rubber button which is somewhat anachronistic in combination with the 'space age' alloy construction. I reckon late 1950s at the very earliest, but more likely 1960s. :shrug:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

bio-haul
Stickleback
Stickleback

Re: Vintage rod info req

Post by bio-haul » Mon Nov 04 2019 22:07

Thanks John

I have seen other French rods with the same 'bung' (it stops the reel seat clamps falling off).

I inherited this from my grandad (and I am now myself a grandad) so 50s/60s sounds about right. Just wanted a definitive date.

I do remember using it in France when I was very young, used it for trout fishing, chucking size 0,1 mepps spinners