Lizard

For the Twitchers amongst us
zodiac
Barbel
Barbel

Lizard

Post by zodiac »

Saw a few of these wee chaps over the years, today my 5 year old caught one! We let it go after a minute or so, he scampered off no problem.
20220603_161121.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'Politicians. Don't vote, it just encourages them. The desire to be a politician should bar you from life from ever being one' Billy Connoly
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Re: Lizard

Post by Cyprio »

Haven’t seen a lizard for a few years around here. :cry:

Cross the channel and they are everywhere. Climbing in and out the bivvy whilst fishing. :smile:

Nice find. Bet the kids were buzzing :cool:
Andy Carpenter
Andrew
Bailiff
Bailiff

Post by Andrew »

Thought this was a jubilee post 😁

Nice find
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

zodiac wrote: Fri Jun 03 2022 20:41 -
Saw a few of these wee chaps over the years, today my 5 year old caught one! We let it go after a minute or so, he scampered off no problem.

20220603_161121.jpg
I've never seen one in Suffolk. Slow worms, grass snakes, but never one of those.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jun 03 2022 22:14 -

20220603_161121.jpg
I've never seen one in Suffolk. Slow worms, grass snakes, but never one of those.
Last one I came across was at Bradfield St George Steve.
But I’ve only seen two slow worms here so I guess we’re not blessed with their kind.
Andy Carpenter
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Cyprio wrote: Fri Jun 03 2022 23:03 -
Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jun 03 2022 22:14 -

20220603_161121.jpg
Last one I came across was at Bradfield St George Steve.
But I’ve only seen two slow worms here so I guess we’re not blessed with their kind.
I'd love to see one. We used to find slow worms all the time, but as development has increased they're a rare sight now.

Frogs/toads have disappeared too. I used to have to do the sludge clearance in the pond before March or I'd be scooping out frog/toad spawn, but there have been none now for years. I still have newts, but other than water boatmen by the million, there's nothing else in my pond now.
Cyprio
Chub
Chub

Post by Cyprio »

Your not wrong there. We’re lucky our village is increasing the other end to us. We purchased a piece of land next door to stop them building, Still have newts but this year will need to clean the two wildlife ponds I have as the iris has taken over.
One thing I learnt last time we cleaned it is that newts eat frog spawn and the big tadpoles can eat newt spawn.
We had 15 newts when we cleaned following two years after keeping them apart in two ponds we had an explosion of newts. That was ten years ago, I hope after cleaning we can boost the numbers again. Wish we could do the same to the toads. Only have a few of those.
Andy Carpenter
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Cyprio wrote: Fri Jun 03 2022 23:43 -
Your not wrong there. We’re lucky our village is increasing the other end to us. We purchased a piece of land next door to stop them building, Still have newts but this year will need to clean the two wildlife ponds I have as the iris has taken over.
One thing I learnt last time we cleaned it is that newts eat frog spawn and the big tadpoles can eat newt spawn.
We had 15 newts when we cleaned following two years after keeping them apart in two ponds we had an explosion of newts. That was ten years ago, I hope after cleaning we can boost the numbers again. Wish we could do the same to the toads. Only have a few of those.
Same on a local gravel pit. Twenty years ago, it was impossible to walk around there at this time of year without treading on small frogs/toads, but now there are none. The surrounding woodland, that was once dry as a bone is now pretty much a swamp, with reeds now proliferating amongst the trees. Prime conditions for amphibians you'd think, but still there are none :shrug:
Jeffire
Perch
Perch

Post by Jeffire »

Lots of these in my garden along with slow worms
chrisG
Perch
Perch

Post by chrisG »

Lizards are on my 'wildlife to photograph' list, but I'm not good at finding them! We do have newts living under the decking though, even though there's no body of water.
Last edited by chrisG on Sun Jun 05 2022 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Smoothound
Roach
Roach

Post by Smoothound »

IMG_0248.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality...