Strange nest box behaviour

For the Twitchers amongst us
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Strange nest box behaviour

Post by zodiac »

After being taken over by bees last year, my nest box is getting lots of interest this year. There appears to be a pair of coal t*ts, and a pair of blue t*ts ( I've had blues before) who both seem to think it's their's. Over the last few days I've witnessed all 4 birds fly in with bits of fluff or moss, sometimes a coal t*t is waiting on the blue to come out and vice versa. I've seen a blue t*t flying OUT the box with bits in its mouth but not a coal t*t. 3 or 4 days in, they all appear to regard it as their own nest. Any ideas?
Last edited by zodiac on Sun Apr 12 2020 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
pete webster
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Strange nest box behaviour

Post by pete webster »

zodiac wrote: ↑Sun Apr 12 2020 19:51 -
After being taken over by bees last year, my best box is getting lots of interest this year. There appears to be a pair of coal t*ts, and a pair of blue t*ts ( I've had blues before) who both seem to think it's their's. Over the last few days I've witnessed all 4 birds fly in with bits of fluff or moss, sometimes a coal t*t is waiting on the blue to come out and vice versa. I've seen a blue t*t flying OUT the box with bits in its mouth but not a coal t*t. 3 or 4 days in, they all appear to regard it as their own nest. Any ideas?
As Harry Hill says.
FIGHT.
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

Think they build 2 or 3 nests each and weigh them up later when they are about to put eggs down, expect they both fancy that box so much that they are willing to put the effort in, let us know who comes out on top πŸ‘
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Another bunch of t*ts with no clue about 'social distancing' . . . . . :clown:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have known Blue t*ts incubate as many as 9eggs, as the eggs of a Coal t*t are almost identical to those of a Blue it was impossible to say if there not a mixed clutch.
Red Legged Partridges will lay in the nests of other RLP's so maybe Coals and Blues interact the same way.

Blue t*ts can be very aggressive when protecting their nest so yours are obviously happy with whatever is occurring, for now.

Keep reporting on the developments please, a very interesting subject and your right not to dismiss it.

Thanks for sharing :handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Danoutdoors
Chub
Chub

Post by Danoutdoors »

John Milford wrote: ↑Mon Apr 13 2020 09:51 -
Another bunch of t*ts with no clue about 'social distancing' . . . . . :clown:
🀣🀣🀣
Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

Mike J wrote: ↑Mon Apr 13 2020 10:08 -
I have known Blue t*ts incubate as many as 9eggs, as the eggs of a Coal t*t are almost identical to those of a Blue it was impossible to say if there not a mixed clutch.
Red Legged Partridges will lay in the nests of other RLP's so maybe Coals and Blues interact the same way.

Blue t*ts can be very aggressive when protecting their nest so yours are obviously happy with whatever is occurring, for now.

Keep reporting on the developments please, a very interesting subject and your right not to dismiss it.

Interesting you should say that Mike, only yesterday I found a nest with three Red Leg Partridge eggs and one Pheasant egg, never come across that before.

Will.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Will Smith wrote: ↑Mon Apr 13 2020 11:33 -
Mike J wrote: ↑Mon Apr 13 2020 10:08 -

Interesting you should say that Mike, only yesterday I found a nest with three Red Leg Partridge eggs and one Pheasant egg, never come across that before.

Will.
d

How odd :scratch: and also so coincidental.
It would be natural for us to assume that it was the Red Legged that was cuckooing the pheasant but the single Pheasant egg would indicate the bird had only just started laying as the Red Legs are not known to remove the host birds eggs, just add to them.
The alternative assumption is that the Pheasant was using the Reg Legs nest, something Ive no experience of.
Now you have an interesting subject to study in the coming weeks especially when the host bird starts to sit, wouldn't it be amazing if both birds sat the nest together?

Regular updates please.

:handshake:
'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Thats not going to happen Mike, 2mins after finding the nest one of my dogs brought me the fresh half eaten carcass of a red leg, I am assuming that a raptor or an owl had it by the way it was eaten, had it been a fox or badger there would not have been much left.
I will check the nest and see if the pheasant lays in it again though.

Will.
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Update, not seen the blue t*ts around the box for a couple of days, but they still come to the feeders. The coal t*ts are still hovering about but entering the box with less frequency, certainly nothing has taken up residence yet. Being on lock down my kids are playing in the garden alot, I hope they're not putting off the birds, it'll be a long summer in the house if I have to keep them out the garden to look after my pet coal t*ts.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

That fat f*****g cat next door has done my two nest boxes again. I have a box in the crotch of an old apple tree which always attracts a pair of great t*ts and another blue t*t box further down the garden . Both boxes had birds in and out but the useless fat ball of hair from next door turned the great t*t box upside down and sat on the shed roof swiping at the blue t*ts as they tried to carry nesting material in and once again they've deserted.

God knows why anyone wants a cat as a pet. I wish they would ban people from owning them. They're a menace to wildlife and good for f*** all!
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Chris Hammond wrote: ↑Thu Apr 16 2020 06:46 -
That fat f*****g cat next door has done my two nest boxes again. I have a box in the crotch of an old apple tree which always attracts a pair of great t*ts and another blue t*t box further down the garden . Both boxes had birds in and out but the useless fat ball of hair from next door turned the great t*t box upside down and sat on the shed roof swiping at the blue t*ts as they tried to carry nesting material in and once again they've deserted.

God knows why anyone wants a cat as a pet. I wish they would ban people from owning them. They're a menace to wildlife and good for f*** all!
Why we should have to tolerate other people's cats in our gardens I don't know.If I climbed over next doors fence and shat in their flowerbeds there would rightly be uproar but it's fine for other people's pets to do it in my garden.I used to grow veg until this year and have had the pleasure of accidentally sticking my hand in cat s**t on many occasions .If it became legal that you could shoot any cats in your own garden I'd buy a gun tomorrow
. :shoot:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Cats a a damn nuisance anywhere but around a grain store.
It is well known they kill huge numbers of wild birds and many new developments now have clauses included to restrict cats roaming and sometimes even ownership.

My previous neighbours had a cat, when it shat in my flower border I would fling the mess back onto their lawn and kept doing it until the wife saw me and asked what I was doing, when I told her I just returning her property she didnt speak to me again!
They and their cat have now moved, brilliant I thought, especially when I found the new neighbours have 5 terriers......terrrrrific :laughs:
Then a cat appreared and its theirs and its now sh1tting in the same flower borders!!

There is another cat that used to do the same but I came home and caught it red handed and laid my holly stick across its back, my aim now is to get a stick across this one.

Grrrrr!

Dont leave those eggs to long Will, they make luuuverly omelettes :thumbs:
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

They are already gone Mike, I gave them to the dogs, we have ducks and hens so plenty of lovely free range eggs to go at.
I have checked the nest for the last few day and there is nothing happening.

Will.
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Cats are one nuisance that I have very little bother with, nearest cat owner to me must be 1/2 mile away so, rarely see any.

Will.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Well be have both.....nest boxes for the blue t*ts, which are been used for year on year sucessfully and cats.

The cats have there own indoor & outdoor litter trays which they use, are well fed, are kept in at from dusk till dawn to minimise any predation.

The nest box is mounted on a external wall of the house where the cats can't climb, thus the cats can't get the chicks.
The only animal that has ever tried to rob the next was a magpie.

Mounting a nest box in any garden tree's will always grab the attention of any apex predator, be it a cat, stoat, squirrel etc. If I was to use a tree, I'd ensure that any lower limbs of the tree within 3m of the box are removed and a flight path in/out is maintained without any overhanging branches,

Some good advice can be found on the RSPB website,

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... -bird-box/
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

The female coal t*t moved in to the box today, the male is darting back and forth with food for her, happy days.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

zodiac wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21 2020 19:30 -
The female coal t*t moved in to the box today, the male is darting back and forth with food for her, happy days.

Nice, my usual pair of blue t*ts came back this year and were in and out of the box for quite a few weeks and then were just gone :shrug: :sad:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21 2020 19:41 -

Nice, my usual pair of blue t*ts came back this year and were in and out of the box for quite a few weeks and then were just gone :shrug: :sad:
I thought these had gone too, after a week of nest building they disappeared for a few days, i didnt even see them on the feeders. Then they turned up today ready to nest. So don't discount them yet.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Similar here. Lots of blue t*t activity to two boxes then all quiet apart from some perching on one box. :scratch:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

zodiac wrote: ↑Tue Apr 21 2020 19:46 -

I thought these had gone too, after a week of nest building they disappeared for a few days, i didnt even see them on the feeders. Then they turned up today ready to nest. So don't discount them yet.
I would be very pleased to find them suddenly back again ... especially as the crows have gone !
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

I thought our blue t*ts had dissappeared too from our box, but the female is sitting on a clutch of eggs and male is going in a out about 5/6 times a day with food. Most of the time he is protecting the nest from a higher vantage point :guns:
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

Blimey, only saw the crafty blue t*t popping in and out of the box this afternoon getting food :grin:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Wed May 06 2020 22:20 -

Blimey, only saw the crafty blue t*t popping in and out of the box this afternoon getting food :grin:
Good stuff! I'm getting very paternal over my baby coal t*ts! They've not even hatched and we've picked names for them all..
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I've no idea what's going on with my nest box. There was a blue t*t on it's roof today, but yesterday one flew straight in and didn't leave for ages.

Next door's horrible blue box, with a door painted on the front, has great t*ts feeding young in it.
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

zodiac wrote: ↑Fri May 08 2020 15:16 -
Alex Fox wrote: ↑Wed May 06 2020 22:20 -

Good stuff! I'm getting very paternal over my baby coal t*ts! They've not even hatched and we've picked names for them all..

Haha these are my babies too ... when they come out, i will be on crow and magpie watch !!!
Alex Fox
Zander
Zander

Post by Alex Fox »

davelumb wrote: ↑Fri May 08 2020 16:39 -
I've no idea what's going on with my nest box. There was a blue t*t on it's roof today, but yesterday one flew straight in and didn't leave for ages.

Next door's horrible blue box, with a door painted on the front, has great t*ts feeding young in it.

Sounds like they have a nest in there :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Alex Fox wrote: ↑Fri May 08 2020 17:06 -
davelumb wrote: ↑Fri May 08 2020 16:39 -

Sounds like they have a nest in there :thumbs:
Fingers crossed. :smile:
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

My coal t*ts have hatched! Mum and dad in and out constantly this morning with food. Crows and magpies hovering about like vultures. Is there any way of deterring the crows without scaring away the garden birds?
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Post by zodiac »

I would add that an air rifle isn't feasible.