Mull

For the Twitchers amongst us
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Mull

Post by Chris Hammond »

Halfway through a week's holiday on the Isle Of Mull and the bird species count is up to 60. Should add another half dozen at least tomorrow on a trip to another group of islands.

Hilight so far for me is an hour or so spent watching a pair of Golden Eagles at the nest
Fantastic views in glorious sunshine of a bird I've dreamed about seeing for years!

Best of all that pr1ck Packham is nowhere to be seen! ๐Ÿ™‚

I've not really bothered with taking pics but if the weather holds out tomorrow I'm hoping to get some nice snaps of the Puffins. ๐Ÿ™
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Bob Watson
Zander
Zander

Re: Mull

Post by Bob Watson »

The best pics are memories in your head Chris :thumbs:

Myself and a mate did part of the West coast mainland Scotland on the motorbikes a couple of years ago. We got the ferry to Skye, which was stunning but the lad I was with had been to Mull the year before and he said there was no comparison. I intend visiting soon!

If you return south via the A1 or A19, I'm 10 minutes from both :thumbs:
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

60 species ... I doubt I could do that in a year Chris locally, we have seen some serious declines on what use to be common place, lapwings notable by there absence...use to see 100's at a time even skylarks are found less and less, unfortunately the declines are measured in high percentages on so many ...
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Bob Watson wrote: โ†‘Mon May 17 2021 23:05 -
The best pics are memories in your head Chris :thumbs:

Myself and a mate did part of the West coast mainland Scotland on the motorbikes a couple of years ago. We got the ferry to Skye, which was stunning but the lad I was with had been to Mull the year before and he said there was no comparison. I intend visiting soon!

If you return south via the A1 or A19, I'm 10 minutes from both :thumbs:
It is easily the best scenery i've seen Bob. And the wildlife and wildflowers are incredible! We had a day over on trhe Treshnish Isles and couldn't have caught it in better weather. There were literally hundreds of thousands of sea birds on the cliff tops. There were hundreds of puffins and they are happy to let you get within a few feet. apparently they know that when the humans are nearby the Great Skuas keep away.

I've got hundreds of pics to go through. The photography couldnt have been easier! :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Stewlaws wrote: โ†‘Sat May 22 2021 20:29 -
60 species ... I doubt I could do that in a year Chris locally, we have seen some serious declines on what use to be common place, lapwings notable by there absence...use to see 100's at a time even skylarks are found less and less, unfortunately the declines are measured in high percentages on so many ...
We ended up seeing 79 species in total Stew. :thumbs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

That's a phenomenal number Chris .. I think moments like these kind of reset ourselves, we don't always stop and look around because we are always troubling about the next thing on our list ...
I'm sure you took it all in and more !
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Wow, 79 species that is simply amazing Chris.

Your description and enthusiasm for the region will have me searching for accomodation when I log off.

Many thanks for the post :handshake:

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Mike J wrote: โ†‘Sun May 23 2021 09:45 -
Wow, 79 species that is simply amazing Chris.

Your description and enthusiasm for the region will have me searching for accomodation when I log off.

Many thanks for the post :handshake:

It's an incredible place Mike! Accommodation is limited so you might have to book very early but some of the seascapes the rental properties look out over are mind blowing!

We saw Sea Eagles working over lochs, the Golden Eagles over the mountain sides and a pair of Hen Harriers working over lower lying moorland. Good close up views! The diversity of terrain is astonishing. I fell in love with the place. ๐Ÿ™‚
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Scotland is a place that never fails to impress come to that Wales is a close 2nd ...