Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Talk about Lure/Tackle ID's; Reminisce over bygone times and old fishing tackle
Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Re: Angling books you cut your teeth on....

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:24

John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:
His idea for treble hooks with clips at the top of the shank (so that an angler could take a pile of untangled lure bodies to the waterside, and then clip a couple of trebles on to the chosen lure) was not taken up by any hook maker.
Barrie and I used to talk and correspond about old lures quite regularly, but at the time I had not really started to research and collect really old lures (i.e. from the Victorian & Edwardian era).

I'm sure Barrie would have been highly amused to find that his 'clip on' treble idea was being used on Allcock lures over 100 years ago!

t*t-Bit 1.75in 1.JPG
Is that an Allcocks Tittlebat or am I confusing it with another lure?

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:29

I think I am confusing it's name but I'm sure you once told me as I think I have one. Its bent like a banana. I binned the old hooks which I seem to remember you telling me it was a mistake John?

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:34

davelumb wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.
Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

I'd post the vid if it didn't name the loch! :laughs:

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:
I've been watching Jack Hargreaves stuff. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDsKitchen/videos
His stepson is a friend on FB and seems to be constantly trying to shut down stuff like that on YouTube as he has the sole rights to his step father's TV shows.
Maybe he's tied in with Dave Knowles who he's selling DVDs - https://daveknowles.net/product-categor ... argreaves/
He has a FB group and quite a few of the old names I remember from Fishing Magic are members. (Out Of Town With Jack Hargreaves.)

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:43

Chris Hammond wrote:
John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:
His idea for treble hooks with clips at the top of the shank (so that an angler could take a pile of untangled lure bodies to the waterside, and then clip a couple of trebles on to the chosen lure) was not taken up by any hook maker.
Barrie and I used to talk and correspond about old lures quite regularly, but at the time I had not really started to research and collect really old lures (i.e. from the Victorian & Edwardian era).

I'm sure Barrie would have been highly amused to find that his 'clip on' treble idea was being used on Allcock lures over 100 years ago!

t*t-Bit 1.75in 1.JPG
Close Chris! It's a 't*t-Bit', designed in 1913 by Alfred Williams, who was a director at Allcocks. There was a celluloid version too.

True Form t*t Bits~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Tue Apr 28 2020 15:45

Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
I have never understood the appeal of Mr Crabtree. I think the illustration style (or lack of style!) put me off, and they seemed old fashioned.

What ever you do don't pic up BVs Biography A Stream of Life. A really tedious and difficult read IMO. And I'm sad to say I never made it to the end.
Thanks for the warning.

I've been googling BV and found a lovely clip of him plugging for pike. Smart use of the gaff too. :thumbs:

Lots of stuff on Youtube, BV fishing all over, Jack Hargreaves, Ivan Marks etc. All bring a smile to my face. :thumbs:

His stepson is a friend on FB and seems to be constantly trying to shut down stuff like that on YouTube as he has the sole rights to his step father's TV shows.
Maybe he's tied in with Dave Knowles who he's selling DVDs - https://daveknowles.net/product-categor ... argreaves/
He has a FB group and quite a few of the old names I remember from Fishing Magic are members. (Out Of Town With Jack Hargreaves.)
I don't do FB for fishing, but ta. Fishing Magic used to be OK. Apart from the daft old duffers! :laughs:

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 19:30

John Milford wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:

t*t-Bit 1.75in 1.JPG
Close Chris! It's a 't*t-Bit', designed in 1913 by Alfred Williams, who was a director at Allcocks. There was a celluloid version too.

True Form t*t Bits~2.jpg
I was trying to think what it was about the hooks that was unique. I remember now, the original hooks on mine were made like a modern Genie clip or if you like hair grip style so they slid on and off the lure loops without the need for a split ring.

Has yours been repainted John? Mine is very faded if I remember correctly.

And I couldn't put my hands on it right now and it's just dawned on me that I have more lures somewhere in the house! ... drat and double drat!! :mad:

Chris Hammond
Chub
Chub

Post by Chris Hammond » Tue Apr 28 2020 19:31

davelumb wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Monts wrote:
davelumb wrote:

Thanks for the warning.

I don't do FB for fishing, but ta. Fishing Magic used to be OK. Apart from the daft old duffers! :laughs:
Yeah well its the daft old duffers who congregate on his group!

John Milford
Zander
Zander

Post by John Milford » Tue Apr 28 2020 20:12

Chris Hammond wrote:
John Milford wrote:
Chris Hammond wrote:
John Milford wrote:
greencard1 wrote:

t*t-Bit 1.75in 1.JPG

True Form t*t Bits~2.jpg
I was trying to think what it was about the hooks that was unique. I remember now, the original hooks on mine were made like a modern Genie clip or if you like hair grip style so they slid on and off the lure loops without the need for a split ring.

Has yours been repainted John? Mine is very faded if I remember correctly.

And I couldn't put my hands on it right now and it's just dawned on me that I have more lures somewhere in the house! ... drat and double drat!! :mad:
That's the original paint on that 't*t-Bit'. They were available in plain nickle and brass in addition to painted finishes.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "

greencard1
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by greencard1 » Wed Jul 08 2020 09:03

Again, not an old book, but a brand new book from 2020 that I can recommend. It is 'Casting Shadows, fish and fishing in Britain' by Tom Fort.
A bit expensive at £20, but an interesting read from an experienced angler.
For those that have to own everything that mentions BB, there is quite a bit in this book, including a recent photo of the boathouse from BB's 'Wood Pool'.
Other subjects include predation, poaching, eels and salmon. Interesting photos too

Probably should have put this in 'Book Reviews', but nobody reads that!