A mixed bag

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

A mixed bag

Post by davelumb » Sat Aug 01 2020 10:36

I spotted what I take to be a second brood of goldfinch being fed on my feeder this morning. Three youngsters. Crap photos but fun.

Couldn't get all three in the same pic

But I got this assortment as a bonus!

benelli
Gudgeon
Gudgeon

Re: A mixed bag

Post by benelli » Sat Aug 01 2020 21:52

Cracking little birds Goldie's 👍

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Aug 02 2020 20:40

Years back it was frowned on to supplement feed during the breeding season, attitudes changed and I feed all year round except I do feed less during August September due to arable crops present, I have seen a big increase on certain species within the homestead but still some losers along the way, notably green finches that I believe suffered a huge drop due to a bacterial infection.

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Aug 02 2020 20:57

Stewlaws wrote:
Years back it was frowned on to supplement feed during the breeding season, attitudes changed and I feed all year round except I do feed less during August September due to arable crops present, I have seen a big increase on certain species within the homestead but still some losers along the way, notably green finches that I believe suffered a huge drop due to a bacterial infection.
Goldies seem to be thriving. I even see flocks of them in town in Southport.

Greenfinches declined round here too, although I have found a family of them locally which seems to hang around a couple of isolated farms.

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Aug 02 2020 21:18

davelumb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:

Greenfinches declined round here too, although I have found a family of them locally which seems to hang around a couple of isolated farms.
Goldfinches are a success story Dave, a lovely bird to see, I'm inundated by house sparrows, not to everyone taste but a socially gregarious bird with a hierarchy that make them an interesting viewing ...

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb » Sun Aug 02 2020 21:31

Stewlaws wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:

Goldfinches are a success story Dave, a lovely bird to see, I'm inundated by house sparrows, not to everyone taste but a socially gregarious bird with a hierarchy that make them an interesting viewing ...
I like house sparrows too. A flock of twenty plus visits, often hanging around in the hedge at the back of my 'garden'. They used to nest under one of my roof tiles until I had some work done and the roofer blocked it up without asking. Keep meaning to put a nest box up for them. Maybe next spring.

2011. Time flies!

Stewlaws
Perch
Perch

Post by Stewlaws » Sun Aug 02 2020 21:44

davelumb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:
davelumb wrote:
Stewlaws wrote:

I like house sparrows too. A flock of twenty plus visits, often hanging around in the hedge at the back of my 'garden'. They used to nest under one of my roof tiles until I had some work done and the roofer blocked it up without asking. Keep meaning to put a nest box up for them. Maybe next spring.

2011. Time flies!

I've been hard landscaping the garden putting in a bigger pond 20' by 16' and in it I've placed bone oak in the centre so it protrudes from the water, like skeletal fingers rising up, the sparrows use it to drink from.Additionly I've sprayed the whole lawn off to reseed, the sparrows are constantly dust bathing in it, I've levelled it so many times but the dimples left by bathing birds really do make it look interesting... The sparrowhawk swoops over most days but it's the Swift's that get the most upset by this, mobbing wholesale...