Post by mickmcd »

Very sad to read this sort of thing these days,

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43468066
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Re: Another extinct species?

Post by ChrisWales »

Trying to bring it back via IVF, all very Jurassic Park!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

all killed so that some limp dicked Asian can kid himself it will give him a boner :veryevil:
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I watched a programme about them a few months ago and how they were trying to inseminate other rhinos with the embryos, very sad, they were not having a great deal of success.
The ivory trade will take many more species off the planet as long as there is a market for the stuff, what the solution is I don't know but I hope they find one soon.

Will.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Will Smith wrote: Wed Mar 21 2018 22:01 -
I watched a programme about them a few months ago and how they were trying to inseminate other rhinos with the embryos, very sad, they were not having a great deal of success.
The ivory trade will take many more species off the planet as long as there is a market for the stuff, what the solution is I don't know but I hope they find one soon.

Will.
in some areas they have been cutting the horns off rhinos to stop them being killed, in others they have apparently been dying them to make it unsaleable
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Yes Kev, I have heard of these tactics to prevent poaching, but if there was no market for the Ivory, they would not be killed in the first place, stricter penalties for the traders are required IMO, they all take the p**s and sell illegal stock.

Will.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: Wed Mar 21 2018 23:56 -

Will.
in some areas they have been cutting the horns off rhinos to stop them being killed, in others they have apparently been dying them to make it unsaleable
The trouble is ,Kev that there is quite a bit of the horn left that attaches it to the skull so they still get killed.
The northern white Rhino was finished as a species about 15 years ago when numbers dropped bellow what's needed for a viable gene pool.
These animals do not need to produce many offspring for numbers of the species to remain stable as they have very low predation and are quite long lived.
This means that its very difficult to successfully breed then in captivity, IVF or not!

All very very sad!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Mar 22 2018 07:55 -

Will.
The trouble is ,Kev that there is quite a bit of the horn left that attaches it to the skull so they still get killed.
The northern white Rhino was finished as a species about 15 years ago when numbers dropped bellow what's needed for a viable gene pool.
These animals do not need to produce many offspring for numbers of the species to remain stable as they have very low predation and are quite long lived.
This means that its very difficult to successfully breed then in captivity, IVF or not!

All very very sad!

Cheers Alan
yes Ive heard of them still killing rhinos for the stump that's left. All very sad that something so magnificent is killed for what is more or less compressed hair.
All this goes mainly to traditional chinese medicine (and Arab daggers with a rhino horn handle are a must for every "prince")
yet the wildlife protectors don't seem to be pressuring the far east rulers to stop it, :cry:
cookiesdaughtersdad
Zander
Zander

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: Thu Mar 22 2018 09:49 -
cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Thu Mar 22 2018 07:55 -

Will.

All very very sad!

Cheers Alan
yes Ive heard of them still killing rhinos for the stump that's left. All very sad that something so magnificent is killed for what is more or less compressed hair.
All this goes mainly to traditional chinese medicine (and Arab daggers with a rhino horn handle are a must for every "prince")
yet the wildlife protectors don't seem to be pressuring the far east rulers to stop it, :cry:
Agreed mate :cry:

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Wat Tyler
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Wat Tyler »

Very sad but I am more concerned with the plight of the water vole and hedgehog myself.

' Charity begins at home'
"No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."