St. Mark's flies

For the Twitchers amongst us
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

St. Mark's flies

Post by John Milford »

. . . . . or 'Hawthorn' flies as they're more commonly known.

The field hedgerows around my way are teeming with thousands of them!

I know they're not uncommon, but I've never seen quite so many of the dangly-legged little critters as I have this year.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: St. Mark's flies

Post by davelumb »

You are further south than me. but not so many round here yet.
Monts
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Monts »

They have been coming off the river these last two weeks John, Trout were having a gorge last Saturday.
If you wanna go fishing go fishing.- John Gierach
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Mon May 17 2021 20:01 -
They missed St. Mark's day (25th April) here Dave. They've only been around in big numbers for about a week.
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Mon May 17 2021 23:37 -
They missed St. Mark's day (25th April) here Dave. They've only been around in big numbers for about a week.
I started seeing odd ones last week when the sun came out. They do seem to like the sunshine. Is the hawthorn out down your way? Still patchy up here.
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

davelumb wrote: Tue May 18 2021 08:06 -
I started seeing odd ones last week when the sun came out. They do seem to like the sunshine. Is the hawthorn out down your way? Still patchy up here.
Everything seems to have really taken off over the last week 'down' here Dave - quite noticeably greener everywhere.

When I used to do a lot of daily travelling north and south through work, it was often quite surprising what a difference 50 miles made in either direction with regards to the seasons. It was especially noticeable at spring time.
Jason Skilton
Zander
Zander

Post by Jason Skilton »

Bloody thousands of them here in Suffolk!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Tue May 18 2021 09:43 -
davelumb wrote: Tue May 18 2021 08:06 -
Everything seems to have really taken off over the last week 'down' here Dave - quite noticeably greener everywhere.

When I used to do a lot of daily travelling north and south through work, it was often quite surprising what a difference 50 miles made in either direction with regards to the seasons. It was especially noticeable at spring time.
I noticed the same when I had my tench head on and spent my springs 'commuting' between here and the East Midlands. It was usually about two weeks ahead in the 'south'. Later in teh year when I was travelling that way for barbel autumn and winter were two weeks ahead up north!