Slow worm romance

For the Twitchers amongst us
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Slow worm romance

Post by Mattjb »

I’ve put a few pics of the slow worms in our garden before but this is something I’ve never seen before.
I’ve got some paving slabs that I put near our compost heap for the slow worms to go under and warm up on sunny days and found these two under one the other evening. At first I thought they were just two that had happened to curl up under the same slab but on closer inspection I could see one had the other by the neck!
A bit of Googling revealed that this is how slow worms mate , the male grabs the female round the neck/head and keeps hold.They then twist their bodies round each other and can mate for up to 10 hours!
The other pic is one of last years babies being carefully held by my daughter.
Of all the creatures in our suburban garden, these are probably my favourite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monts
Zander
Zander

Re: Slow worm romance

Post by Monts »

Mattjb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 06:28 -
I’ve put a few pics of the slow worms in our garden before but this is something I’ve never seen before.
I’ve got some paving slabs that I put near our compost heap for the slow worms to go under and warm up on sunny days and found these two under one the other evening. At first I thought they were just two that had happened to curl up under the same slab but on closer inspection I could see one had the other by the neck!
A bit of Googling revealed that this is how slow worms mate , the male grabs the female round the neck/head and keeps hold.They then twist their bodies round each other and can mate for up to 10 hours!
Fantastic little critters Matt, love them. :thumbs:
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've still never seen a slow worm. :sad:
Monts
Zander
Zander

Post by Monts »

davelumb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 07:15 -
I'm off fishing shortly, if I see one. I'll grab it and send it to you as a pet, I used to keep them as a kid. 😀
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Must be some round your area somewhere though Dave?
Areas of heathland with flat stones to look under on a sunny day would be worth a look if you’ve got any suitable sites nearby.
I wonder if there’s any database of slow worm sightings you could look at to give you a clue?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 07:30 -
Must be some round your area somewhere though Dave?
Areas of heathland with flat stones to look under on a sunny day would be worth a look if you’ve got any suitable sites nearby.
I wonder if there’s any database of slow worm sightings you could look at to give you a clue?
I've heard of some near a railway line, but not found them when I've gone looking.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Monts wrote: Sat May 14 2022 06:40 -
Fantastic little critters Matt, love them. :thumbs:
I virtually chopped one in half whilst strimming in the garden last year and I was most upset. Now I make sure I don’t strim to close to the ground.lesson learned :cry:
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Would they make a good bait for large Perch?
:laughs:
Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith »

We have them around here, I caught one up last year for the Grand kids to see, non of them would even touch it, kids are wusses these days :laughs: .

Will.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Will Smith wrote: Sat May 14 2022 10:34 -
We have them around here, I caught one up last year for the Grand kids to see, non of them would even touch it, kids are wusses these days :laughs: .

Will.
Not my girl, she will catch frogs with her hands from the school pond , the boys wont touch them though!
I caught a big blenny last time we went rockpooling. I said to her you hold it. She said no dad it will bite ( one nipped her a few years back)
I said he won’t hurt you and with that the b*****d bit me!
She laughed her head off
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub

Post by Stewlaws »

Cool matt, we get common lizards here, if people care to stop on the cycle path they would see them basking on the old steel rail line in situ still... great to see.
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat May 14 2022 16:44 -

Cool matt, we get common lizards here, if people care to stop on the cycle path they would see them basking on the old steel rail line in situ still... great to see.
Nice! We used to see lizards on what is now the Bristol to Bath cycle track when I was young but haven’t seen any for years.
There’s a nature reserve in west Wales that we sometimes walk round with an area of collapsed wall that is a black slag type material. Amazing how many lizards of different sizes and markings you see on a sunny day.
How did your roach campaign pan out in the end?
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub

Post by Stewlaws »

Mattjb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 17:46 -

Nice! We used to see lizards on what is now the Bristol to Bath cycle track when I was young but haven’t seen any for years.
There’s a nature reserve in west Wales that we sometimes walk round with an area of collapsed wall that is a black slag type material. Amazing how many lizards of different sizes and markings you see on a sunny day.
Not too shabby .. but never connected on the BA, had to fine right down to size 22 on the canal, had a few good mixed bags on the KA which was amusing, but the bigger roach eluded me, on another water I had good results, but was mindful of a one water wonder, so need to find somewhere on the BA that will throw up ... think Malmesbury was in contention but to be honest Matt my fuel bill is huge currently !
How is the detecting going ? ...Funnily enough we started watching the detectorists again on Iplayer catch up. brilliantly written!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Stewlaws wrote: Sat May 14 2022 18:35 -
Mattjb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 17:46 -

Not too shabby .. but never connected on the BA, had to fine right down to size 22 on the canal, had a few good mixed bags on the KA which was amusing, but the bigger roach eluded me, on another water I had good results, but was mindful of a one water wonder, so need to find somewhere on the BA that will throw up ... think Malmesbury was in contention but to be honest Matt my fuel bill is huge currently !
How is the detecting going ? ...Funnily enough we started watching the detectorists again on Iplayer catch up. brilliantly written!
The upper Avon is where they used to come out but I wonder if the lower BA would be better bet these days but location would be difficult I guess.
Strangely I’ve never watched an episode of the detectorists!
Detecting has ground to a halt for now.my two main permissions are mostly arable and all under crop so out of bounds until harvest and any pasture is too dry and the grass too long to detect effectively.
I should be using the lay off to try and gain some new permissions really but just haven’t had the time!
Found a few nice bits before I stopped including my first Bronze Age item, a leather workers awl.
Did very little fishing over the winter, detecting took over my spare time!
Stewlaws
Chub
Chub

Post by Stewlaws »

You need to look it up ..very funny.

Dr Mark Everard has had success on the BA...again it's all down to location. I did find an area but they moved, but the stretch is appx 2 miles of locked in water with weirs either end, just a case of wandering around and observing
Will Smith
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Will Smith »

Mattjb wrote: Sat May 14 2022 11:23 -
Will Smith wrote: Sat May 14 2022 10:34 -

Will.
Not my girl, she will catch frogs with her hands from the school pond , the boys wont touch them though!
I caught a big blenny last time we went rockpooling. I said to her you hold it. She said no dad it will bite ( one nipped her a few years back)
I said he won’t hurt you and with that the b*****d bit me!
She laughed her head off
As you would !

Will.