Final call for any pre-Christmas clothing requests, we’re placing our order with the supplier tomorrow at 9am

Smart phone pictures

For the Twitchers amongst us
Mark Phillips
Barbel
Barbel

Smart phone pictures

Post by Mark Phillips »

I know, still no substitute for a decent DLSR and quality lens, but the gap is getting closer my friends. I first noticed a leap in quality with the iPhone 11pro, then the 12promax and now I have the 13promax and it's starting to get real. I often use my iPhone instead of the DLSR to capture stuff when I'm walking about or even fishing. Here you go, all taken with a phone! Anyone else care to share their wildlife phone pics?

Click on image to enhance detail... bottom two are a Marbled White and a Hornet Mimic - bloody big old fly that!

Piking Plonker
martin(rockape)
Chub
Chub

Re: Smart phone pictures

Post by martin(rockape) »

Lovely photos. I think phone cameras are ok for portrait/ family photos etc but for landscape/ wild life they're not that good. Having said that as you've done you can get some cracking photos of plants and insects provided they stay still long enough.

Regards

Martin
lakefisher
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by lakefisher »

I clicked - and was impressed - then realised I could zoom in again - - and was astounded at the detail available from a phone
I'm more familiar with camera's that use "film" ........Tony
Mike F
Perch
Perch

Post by Mike F »

Bloody amazing pictures from mobile phones now. Just a tip but i downloaded an app called whistle camera which lets you operate the shutter by whistling so taking selfies is a breeze when fishing. Game changer!
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

People must be easily pleased if they think the quality of those pics is good. It's nowhere near that from a DSLR/mirrorless camera.

I zoomed in and the images looked very 'smeary'. I assume the phone applied a lot of noise reduction.

This is from my eight year old compact and was underexposed so noisier than it could have been.

Full image - https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/517 ... ba5_4k.jpg

What phone cameras do do is get focus and exposure right through automatic computational wizardry, making it easy for non-camera folk to get pics which look good on the phone screen or instagram etc. Used in good light the best ones can be pretty amazing, but they are optimised to make photos which look good on small screens IMO. They make it easy for people to get better shots than they ever did in the film days without having to think about it.