4 out of 5....

For the Twitchers amongst us
chrisG
Perch
Perch

4 out of 5....

Post by chrisG »

This weekend I ticked off another UK owl species photographed in the last year with the elusive Long Eared Owl. They are currently beating me at hide and seek, but I got this shot through the thick stuff yesterday, atleast as a record! I will go back for hopefully a better shot, as I did today but couldnt find them!

So thats Little Owl, Barny, Tawny and Long eared, leaving just short eared owls to go (Yorkshire/Peak District locations by PM would be gratefully recieved!)
Some of these I''ve posted before, but heres the 4 out of 5 in one post! Hopefully I can add a SEO soon.

LEO Hidden
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Little owl gate
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Barn owl 2
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Tawny2
by Chris Gash, on Flickr
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: 4 out of 5....

Post by davelumb »

:thumbs:

I've never seen a long eared owl. Seen shorties locally and on the moors, and one nearly flew into me when I was fishing a drain in the east!

What about the eagle owl? :grin:
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Yeh I know, eagle owls, but of disputed origin. Here naturally from the continent or escapee captive birds? Either way they're here and breeding now, so yes I'd like to see them... Don't be adding snowy owls to the list though!
piker al
Barbel
Barbel

Post by piker al »

Some nice pics there Chris, I’ve never seen a long eared owl but I’ve seen short eared on the Langholm moors which is just over the Scottish border, good place to see hen harriers too and there’s been Golden Eagles seen occasionally
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Sun Jan 09 2022 14:06 -
Yeh I know, eagle owls, but of disputed origin. Here naturally from the continent or escapee captive birds? Either way they're here and breeding now, so yes I'd like to see them... Don't be adding snowy owls to the list though!
I thought about mentioning snowy owls!

Wherever they've come from those eagle owls sound like angry birds! :afraid:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Sun Jan 09 2022 17:58 -

The gamekeepers reckon they nail the grouse...big surprise when their pellets were examined...apparantly buzzards are on their favourite nosh list
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Jan 09 2022 20:09 -

The gamekeepers reckon they nail the grouse...big surprise when their pellets were examined...apparantly buzzards are on their favourite nosh list
I thought they lived on Jack Russells! :smile:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

davelumb wrote: Sun Jan 09 2022 20:11 -

I thought they lived on Jack Russells! :smile:
When I lived near Boston a small T cup yorky was taken by a large bop about 3/4 of a mile down the bank from me, the owner didnt know what it was as it disapeared into the distance with the unlucky mutt dangling from its talons.
I had seen a large falcon hanging about at this time but always too far off to identify properly...bigger than a peregrine so possibly a gyr falcon got lost/escaped.
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Gamekeeper's reckon everything that moves eats Grouse!🤣
dave-newman
Chub
Chub

Post by dave-newman »

very nice.....
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

LEO is still in hiding this morning.... I dont even need him to move far!

LEO2
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

LEO1
by Chris Gash, on Flickr
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Well done Chris, nice images mate.
Mick.
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

I haven't used the camera for months, but finding a local family (well 2 so far) of little owls prompted me to charge the batteries and get out. So I thought I'd resurrect my owl thread with an update too.... He was even kind enough to give me a variety of backgrounds - i kind oif like the barbed wire/danger ones for something a little different.

Branch owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Barbed owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Scowl owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Post owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Hut owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Danger owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr
Brian Carragher
Perch
Perch

Post by Brian Carragher »

The most common owl in the country is reckoned to be the teat

Nice pics
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

chrisG wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 12:28 -
I haven't used the camera for months, but finding a local family (well 2 so far) of little owls prompted me to charge the batteries and get out. So I thought I'd resurrect my owl thread with an update too.... He was even kind enough to give me a variety of backgrounds - i kind oif like the barbed wire/danger ones for something a little different.

Branch owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Barbed owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Scowl owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Post owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Hut owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr

Danger owl
by Chris Gash, on Flickr
:thumbs:

I love the way Little Owls seem to stare at you!
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

:thumbs: great photos.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
gary j stockton
Roach
Roach

Post by gary j stockton »

A pair of long eared ows lived in a fir tree in next doors garden, they appeared on a branch at dusk and when taking off would fly just pass my bedroom window, absolutly wonderfull, spoilt rotten i was, unfortunately tree had to come down as it grew too big and the owls left.
Freako
Chub
Chub

Post by Freako »

Well done Chris, great workmate.
Mick.
stubbojo
Zander
Zander

Post by stubbojo »

Brian Carragher wrote: Sun Aug 06 2023 13:41 -
The most common owl in the country is reckoned to be the teat

Nice pics
would that be the teatowl by any chance :thumbs:
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Finally pointed my camera at a pair of short eared owls at the weekend. No usable photos yet, but that sort of makes it 5/5! (Had a good days fishing too)
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

chrisG wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 17:20 -
Finally pointed my camera at a pair of short eared owls at the weekend. No usable photos yet, but that sort of makes it 5/5! (Had a good days fishing too)
We`ve missed the SEOs this winter, always showing the day before we go, or the day after. Doesnt help when the poor birds are harassed by groups of up to 30 people whenever they turn up. They dont seem to settle in one area as a result and have been hard to pin down. Years back they`d hit an area and stay put all winter - you could set your watch by their appearance.
Was out this afternoon checking a local little owl site and got a reply to a territorial call playback, so although we didnt see the bird in question, we know theres at least one present so far. Can`t recall ever seeing one in the flesh so looking forward to seeing how things go this spring.
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

This is a pair in a completely new location, as far as I'm aware, Mark. So no crowds! I was put onto them after a dog walker friend spotted them but didn't know what they were.

Good luck with the little fellas, great characters.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

chrisG wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 23:40 -
This is a pair in a completely new location, as far as I'm aware, Mark. So no crowds! I was put onto them after a dog walker friend spotted them but didn't know what they were.

The perfect situation mate, hope you get the shots youre after :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I`ll be happy just being able to observe the little owls if all goes to plan. Any photos will be a bonus :smile:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

They're lovely birds. Good luck getting some shots.
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 22:39 -
We`ve missed the SEOs this winter, always showing the day before we go, or the day after. Doesnt help when the poor birds are harassed by groups of up to 30 people whenever they turn up. They dont seem to settle in one area as a result and have been hard to pin down. Years back they`d hit an area and stay put all winter - you could set your watch by their appearance.
Was out this afternoon checking a local little owl site and got a reply to a territorial call playback, so although we didnt see the bird in question, we know theres at least one present so far. Can`t recall ever seeing one in the flesh so looking forward to seeing how things go this spring.
Back in 2012 there was a congregation of easily accessible SEOs near me for a while. I went for a look and they were great to watch, but the antics of the assembled snappers were more my kind of thing by then.
DSC_3054.jpg
These two almost fell over each other when one flew behind them!
DSC_3122.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 23:57 -

The perfect situation mate, hope you get the shots youre after :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I`ll be happy just being able to observe the little owls if all goes to plan. Any photos will be a bonus :smile:

Remember a talk by Jemima Parry Jones on the little Owl, there was talk that as an insect eating bird, they would emerge as a species highly likely to succeed to populate in huge numbers across the UK, (this was in 1990's) we would see little Owls on top of lamp posts/Telegraph posts along roads in big numbers, then the population crashed and we never see them anymore.

Can only think the lack of insects or invertebrates has played its role.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 10:05 -
Back in 2012 there was a congregation of easily accessible SEOs near me for a while. I went for a look and they were great to watch, but the antics of the assembled snappers were more my kind of thing by then.
DSC_3054.jpg

DSC_3122.jpg
I remember those from your blog :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Up until last summer there was a pretty well known little owl site at one of the farms along the coast a bit further north from me. The owls nested in an old barn with access through one of the side walls. The farmer got so fed up with twitchers/photographers constantly trespassing and blocking vehicle access, that he blocked the entry points up in the barn after the young owls had fledged, and the owls subsequently moved on. We only found out about it recently, but given the situation we`d probably have stayed away anyway so as not to add to the farmers grief.
Up here, the twitchers/photographers chase each others tails constantly when something interesting turns up, with no regard to the animals themselves. Theyre more like sheep than the Lonks you photograph mate :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 12:33 -
DSC_3054.jpg

DSC_3122.jpg

Up until last summer there was a pretty well known little owl site at one of the farms along the coast a bit further north from me. The owls nested in an old barn with access through one of the side walls. The farmer got so fed up with twitchers/photographers constantly trespassing and blocking vehicle access, that he blocked the entry points up in the barn after the young owls had fledged, and the owls subsequently moved on. We only found out about it recently, but given the situation we`d probably have stayed away anyway so as not to add to the farmers grief.
Up here, the twitchers/photographers chase each others tails constantly when something interesting turns up, with no regard to the animals themselves. Theyre more like sheep than the Lonks you photograph mate :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Leave sheep out of it! :laughs:

It's the same round here in the twitching fraternity. A lot of the photographers are clueless when it comes to finding their own subjects and just go where they've heard something was seen the day before.

I've not seen a little owl for a few years now. Although I haven't been going to places where I have seen them in the past. There was one that used to perch on a tall lamp post on a dual carriage way. They have an unnerving stare for a small bird!
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Stewlaws wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 10:32 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Feb 13 2024 23:57 -

Remember a talk by Jemima Parry Jones on the little Owl, there was talk that as an insect eating bird, they would emerge as a species highly likely to succeed to populate in huge numbers across the UK, (this was in 1990's) we would see little Owls on top of lamp posts/Telegraph posts along roads in big numbers, then the population crashed and we never see them anymore.

Can only think the lack of insects or invertebrates has played its role.
That has to play a part in it Stew. Crashes in local vole populations too, can see all the owl species having a hard time. Also the fact the derelict farm buildings which they rely on a lot for nest sites are often removed or rebuilt these days. We`ve located a few potential sites locally for the birds on Google Earth, with perfect old buildings etc, only to find that the buildings have since been renovated or flattened and theyre now unsuitable sites. Barn owls are having a similar hard time in that regard too.
At one site, just a mile from me, building work on an adjacent new housing estate pushed the resident little owls away. I was aware of the owls for a while but was way too busy with work to go check them out, so missed out seeing them. They`ve been gone a fair few years now. Further building work in the same area has displaced most of the roe deer too, and the resident hares.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 12:50 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Wed Feb 14 2024 12:33 -
DSC_3054.jpg

DSC_3122.jpg

Leave sheep out of it! :laughs:

It's the same round here in the twitching fraternity. A lot of the photographers are clueless when it comes to finding their own subjects and just go where they've heard something was seen the day before.

I've not seen a little owl for a few years now. Although I haven't been going to places where I have seen them in the past. There was one that used to perch on a tall lamp post on a dual carriage way. They have an unnerving stare for a small bird!
:grin: :grin: Thats exactly it mate. Just like fishing these days, they want things on a plate and want results with the least amount of effort, and just like fishing, theyre not really doing it for themselves but to impress others and collect likes on FB. Sad people....
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Little owls are the easiest to find round here! I know of 2 definite sites within 10 minutes of home and another 3 a little further afield.

I'd assume tawny's are the most numerous but their nocturnal habits make them more difficult.