4 out of 5....

For the Twitchers amongst us
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Re: 4 out of 5....

Post by Mark_Houghton »

chrisG wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 18:43 -
Little owls are the easiest to find round here! I know of 2 definite sites within 10 minutes of home and another 3 a little further afield.

I'd assume tawny's are the most numerous but their nocturnal habits make them more difficult.
I`d say so Chris. Tawnys aren`t hard to roughly locate when theyre being vocal, and are quite widespread up here, although actually seeing them is more difficult. My mate came across 2 by accident while checking patches of woodland for badger setts last summer. One was right under his nose pretty much before it took off and he didnt spot it until it flew....masters of camouflage :thumbs:
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 18:52 -
Little owls are the easiest to find round here! I know of 2 definite sites within 10 minutes of home and another 3 a little further afield.

I'd assume tawny's are the most numerous but their nocturnal habits make them more difficult.
I`d say so Chris. Tawnys aren`t hard to roughly locate when theyre being vocal, and are quite widespread up here, although actually seeing them is more difficult. My mate came across 2 by accident while checking patches of woodland for badger setts last summer. One was right under his nose pretty much before it took off and he didnt spot it until it flew....masters of camouflage :thumbs:
There's a reliable nesting pair by one of the lakes I fish, we see the young fluffies branching each year (I've posted a pic on here I'm sure) but never seen the parents!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

chrisG wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 19:03 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 18:52 -

There's a reliable nesting pair by one of the lakes I fish, we see the young fluffies branching each year (I've posted a pic on here I'm sure) but never seen the parents!
When i was a kid into birdwatching, before i started fishing, my old man and myself got a call from a park warden friend who told us about a group of fledgling tawnys which were near a path in the local dene. He had to take us down to see them as they`d had to close off the path due to the parents attacking anyone walking nearby :grin: :grin: