Post by Bob Barker » Sun May 11 2014 17:40

Bait boxes have been relisted:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231227351779? ... EBIDX%3AIT

or maybe they have lots of them. :scratch:

I had one of these:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141278650941? ... EBIDX%3AIT

it got swept of the rocks one windy night in Cornwall. :cry:

Bob Barker
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.

Bob Barker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Effgeco

Post by Bob Barker » Mon May 19 2014 14:34

JohnHorsfield wrote:
Just spotted this thread. better late than never I suppose. If I remember correctly they were one of the first to produce a specimen sized landing net, a 32 and 42 inch models I think. The lads I fished with at the time (around 1966 /67 had them.
They were, a fine 30" 'specimen' has just sold on ebay.
NetEF30.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271483022607? ... EBIDX%3AIT

For £62.00 + £5.50 P&P :eek:

Bob barker :smile:
We spend years trying to make something idiot proof then the universe produces a better idiot.

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Sat Nov 11 2017 02:40

Just found this thread

I still have one of thier largest pike nets, bought it when chin gaffing was being moaned about, super strong and damn nigh indestructible which is more than can be said for ALL of todays offerings.
I also have a cotton brolly made by the same company, best thing about cotton is it doesn't form a inpenetrable barrier to the wind (and rain) so it doesn't quite keep you dry but it also doesn't need hammering down to stop it blowing away.
I had one of their rod holdalls but it rotted away, the strap was okay and still serves me well on my roll-up (the original design that everyone copied) even seeing service recently on the bigger of BW waters.

Efgeeco, 100% British designed and English made from English materials by English workers, how much or any of todays tackle will last as long?

:thumbs:

Creek Chub
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Creek Chub » Sat Nov 18 2017 11:41

Fred J Taylor worked for them for a period and influenced a lot of their tackle towards the big fish anglers, landing nets, umbrellas, luggage etc. Their factory/ offices were in Balham South London, a lot of their stuff was very well made. The Pakaseat, landing nets and tackle boxes do if in good condition command high prices on EBay.
Some years ago Matt Hayes/TFG made a copy of the Pakaseat quite a good copy but I don't think it sold very well !

delboy
Major
Major

Post by delboy » Sat Nov 18 2017 16:46

Efgeeco, 100% British designed and English made from English materials by English workers, how much or any of todays tackle will last as long?

[/quote]

Brings a tear to my eye boy :thumbs:
Nothing wrong with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Its everyone else.

ChrisWales
Captain
Captain

Post by ChrisWales » Sat Nov 18 2017 19:00

I own (and still use) an Efgeeco tackle box, was gifted to me second hand in the 80's, sat in the loft for the best part of 30 years and came back into service when I started fishing again a couple of years ago :eek:
Will try and remember to upload a photo

mark salt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mark salt » Sat Nov 18 2017 23:18

Company was founded by the late, great fly fisher John Goddard: http://www.anglingheritage.org/p-22647- ... ddard.aspx.
He co wrote "The "Trout and the Fly" with Brian Clark, a book that changed the way I thought about how all fish see and feed.

HARRYW
Private
Private

Post by HARRYW » Sun Nov 19 2017 19:26

I've got an effgeco tripod rod rest with extending legs and a rubber rod holder. Had it as a boy and used it for sea fishing for years. It even had a hook for a Tilley lamp. Still going strong after 50 years .🙂

fenfisher55
Corporal
Corporal

Post by fenfisher55 » Sat Dec 02 2017 11:37

Bob Barker wrote:
JohnHorsfield wrote:
Just spotted this thread. better late than never I suppose. If I remember correctly they were one of the first to produce a specimen sized landing net, a 32 and 42 inch models I think. The lads I fished with at the time (around 1966 /67 had them.
They were, a fine 30" 'specimen' has just sold on ebay.
NetEF30.jpg
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271483022607? ... EBIDX%3AIT

For £62.00 + £5.50 P&P :eek:

Bob barker :smile:
I just realized that I still use this effgeco frame with an original pole when I feel like just nipping down to the river for a hour, I must have bought it......... Sh*t some 40 years ago :afraid: , the string and the net have been replaced though, rubbish british quality....it should have been mouse proof :laughs:

missalot
Corporal
Corporal

Post by missalot » Tue Jan 16 2018 14:12

eloman wrote:
im sure i had some alarms made by them, line went through a wheel,cant remember them letting me down so probably wernt that bad
I cant remember them ever making much noise either. :violin:

Bob Barker
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bob Barker » Tue Jan 16 2018 16:44

Bait boxes still going for silly money, :eek: :roll:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-OLD-SKOOL- ... SwuhRZ32UF

A few of the tackle boxes:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/efgeeco-vint ... SwmZFZoXz9

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EFGEECO-VINT ... 0005.m1851

Check out the Gaffs, gag and disgorgers in this one, looks like Mr A. C. Jones from Kent was a pike angler. :smile:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-khak ... SwXshaRk6Z
PikeTools01.jpg
I still use my Pak-a-Seat on occasion for short sessions, replaced the strap with one a bit more comfy. :wink:

Bob Barker. :smile:

Mattjb
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Mattjb » Wed Jan 17 2018 16:08

I had a framed efgeeco rucksack/box for years, was quite narrow but the green material covering was pretty waterproof and robust.Mine had a backpack type strap though so maybe a later model.

Vermillion
Private
Private

Post by Vermillion » Sat Jan 27 2018 16:58

I had an Efgeeco one piece fishing suit, it will have been about 30 years ago when I bought it. I can't quite remember why I stopped wearing it.
You can just about make out the Red label logo on the breast pocket.
To enjoy anything worthwhile, there must be some difficulty in obtaining it.

OLDESOX
Major
Major

Post by OLDESOX » Sat Jan 27 2018 17:02

Mike J wrote:
Just found this thread

I still have one of thier largest pike nets, bought it when chin gaffing was being moaned about, super strong and damn nigh indestructible which is more than can be said for ALL of todays offerings.
I also have a cotton brolly made by the same company, best thing about cotton is it doesn't form a inpenetrable barrier to the wind (and rain) so it doesn't quite keep you dry but it also doesn't need hammering down to stop it blowing away.
I had one of their rod holdalls but it rotted away, the strap was okay and still serves me well on my roll-up (the original design that everyone copied) even seeing service recently on the bigger of BW waters.

treat the umbrella with silicone waterproofer job done
retired so time to smell the roses.

OLDESOX
Major
Major

Post by OLDESOX » Sat Jan 27 2018 17:03

ChrisWales wrote:
I own (and still use) an Efgeeco tackle box, was gifted to me second hand in the 80's, sat in the loft for the best part of 30 years and came back into service when I started fishing again a couple of years ago :eek:
Will try and remember to upload a photo
use mine in the boat tackle box and seat spot on!

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Sun Jan 28 2018 10:29

OLDESOX wrote:
Mike J wrote:
Just found this thread

treat the umbrella with silicone waterproofer job done

The cotten Efgeeco I have unearthed, but have since found my Nubrolly circa 1980 from Alan Browns, the problem is I never bother with a brolly these days.
If its slight drizzle I sit behind some cover in my two piece, if its heavy I either go home or go another day.
Being retired has its benefits, and choosing your times, days and weather is certainly one of the better ones :grin:
(No I dont have a bus pass)!

OLDESOX
Major
Major

Post by OLDESOX » Sun Jan 28 2018 16:53

MIKE, i do have a bus pass lol, but i'd fill the bus up!!!! to be fair i take shelter mainly for escape from the winds.and go when other might not. tight lines

Snapper
Private
Private

Post by Snapper » Tue Feb 06 2018 14:04

John Davis wrote:
I've got an old canvas bucket in the shed made by Efgeeco and a couple of maggot tubs.
Absolutely bomb proof those canvas buckets, wish they still did them. Had a lovely 'Angling' smell to them.

ChrisWales
Captain
Captain

Post by ChrisWales » Thu Apr 19 2018 14:21

My Ye Olde takle boxe
box1.jpg
box2.jpg

BOBC
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by BOBC » Sat Apr 21 2018 08:36

Coming up 50 years old and still going strong
IMG_20180419_103817.jpg

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Thu Aug 02 2018 17:25

Well chuffed with this £1 car boot bargain today! (I'm easily pleased :laughs: ).

"...one of the least sensible and astute people on here ..."

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Aug 02 2018 17:29

You was robbed!

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Thu Aug 02 2018 17:45

I buy fishing rods.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Thu Aug 02 2018 17:45

Bob Watson
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Bob Watson » Thu Aug 02 2018 18:44

John Milford wrote:
Well chuffed with this £1 car boot bargain today! (I'm easily pleased :laughs: ).

I had one when I was at the broads about 74, can't remember if I got it from Woolworths with my rod and reel, or the little shop in Horning?

davyr
Private
Private

Post by davyr » Fri Aug 03 2018 07:40

The lids on those Efgeeco bait boxes were ok, but the boxes themselves were made of a type of plastic that usually went brittle and cracked and/or split over time and with use. I still have and use a little Milbro bait box (yellow with a red lid) that I took on my first fishing trip in 1963 at the age of 10 - both box and lid are the same sort of flexible plastic used for the Efgeeco lids and there's no sign of any cracking or splitting 55 years later!

Mike J
Major
Major

Post by Mike J » Fri Aug 03 2018 08:13

Agreed they did seem to get brittle with time.
But before plastic we had aluminium bait tins and they never split at all.
They just got bent, buckled and sat on until the lid wouldn't fit any more.
Anyone still got one for those?

John Milford
Colonel
Colonel

Post by John Milford » Fri Aug 03 2018 11:14

Mike J wrote:
Agreed they did seem to get brittle with time.
But before plastic we had aluminium bait tins and they never split at all.
They just got bent, buckled and sat on until the lid wouldn't fit any more.
Anyone still got one for those?
(Never had anything so posh as a kid, but did have the ubiquitous 'baccy tins with holes punched in the lid with a tack :pipe: ).
An oblong shortbread tin with 'backy tins inside it was my prototype 'Fox Box' as a nipper. One of our mates had a sectioned 'Elastoplas' tin. We were all jealous of that. :laughs: I still can't bring myself to throw away handy little tins, even to this day!

I buy fishing rods.

Mercman
Major
Major

Post by Mercman » Fri Aug 03 2018 12:32

I'd love to see you fishing John, must be like going back in time, you've certainly got some lovely old tackle.... :thumbs:
You can learn so much from old people that is why... Delboy is my 75 year old mentor
I am now.....Delboy's Mentor... :grin: