Sparrowhawk takes down Jackdaw.

For the Twitchers amongst us
kenny sloan
Roach
Roach

Sparrowhawk takes down Jackdaw.

Post by kenny sloan »

https://youtu.be/aZSxZ1BlOdw
Took this one a few years ago ,the hawk still comes back and takes an odd bird from the busy bird tables .
Freako
Chub
Chub

Re: Sparrowhawk takes down Jackdaw.

Post by Freako »

kenny sloan wrote: Fri Dec 29 2017 21:30 -
https://youtu.be/aZSxZ1BlOdw
Took this one a few years ago ,the hawk still comes back and takes an odd bird from the busy bird tables .
Its a tough world out there Kenny for sure. Thanks for posting.
Mick.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Great, anything that reduces the numbers of corvids is always welcome.

We have a sparrow hawk that chases, and sometimes catches, the kingfishers on our river.
For whatever reason it always hunts them downstream??
Any ideas why it would do this?

Daffies and catkins out today :grin:

"Look ye also while life lasts" BB
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

Mike J wrote: Sat Dec 30 2017 09:58 -

We have a sparrow hawk that chases, and sometimes catches, the kingfishers on our river.

The only reason I can think of, is if there's any kind of downstream wind the hawk would use this to its advantage to gain speed for the chase.
Dale
pikerholic2
Barbel
Barbel

Post by pikerholic2 »

That hawk is aware your filming / standing , how close was you filming this kenny ?

Great vid , hawk seems to,accept your presence

Great vid , thanks for posting
Crack Hargreaves...........far out of town.

Mr godfrey I post mostly drivel
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Why ? I love corvids, highly intelligent and quite a good looking bird imo. I love watching their antics i seen one steal a parking ticket :laughs:

Would love to see more not less. When i was a wee lad we seen hundreds of them in a single tree (huge old tree) and the noise was brilliant and set the scene at an old castle. They get a bad rep from movies :giggle:

Id have one as a pet if i could :grin:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I once watched a Jackdaw take every chick from a Wrens nest in our garden and swallow each of them whole.
Since that day Ive shot every single one I could get within range of, even had a right and left at them once.

Growing up in the country us lads all had pet birds, mine was a Little Owl which would catch mice around the fields and farm, my friends was a Jack which took to landing on our heads and pecking us, it eventually landed on my fathers head and that was its last peck.
The worst we had was a tame Raven, blimey it was a worse biter than any dog but it eventaully went the same way as the head pecking Jack.

Since then Ive reared a baby rabbit dug out by my dogs and a tiny (grey) squirrel I saved from a hollow tree I had felled for firewood, yet Ive shot and trapped thousands of rabbits and hundreds of squirrels.
Such is the complexity of human nature.

A Happy and Joyous New Year to everyone.
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Andrew Croft wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 13:54 -

Why ? I love corvids, highly intelligent and quite a good looking bird imo. I love watching their antics i seen one steal a parking ticket :laughs:

Would love to see more not less. When i was a wee lad we seen hundreds of them in a single tree (huge old tree) and the noise was brilliant and set the scene at an old castle. They get a bad rep from movies :giggle:

Well feck me it must be the silly season as I agree with you Andrew :eek:
All the corvids are B E A utiful birds, get up close enough and just wow!
Magpies are quite a new thing to this area and now there are loads, jackdaws, jays, crows and rooks have always been about and yet I'm spending loads on bird food.

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Sparrows are arseholes :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Is his name Jack ?
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 20:31 -

Magpies are quite a new thing to this area and now there are loads, jackdaws, jays, crows and rooks have always been about and yet I'm spending loads on bird food.

Cheers Alan
this corvid thing is again a throw back to the shooting brigade, if its not game kill it especially if it eats pheasant chicks---of course they eat little birds, so do kestrels and sparrow hawks and all the other birds of prey---its not them wiping them out----ITS US doing that with our pesticides, slug pellets and habitat destruction.
Theres a pair of carrion crows on a certain lake I fish that have learned to come to us when we whistle them---they get a few chopped up sardines for coming to see us. Beautiful birds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cookiesdaughtersdad
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by cookiesdaughtersdad »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 21:13 -

Cheers Alan
this corvid thing is again a throw back to the shooting brigade, if its not game kill it especially if it eats pheasant chicks---of course they eat little birds, so do kestrels and sparrow hawks and all the other birds of prey---its not them wiping them out----ITS US doing that with our pesticides, slug pellets and habitat destruction.
Theres a pair of carrion crows on a certain lake I fish that have learned to come to us when we whistle them---they get a few chopped up sardines for coming to see us. Beautiful birds.
On a particular golf course I play you leave your bags by the next tee and walk to the green, the crows know that golfers often keep a few treats in the bags so help themselves so I made a point of taking a snack for them with me.
They would actually share it, or so it looked anyhow.
I cant understand how some people choose what parts of nature to love and what parts to hate, imbalances are always down to man!

Cheers Alan
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity" Seneca, some Roman chap.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

cookiesdaughtersdad wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 21:22 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 21:13 -

Cheers Alan
On a particular golf course I play you leave your bags by the next tee and walk to the green, the crows know that golfers often keep a few treats in the bags so help themselves so I made a point of taking a snack for them with me.
They would actually share it, or so it looked anyhow.
I cant understand how some people choose what parts of nature to love and what parts to hate, imbalances are always down to man!

Cheers Alan
its the same people who ooh and aah at TV programmes showing Africa red in tooth and claw ---- but then wish death and destruction on our predators that I don't understand :scratch:

if some idiot puts out several thousand pheasants (just to kill for fun) they can hardly moan if some get pinched by carnivorous birds---(more probably get run over then predated)
and if a song birds nest gets robbed by maggie---it will have made a new nest and laid a clutch within a week, this is how its always been and its not the corvids that have made a dint in the songbird population---we have done that.
kenny sloan
Roach
Roach

Post by kenny sloan »

pikerholic2 wrote: Sun Dec 31 2017 08:34 -
That hawk is aware your filming / standing , how close was you filming this kenny ?

Great vid , hawk seems to,accept your presence

Great vid , thanks for posting
I was about 10 ft away,very surprised it stayed mauling the bird so long ,must have been hungry .