Sparrows

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Sparrows

Post by davelumb »

This pair have found a nest hole. Sorry the pic isn't as good as Mick's, I only had a macro lens with me...

_7516807.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cooky
Roach
Roach

Re: Sparrows

Post by cooky »

you dont see many round here like you did years ago same as starlings and black birds its all magpies and seagulls here
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

cooky wrote: Sat Apr 06 2019 18:51 -
you dont see many round here like you did years ago same as starlings and black birds its all magpies and seagulls here
And the large fat wood pigeons.........all the smaller varieties definitely largely absent.

:roll:
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

It's the other way round where I live (Bristol).
From when we bought our house in 2010 until about 2 years ago there were very few sparrows around but since then they are emptying my sunflower hearts feeder pretty rapidly!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Post by Bob Watson »

I'm right on the edge of a built up area, walk over the road and I'm into the start of the middle of nowhere. We get a massive variety of birds in our back garden.

I don't even have a feeder, something I should address I suppose!
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Thats a great pic Dave. They and many others are struggling for nest site, this probably proves the point.
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Freako wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 08:18 -
Thats a great pic Dave. They and many others are struggling for nest site, this probably proves the point.
I used to have them nesting under my roof - until it started to leak last year and I got it fixed. :sad:

There's still a flock of 20 or more hang around the garden and the rest of the estate. I should put a sparrow nest box up.
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

If you are thinking of getting feeders try this online site for you seeds and peanuts.

I buy their peanut/sunflower combo.

Highly recommend them. :thumbs:

https://www.happybeaks.co.uk/
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I get my seeds from the local corn mill/feed merchant.
:smile:
http://www.bamfords.co.uk/products/?sl=robin-small-bird
phil.c
Zander
Zander

Post by phil.c »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 08:48 -
Handy to have somewhere local.

The only outlet near me would be the local 'Pets at home'.

Eye watering prices, hence why buying online.. :grin:
My opinion may offend, but it's only an opinion that may differ to your's.
It doesn't make me wrong.

Phil Cheriton....
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Hedge Sparrows have a quite pleasant song not so the House Sparrow, esp the male House Sparrows and this time of year it’s 8 weeks of incessant cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep... a house brick thrown in the hedge brings a few minutes peace, I often find that the Robin then starts to sing once they are gone and that is a lovely song.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

phil.c wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 09:23 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 08:48 -
Handy to have somewhere local.

The only outlet near me would be the local 'Pets at home'.

Eye watering prices, hence why buying online.. :grin:
Don't blame you Phil. I've been paying more since a mate of mine retired from the mill. He used to give me staff discount. The birds are less well fed now!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 10:10 -
Hedge Sparrows have a quite pleasant song not so the House Sparrow, esp the male House Sparrows and this time of year it’s 8 weeks of incessant cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep cheep... a house brick thrown in the hedge brings a few minutes peace, I often find that the Robin then starts to sing once they are gone and that is a lovely song.
The dunnock's song is much underrated, Steve. I find it as pleasing as that of the robin and blackbird. I quite like the endless chirping of the house sparrow. :grin:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 13:49 -
The dunnock's song is much underrated, Steve. I find it as pleasing as that of the robin and blackbird. I quite like the endless chirping of the house sparrow. :grin:
so do I, always made me smile to see the little feckers in a gang chirping at each other then flying off to have a squabble in the nearest hedge.

plastic soffits and fascias haven't done the sparrows starlings and swifts any favours
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 14:01 -
so do I, always made me smile to see the little feckers in a gang chirping at each other then flying off to have a squabble in the nearest hedge.

plastic soffits and fascias haven't done the sparrows starlings and swifts any favours
Not to mention the plastic stuff that goes over the edge of roofing tiles. Dunno what it's called.
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 14:09 -

Not to mention the plastic stuff that goes over the edge of roofing tiles. Dunno what it's called.
dry verge system
I think all new houses should have swift/starling/sparrow boxes built into them under the eaves
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 15:24 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 14:09 -

dry verge system
I think all new houses should have swift/starling/sparrow boxes built into them under the eaves
:thumbs:
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 08:24 -
I used to have them nesting under my roof - until it started to leak last year and I got it fixed. :sad:

There's still a flock of 20 or more hang around the garden and the rest of the estate. I should put a sparrow nest box up.
We still got loads around here Dave, I get at least two a year nesting in boxes on the fence.
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Freako wrote: Fri Apr 12 2019 22:12 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Apr 09 2019 08:24 -

We still got loads around here Dave, I get at least two a year nesting in boxes on the fence.
:thumbs:
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

One of my garden House Sparrows.

ImageHouse Sparrow. by
Mick Freakley
, on Flickr
Mick.
davelumb