Frogs and newts

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Frogs and newts

Post by davelumb »

After building up year on year, frog numbers are down in my pond this year. I've only managed to count about 25 (probably a few more hiding), and there's a small amount of spawn so far. A it of a mystery.

On the other hand when netting out duckweed I've found plenty of newtlets about an inch long plus quite a few a bit bigger and a couple of near full grown ones.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Frogs and newts

Post by alan behenna »

As I understand it, both species will/can eat each other at certain stages of growth?

Maybe there's your answer?

:shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

alan behenna wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 18:00 -
As I understand it, both species will/can eat each other at certain stages of growth?

Maybe there's your answer?

:shrug:
I don't know how long frogs live but I'd have thought it's longer than twelve months. There were plenty of froglets last year too. :shrug:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Steve Le maitre »

davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 16:31 -
After building up year on year, frog numbers are down in my pond this year. I've only managed to count about 25 (probably a few more hiding), and there's a small amount of spawn so far. A it of a mystery.

On the other hand when netting out duckweed I've found plenty of newtlets about an inch long plus quite a few a bit bigger and a couple of near full grown ones.
Herons ? :shoot:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Sat Mar 13 2021 22:27 -

Herons ? :shoot:
Not in my pond, but maybe in the field at the back. I haven't seen any though. Plenty of bloody cats though. :mad:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Going back ten years or more, my pond was filled with frogs and toads and their spawn by this time of year. They were a pain, to be honest, because they always mounted my koi carp, with their "hands" in their eye sockets for grip! :eek: As the tadpoles emerged it was quite a task to walk across the garden and avoid treading on baby frogs and toads.

These days though, the fish are long gone (if it wasn't useful for lure testing, I'd fill the pond in) and it's totally barren of frogs and toads. I still get newts, and millions of water boatmen but that's about it for wildlife.

One interesting thing was that my pond had been caked in duckweed for years. However, with no fish to get the ammonia cycle going and blanket weed proliferating, it would seem that the duckweed has been out-competed for what little nutrition there was in the water and has been killed off entirely! :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I have no fish but lots of duckweed. Maybe it'll settle down in a year or two.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

There are a few more frogs than I thought. 35 in this pic so probably a few more hiding or already left. Still more spawn to come too, so that's cheered me up. :smile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan behenna
Barbel
Barbel

Post by alan behenna »

Ah Ha,

Stood down from Panic Stations then.

Looking healthy enough to me.

:laughs:

Brother has total absence of frogs, (or at least none noticed), but welcome presence of Newts.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I guess having had nearly 100 frogs one year made me complacent. I remember when thirty was amazing. :thumbs:
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Absolutely loads of frog spawn in our pond this year,they stopped spawning about a week ago and the first few clumps are starting to hatch.Only spotted a lone male smooth newt so far,hopefully the females will turn up soon.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mattjb wrote: Sun Mar 14 2021 21:04 -
Absolutely loads of frog spawn in our pond this year,they stopped spawning about a week ago and the first few clumps are starting to hatch.Only spotted a lone male smooth newt so far,hopefully the females will turn up soon.
:thumbs:
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

The only problem i have found with frogs in our garden is that its a hell of a pain trying to mow the grass and miss them, especially the baby's. :sad:
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
Mark Phillips
Zander
Zander

Post by Mark Phillips »

Mine are down on last year too Dave. Hard to always spot them all and I don't remember how many were there last year, but definitely looked down in numbers. I spotted a couple dead near the house, where birds had killed them and one splatted by car. Out in the open, they're easy pickings. Anyway, got three big clumps of spawn in the pond... no sign of my Great Crested newts spawning yet. I had six in there last year and they all made it, in fact, I have gained one over winter. They appeared in my pond a couple of years ago, not long after a new housing estate started to be built nearby. I assume they were displaced - I did report it, as I thought they were supposed to check for these things. I wouldn't say they're common, but in and around where I live, most ponds have them, as well as the smaller smooth newts of course.
Piking Plonker
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Time for these! :pipe:

IMG_20210315_115227~2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark Phillips wrote: Mon Mar 15 2021 12:39 -

Mine are down on last year too Dave. Hard to always spot them all and I don't remember how many were there last year, but definitely looked down in numbers. I spotted a couple dead near the house, where birds had killed them and one splatted by car. Out in the open, they're easy pickings. Anyway, got three big clumps of spawn in the pond... no sign of my Great Crested newts spawning yet. I had six in there last year and they all made it, in fact, I have gained one over winter. They appeared in my pond a couple of years ago, not long after a new housing estate started to be built nearby. I assume they were displaced - I did report it, as I thought they were supposed to check for these things. I wouldn't say they're common, but in and around where I live, most ponds have them, as well as the smaller smooth newts of course.
There's a housing estate near me which had to have a pond dug specifically for the great crested newts which were on the site. Sadly it's in a state of neglect now, although I think the newts still breed there.

One of my frogs today. :smile:

Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

I think all the frogs are in Devon, spent a few hours either side of darkness fishing for Roach today on the canal ... As it got dark the frogs chorus got louder, shining a headtorch up n down all you could see was swimming frogs breaking the surface...
Even pulled out a few small roach for my time there ... Not the one I was after though.
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

we're in the end times
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Cool shots Dave, tempting me to go on the hunt at the weekend, I've never photographed a frog!
lochhopper
Roach
Roach

Post by lochhopper »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 20:15 -

I think you need to give them sunglasses first before blasting them on full power like that :grin: