Ox eye daisy (other flowers added)

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Ox eye daisy (other flowers added)

Post by davelumb »

I've fancied trying this kind of thing in the style of the Meet Your Neighbours project for a while. First attempt and it's pretty simple with the right gear. I'm sure I can improve with practice.

Last edited by davelumb on Mon Jun 14 2021 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Re: Ox eye daisy

Post by chrisG »

Nice and clean.
Is that in camera Dave or much processing?
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 14:27 -
Nice and clean.
Is that in camera Dave or much processing?
Pretty much in camera. :grin:
_7500873.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Cool.
I have a similar, but opposite, plan with a black lilly Iris falling off into blackness behind.
I would have tried it last year but for some reason ours only flower every 2 or 3 years - I'm keeping an eye on them, I'm not sure what the missus will say if I lob one off in its prime though!
Last edited by chrisG on Mon Jun 14 2021 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 14:34 -
Cool.
I have a similar, but opposite, plan with a black lilly falling off into blackness behind.
I would have tried it last year but for some reason ours only flower every 2 or 3 years - I'm keeping an eye on them, I'm not sure what the missus will say if I lob one off in its prime though!
:laughs:
Good luck. Black backgrounds are a bit harder to achieve than white.

I only have 'weeds' in my garden. :wink:

I should be working but this is more fun...Image
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Ox eye daisy (other flowers added)

Post by davelumb »

Reprocessed 16/6/21
Last edited by davelumb on Wed Jun 16 2021 08:47, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Very nice Mr Lumb
Regards
Tom
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Thanks Tom
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I got bored with the white backgrounds so I've gone to the other extreme.

Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Think both have merit Dave ... Prefer the darker background though . Nice subject
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 13:30 -
Think both have merit Dave ... Prefer the darker background though . Nice subject
The change of background alters the feel of the pictures quite a bit. Depends what mood I'm in which I prefer.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

Love that white background Dave. It's a bugger to expose for!

I was about to say, "it's a white weed" cos I can remember you labelling my Knapweed shot as purple weed. :grin:

...off to check through mine now.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Mon Jun 14 2021 22:52 -

Reprocessed 16/6/21
This one would make a ncracking design for wrapping paper/wallpaper/curtains etc.
I don't care who your dad is , you're not walking across the river when I'm fishing!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 17:54 -

I was about to say, "it's a white weed" cos I can remember you labelling my Knapweed shot as purple weed. :grin:

LOL

I only have weeds in my garden!

Using a softbox (or some white translucent sheet with a flash behind it) as the background makes the exposure pretty simple to work out. Much easier than lighting a white background from the front.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:02 -

LOL

Using a softbox (or some white translucent sheet with a flash behind it) as the background makes the exposure pretty simple to work out. Much easier than lighting a white background from the front.
Interesting.

A bit random I know but I've always fancied having a go at one of those photographs of a flower reflected in a single drop of water. I'd be really impressed with that! I think a bit of glycerine might help with stabilizing the watre droplet. Makes for a striking image! I'll see if I can find an example.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:09 -

LOL

Interesting.

A bit random I know but I've always fancied having a go at one of those photographs of a flower reflected in a single drop of water. I'd be really impressed with that! I think a bit of glycerine might help with stabilizing the watre droplet. Makes for a striking image! I'll see if I can find an example.
I know the kind of thing you mean, Chris. I think that would stretch my abilities - and patience! :dizzy:

This is my set up for the white background shots, unlit and lit.
_7510969.jpg
_7510965.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:12 -

LOL

Interesting.

I know the kind of thing you mean, Chris. I think that would stretch my abilities - and patience! :dizzy:

_7510969.jpg

_7510965.jpg
Nice Dave. I'd like to have a go at some studio stuff one of these days.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:15 -

LOL

Interesting.

_7510969.jpg

_7510965.jpg
Be warned, it's a rabbit hole of 'one more bit of kit'! Stands, modifiers, reflectors, clamps, lights... Today I've been looking at white perspex sheet to do some back lit shots of stuff that can't be held in a clamp and a macro lens to replace the two I sold because I had no use for them. :laughs:

One thing's for sure though, it's easier to learn by doing it than watching tutorials on YouTube. The instant feedback of digital makes a big difference to the learning process too.
Chris Hammond
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Chris Hammond »

davelumb wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:20 -
Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:15 -

LOL

Interesting.

_7510969.jpg

_7510965.jpg
Be warned, it's a rabbit hole of 'one more bit of kit'! Stands, modifiers, reflectors, clamps, lights... Today I've been looking at white perspex sheet to do some back lit shots of stuff that can't be held in a clamp and a macro lens to replace the two I sold because I had no use for them. :laughs:

One thing's for sure though, it's easier to learn by doing it than watching tutorials on YouTube. The instant feedback of digital makes a big difference to the learning process too.
I dont think the newer generation of togs appreciate just how much easier digital has made photography. How many sheckles have I squandered on experimentive exposed film when trying to get a particular shot! On top of trashing expenive film it was doubly difficult to learn from anything unless you made scrupulous notes, and like with fishing records I just couldnt be asked to keep it up. Photography is all but bombproof nowadays. It must be some task to make it pay a wage!
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Chris Hammond wrote: Wed Jun 23 2021 18:30 -
I dont think the newer generation of togs appreciate just how much easier digital has made photography. How many sheckles have I squandered on experimentive exposed film when trying to get a particular shot! On top of trashing expenive film it was doubly difficult to learn from anything unless you made scrupulous notes, and like with fishing records I just couldnt be asked to keep it up. Photography is all but bombproof nowadays. It must be some task to make it pay a wage!
All true. I never made any notes of how I took photos. If it wasn't for EXIF data I'd still not have a clue what settings I used!

As you say, making a living from photography must be a lot harder today. I guess that's why so many to tuition and experience days.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Will Smith
James Holgate Award Winner 2023
James Holgate Award Winner 2023

Post by Will Smith »

I must admit I do prefer the dark background to the white Dave.

Will.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Will Smith wrote: Fri Jul 02 2021 12:01 -
I must admit I do prefer the dark background to the white Dave.

Will.
I'm veering that way too, although I think it depends on the flower to some degree.
bryan m
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by bryan m »

The black backgrounds are my preferred shots.
I built my other half a photography studio at the bottom of the garden last year and bought her a three flashlight system so she can take photos of whatever she likes down there. Unfortunately I had to convert part of the studio into an office for here due her works asking employees to work remotely, due to covid, so I,m only just finishing the remodelling so she can do both.
I actually have a couple of photography projects I want to try in there once its finished and one is similar to yours matey.
Keep up the good work....
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

bryan m wrote: Thu Jul 08 2021 20:26 -
The black backgrounds are my preferred shots.
I built my other half a photography studio at the bottom of the garden last year and bought her a three flashlight system so she can take photos of whatever she likes down there. Unfortunately I had to convert part of the studio into an office for here due her works asking employees to work remotely, due to covid, so I,m only just finishing the remodelling so she can do both.
I actually have a couple of photography projects I want to try in there once its finished and one is similar to yours matey.
Keep up the good work....
Cheers. The black backgrounds seem to be most popular and I must admit I'm preferring them myself. They're also easier to do! Wishing I'd started these earlier when there were other flowers in bloom.

I've got loads of thistles and the greater willowherb is coming into flower so that'll be next.

(There's an earwig in this first one - just for Grant! :giggle: )

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »