Forum Sponsor

Peregrine nest cam time again

Post by davelumb »

Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Re: Peregrine nest cam time again

Post by Will Smith »

I know they nest on exposed cliffs etc when there are no suitable building ledges at hand :laughs: , but that is an extremely exposed nest site Dave, I almost feel sorry for them and the young'uns when they eventually make an appearance.

Will
Last edited by Will Smith on Tue Mar 16 2021 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Will Smith wrote: Mon Mar 15 2021 23:18 -
I know they nest on exposed cliffs etc when there are no suitable building ledges at hand :laughs: , but that is an extremely exposed nest site Dave, I almost feel sorry for them and the young's when they eventually make an appearance.

Will
I've watched them for a few years and it gets a bit dodgy once they start running up and down the ledge at the side! They seem to be pretty successful though. :thumbs:
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

a few of the chicks have fell off ! they are checked out to make sure theres no injury then took back in the adams building and put through the window back into the nest
Will Smith

Post by Will Smith »

Mako234 wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 00:13 -
a few of the chicks have fell off ! they are checked out to make sure theres no injury then took back in the adams building and put through the window back into the nest
Well they would not be extended that curtesy in the wild, good to know.

Will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mako234 wrote: Tue Mar 16 2021 00:13 -
I'm not surprised they fall off the way they bounce along!
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

About 30 years ago,there was perigrins nesting on a building in Liverpool,plenty of docker pigeons for food ,certainly put the fear of god up them,a friend of mine had a breading pair of perigrin falcons,eggs every year but no chicks,he had eagle owls as we’ll,around breading time sounded like people screaming all night ,funny enough could get to sleep fine despite the noise :smile: ,mike
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

adams building peregrine female found dead she laid 2 eggs then vanished her body has been found and identified thats bad news but the good news is another female has already moved on to the nesting ledge had a few scuffles with archie the resident male but things seem to be settling down and the 2021 season may not be lost after all
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mako234 wrote: Fri Mar 26 2021 10:44 -
adams building peregrine female found dead she laid 2 eggs then vanished her body has been found and identified thats bad news but the good news is another female has already moved on to the nesting ledge had a few scuffles with archie the resident male but things seem to be settling down and the 2021 season may not be lost after all
:thumbs:
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Sitting on eggs in Sheffield too. Two webcam views, one of the perch outside of the box, and one showing the inside.

https://peregrine.group.shef.ac.uk/
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

nottm trent uni falcon hatches ist egg theres only been 2 eggs laid owing to the female bird dying leaving just the male to incubate the eggs but 1 has hatched out and been fed so maybe it wont be a lost season after all
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mako234 wrote: Mon May 10 2021 18:52 -
nottm trent uni falcon hatches ist egg theres only been 2 eggs laid owing to the female bird dying leaving just the male to incubate the eggs but 1 has hatched out and been fed so maybe it wont be a lost season after all
:thumbs:
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

something strange going on in the nest of the notts trent uni falcon original female laid 2 eggs then was found dead positive identification by wildlife trust male started to incubate the 2 eggs another female arrives at the nest and the sitting male chases her off i then saw on local news that 1 egg has hatched so logged in to have a look at the chick and there is 1 chick and 3 eggs in the nest so male must have paired up with new female either hes a fast worker or shes a typiucal notts lass
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mako234 wrote: Wed May 12 2021 10:19 -
something strange going on in the nest of the notts trent uni falcon original female laid 2 eggs then was found dead positive identification by wildlife trust male started to incubate the 2 eggs another female arrives at the nest and the sitting male chases her off i then saw on local news that 1 egg has hatched so logged in to have a look at the chick and there is 1 chick and 3 eggs in the nest so male must have paired up with new female either hes a fast worker or shes a typiucal notts lass
:giggle:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I see there's a chick at Nottingham that's reached the running along the ledge flapping awkwardly stage!
Mako234
Roach
Roach

Post by Mako234 »

the new female is from charing cross her parents are known as the parliament pair its belived that she was trying to claim the area and the resident female flew into a building or window breaking her neck whilst defending her home the male is also from the parliament nest and is thought to be her uncle so both notts falcons are cockneys