Oystercatchers

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Oystercatchers

Post by davelumb »

It's that time of year when waders head for the uplands to nest. Saw this lot wheeling around yesterday, with lapwings and curlew calling in the vicinity.

Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Re: Oystercatchers

Post by Monts »

I do love a curlew, ever since the old animated classic cartoons after school and "The Last of the artic curlews". Nice photo that, nature just carries on doing what it does best.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

There's oystercatchers that nest on top of my kids' primary school. It burnt down about 10 years ago and when it was rebuilt they created a wee habitat with some rocks and sand and grasses on part of the roof. Theres been a few pairs of them for several years now. It's about 2 miles from the coast. The clowns never added a viewing feature though! To see them you have to be up a hill about 500 yards or more away!
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

zodiac wrote: Wed Apr 10 2019 22:58 -
There's oystercatchers that nest on top of my kids' primary school. It burnt down about 10 years ago and when it was rebuilt they created a wee habitat with some rocks and sand and grasses on part of the roof. Theres been a few pairs of them for several years now. It's about 2 miles from the coast. The clowns never added a viewing feature though! To see them you have to be up a hill about 500 yards or more away!
They're noisy buggers at this time of year. How will teh kids concentrate on their lessons? :laughs:
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Nice shot that.
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Cheers Mick. I don't need telephotos for wildlife!
Ben
Father of the Forum
Father of the Forum

Post by Ben »

We have some oyster catchers at work, one lot nests near a bush in the car park and terrorises anyone who parks near them, the other lot nest every year on a mini-roundabout, no greenery at all just on gravel, I think they feel protected from the three chevron signs surrounding it, I feed the roundabout crew every day