Kestrels and sparrowhawk

For the Twitchers amongst us
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub

Kestrels and sparrowhawk

Post by Stewlaws »

No pictures to post, but driving into Bristol today watched 2 kestrels on a pylon wire sitting adjacent to one another, not something you normally see this time of year or come to that normally, then I watched sparrowhawk flying overhead relatively high getting harangued by a flock of possibly finches, always amuses me that within nature this mob handed display is allowed to proceed against what is effectively their predator.

More odd is why mob a predator when no young present and everything fledged long a go... Fascinating nature!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Kestrels and sparrowhawk

Post by davelumb »

I don't think small flocking birds can help themselves when they see a raptor, it's instinct.
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub

Post by Stewlaws »

davelumb wrote: Fri Jan 14 2022 19:46 -
I don't think small flocking birds can help themselves when they see a raptor, it's instinct.
Obviously a survival instinct is present through flight/fight... But watching a group haranguing this sparrowhawk way up was brazen, I've seen some great feats of courage from some species protecting young/nests ... including a hen pheasant dragging a wing enticing a fox away from a clutch she was sitting on, but January I did find it incredible these birds were engaged in a gesture quite unnecessary.
Kev Berry
Pike
Pike

Post by Kev Berry »

Pradatory birds cannot afford to get hurt/lose feathers etc...means death/starvation
So prey or other birds like crows that on a one to one basis they would have no bother despatching gang up on them.
Only needs a few feathers out of place to seriously disable them
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Its always the Crows that mob the Buzzards around hear :hammer: :fight:

Grant :smile:
Grant Everson

Nothing others do is because of you. What others
say and do is a projection of their reality, their
own dream. When you are immune to the opinions