Post by davelumb »

I expect this should have been in the shooting section. :laughs:

MIssed!

Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Wood pigeons

Post by Steve Le maitre »

Absolute verminous creatures, akin to sky rats. About 20% of seed that goes into the ground is lost to them.
The Pigeons you see on the roads first thing in the morning are not trying to get run over, or pinch Council grit but are filling there crop with grit, grit to grind and digest my freshly planted grass seed :guns:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Tue Apr 27 2021 22:17 -
Absolute verminous creatures, akin to sky rats. About 20% of seed that goes into the ground is lost to them.
The Pigeons you see on the roads first thing in the morning are not trying to get run over, or pinch Council grit but are filling there crop with grit, grit to grind and digest my freshly planted grass seed :guns:
:boing:

That field had been drilled a couple of days ago. They did get some pigeons. :thumbs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

The loss of 20% of seed was an old country theory that was proved untrue by the invention of the corn drill. Formally seed was spread with a fiddle or cast by hand and pigeons picked up the seed that was not buried.

Dave, those pigeons on the ground are made of plastic (not wood) but the faller in the second pic isn't :grin:
Brings back memories those pics, thank you :thumbs:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Wed Apr 28 2021 09:23 -

The loss of 20% of seed was an old country theory that was proved untrue by the invention of the corn drill. Formally seed was spread with a fiddle or cast by hand and pigeons picked up the seed that was not buried.

Dave, those pigeons on the ground are made of plastic (not wood) but the faller in the second pic isn't :grin:
Brings back memories those pics, thank you :thumbs:

The ones on the ground looked a bit 'thin' too!

I saw a black lab pick one feathered on up, and there were feathers on the ground where the guns had been when I passed by again after they'd packed up. I reckon the three blokes had an enjoyable afternoon. :grin:
Paddy_R
Chub
Chub

Post by Paddy_R »

Used to do a bit of that for farmers. Serious sport on a good day - they come in fast and sometimes you just can't keep up.

The decoys work well. You can set them up in a V shape and the birds generally funnel into the 'opening'. Had a hawk come in and try and pinch one one time.
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

If they hadn’t of invented the drill Mike the loss would have been nearer 100%, think of it this way if the Pigeons aren’t eating anything then why are they there.
D10bore
Roach
Roach

Post by D10bore »

I’ve had them with 30 plus acorns in their crops,some times wonder how they fly with the weight of them
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

D10bore wrote: Wed Apr 28 2021 16:44 -
I’ve had them with 30 plus acorns in their crops,some times wonder how they fly with the weight of them
I've seen one in my garden with a full crop still trying to get more in. So much so the acorns were spilling out. Greedy feckers they are.
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Wed Apr 28 2021 16:28 -
If they hadn’t of invented the drill Mike the loss would have been nearer 100%, think of it this way if the Pigeons aren’t eating anything then why are they there.
First I never said the bird were not eating anything.

The most obvious answer why they there is to feed on whatever was available, and the assumption is it could be spilled seed.
But there are other answers, that the birds are feeding on similar fields and the decoy set-up is sufficient to draw them close enough to shoot. Note the bird in the second photograph is well up and not in over the spread, the absence of scattered feathers on the field and the lack of dead birds set-up as decoys.

If they are they eating, what is it?
To answer we must know when the field was drilled and what the crop is.
If it was drilled recently we should note the field is scattered with dried stalks from last years crop thise could easily cause some seed to be spilled outside the drill, if the field was drilled a few weeks previously, and it a maize or pea crop the birds could be picking off the emerging plant tips.
Another answer could be feed spread by the shooter (yes it happens).

Before the corn drill was invented the seed was harrowed in. If losses were near 100% corn production wouldn't have been viable.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Thu Apr 29 2021 09:30 -

The most obvious answer why they there is to feed on whatever was available and the assumption is it could be spilled seed.
But there are other answers, that rhe birds are feeding on similar fields and the decoy set-up is suffiecent to draw them close enough to shoot, note the bird in the second photograph is well up and not in over the spread, the absence of scattered feathers on the field and the lack of dead birds set-up as decoys.

You ask what are they eating?
To answer we must know when it was drilled and what the crop is.
If it was drilled recently we should note the field is scattered with dried stalks from last years crop thise could easily cause some seed to be spilled outside the drill, if the field was drilled a few weeks previously, and it a maize or pea crop the birds could be picking off the emerging plant tips.

Before the corn drill was invented the seed was harrowed in. If losses were near 100% corn production wouldn't have been viable.

Drilled and rolled on the 24th. Previously it was maize.
_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

davelumb wrote: Thu Apr 29 2021 09:35 -

The most obvious answer why they there is to feed on whatever was available and the assumption is it could be spilled seed.
But there are other answers, that rhe birds are feeding on similar fields and the decoy set-up is suffiecent to draw them close enough to shoot, note the bird in the second photograph is well up and not in over the spread, the absence of scattered feathers on the field and the lack of dead birds set-up as decoys.

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
From the colour off the bags and variety,I'm pretty sure its maize seed Dave.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Best meat going ... But September sport when they are carrying a layer of butter milk fat on the flanks is the time to stock a freezer.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Rob1980 wrote: Thu Apr 29 2021 21:04 -

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
That'll be three years on the trot then.
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

davelumb wrote: Thu Apr 29 2021 22:28 -

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
You can keep growing maize year after year on the same field,some other crops you can only grow for a limited number of years until you start having problems.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Rob1980 wrote: Fri Apr 30 2021 05:46 -

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
You can keep growing maize year after year on the same field,some other crops you can only grow for a limited number of years until you start having problems.
Ta. :thumbs:
Steve Le maitre
Barbel
Barbel

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
Yes black grass is one of those problems you refer to, Maize gets going quickly and so starves out any weed problems. You might get some weeds but nothing to cause an issue.
Rob1980
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by Rob1980 »

Steve Le maitre wrote: Fri Apr 30 2021 07:30 -

_7518302.jpg
_7518431.jpg
Yes black grass is one of those problems you refer to, Maize gets going quickly and so starves out any weed problems. You might get some weeds but nothing to cause an issue.
:thumbs:
Brian Springthorpe
Charity Fundraiser
Charity Fundraiser

Post by Brian Springthorpe »

Was out decoying the other day, some prat who dislikes shooting decided to cross the field and try and shooo my decoys away from the danger , made my day, what a pillock
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Brian Springthorpe wrote: Wed May 05 2021 06:29 -
Was out decoying the other day, some prat who dislikes shooting decided to cross the field and try and shooo my decoys away from the danger , made my day, what a pillock
:laughs:
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

good day pigeon shooting 001.jpg
pigeon shoot finn 001.jpg
angelsea carp 047.JPG
you cant beat a spot of pigeon shooting ,not done any due to the lockdown , love working the dog ..... better than shooting really
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.