Preds

For the Twitchers amongst us
Kev Berry

Preds

Post by Kev Berry »

Out for a walk with the dogs and Shirley the other day. Went down one of our favourite ones where we usually see a buzzard or two.
We been noticing the steady disapearance of the local bright eyes population. We had found a few patches of rabbit fur now and then so was obvious what was happening.
Shirley spots a buzzard so we both staring up....and suddenly theres 2 then another 2, and they start going through their courtship flights and grabbing each others claws and tumbling down.
A single male turns up and is soon shown the door and they drift off out of sight.
Then a red kite turns up. He/she has been in the surrounding area since last year but still no mate seen.
Walking back i here a strange gutteral croaking....then i see it, first raven ive seen round here since i was a nipper. Flew out of the tree straight over Shirleys head scared her to death.
No wonder the bunnies are scarce this year :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Preds

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Post by Mike F »

We literally have loads of Buzzards around the west Suffolk area now, more than I've ever known. Its rare not to see them.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
peteren
Barbel
Barbel

Post by peteren »

Lots of buzzards in Kent now too - only in west until last 20 years. Occasional kites.
Peter Newman
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Why though has there been a massive increase in buzzard populations in the last 15 to 20 years? What changed.
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

i read somewhere that the rabbits are being wiped out by some sort of virus (not covid) started up in scotland and made its way south i used to see lots of road kill rabbits on the way to newark from nottm nearly always a buzzard doing the undertaking duties but in the past few years you dont see the dead rabbits anymore
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mako234 wrote: Sat Mar 20 2021 22:33 -
i read somewhere that the rabbits are being wiped out by some sort of virus (not covid) started up in scotland and made its way south i used to see lots of road kill rabbits on the way to newark from nottm nearly always a buzzard doing the undertaking duties but in the past few years you dont see the dead rabbits anymore
Rabbits dying of a virus ....from China. Unlike myxi this wipes the lot out

Buzzards are multiplying because of various agricultural chemicals no longer being used and less persecution from the shoot anything with a hooked beak or claws brigade.
Lots more field voles around again down to withdrawal of certain agri chems.....buzzards main prey apparently.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

Raptor persecution stopped largely in the 70s....yes a bit still goes on allegedly but it was in the 90s that buzzards started to be spotted above the midlands then almost everywhere just got a massive influx of them...there must be something else.
Red Kites brought from Spain and released at Harewood in the 80s are " branching iout" but nowhere as widespread or numbers wise as Buzzards.
JohnCopeman
Perch
Perch

Post by JohnCopeman »

The hemorraging ( spelling?????) diesease sorting rabbits out is terrible...apparently it isn't just transferred to rabbits either. Reportedly cats can pick it up. When you find one- rabbit, they look perfectly healthy but feel just like a bag of water.
They always say buzzards main diet are earthworms and carrion but those big yellow feet aren't for perching on five bar gates are they.
Mainly opportunists but I have seen them take half grown hares and one even had a go at a heron down a dyke bank.
I don't think the decline in grey partridge and the explosion of buzzards is a coincidence.
Buzzards may not be an aggressive predator of ground nesting birds but the constant threat in the sky and harras won't make a covey feel too safe sat out on an open stubble.
The decline of wild Grey's is worrying. More is done now for them, beetle banks, long stubble and stewardship - the habitat is better tha ever....better than the 70s when there were still big wild coveys and that was when " iffy" pesticides were still being used and stubble were ripped up as soon as harvest was over.