Zander

Its not a Rat its a Hogg

Post by Crackoff »

Took me ages to get it out of the trap :roll:

Left it to toggle off in its own time and 10 mins later it was gone :thumbs:
fullsizeoutput_1b8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1bc.jpeg

Grant :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grant Everson :smile:

To that one soul reading this
I know your tired fed up and close to braking
But theres strength within you even when you feel week
You've come too far to give up now
Stay strong and keep fighting
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Its not a Rat its a Hogg

Post by davelumb »

I've had a trap out for a while and only caught two hedge pigs (or one hedge pig twice). Their spines do make it difficult to remove them from the trap!

Not seen the rat for a while though.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

davelumb wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:12 -
I've had a trap out for a while and only caught two hedge pigs (or one hedge pig twice). Their spines do make it difficult to remove them from the trap!

I Just shoved that stick up its backside after a bit it soon moved Mr :lumby: :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Crackoff wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:15 -

I Just shoved that stick up its backside after a bit it soon moved Mr :lumby: :laughs:

:roll:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

Rats are a bit too cunning for cage traps. I had one in the chicken run and got just one rat in over a month, despite there being plenty of rats (the little b******s were eating all the eggs!). Snap traps in the shed (where the hens have no access) got a few, but they soon wised up to those too.
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

davelumb wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:18 -

Errrrr that remark was :tongues: in cheek Mr :lumby: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Crackoff wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 19:08 -
davelumb wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:18 -

Errrrr that remark was :tongues: in cheek Mr :lumby: :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I didn't think you meant it literally. :wink: But it might have made a good bog brush if you had! :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I have also had a hedgie in a trap, it was not as large as Grants fattie and came out okay. It seemed quite weak so I put it in a box and gave it some of my worms from the wormery, it then went to sleep, the box was left open and walked away a during the night.

Coincidently a young rat appeared on my bird table two days ago, I shot it at 16.30 the next day in a safe place I bait with a clear view from the kitchen.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:55 -
Rats are a bit too cunning for cage traps. I had one in the chicken run and got just one rat in over a month, despite there being plenty of rats (the little b******s were eating all the eggs!). Snap traps in the shed (where the hens have no access) got a few, but they soon wised up to those too.
We had rats in our chicken/duck pen. I said to the mrs I’ve bought a humane cage trap.She said what are you gonna do with the rat if you catch one? Tip it into a sack and beat the b*****d with a piece of wood I replied. She didn’t think that was very humane for some reason!
As you say the buggers are too clever and I only caught a small one. Snap traps caught a few but poison blocks put where the poultry can’t get them was the only thing that worked.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mattjb wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 22:25 -
Snap traps caught a few but poison blocks put where the poultry can’t get them was the only thing that worked.
I wouldn't dare use poison for fear of my dog getting it as well as the hens. Years ago I'd just shoot them, but rampant development has rendered air rifle usage in the garden too risky :no:

My dog has killed a few though. I've never known a German Shepherd "ratter" before, but she'll marmalise 'em if she gets the chance!
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Jun 05 2022 16:55 -
Got to say I don't understand this Steve :confused:

If there caught then released yes they would wise up :thumbs:

But if there caught then killed how do they wise up ?????

I'm not having a go just a bit confused :scratch:

Cheers buddy

Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Crackoff wrote: Tue Jun 07 2022 12:33 -

Cheers buddy

It happens every time I get the snap traps out. I'll get a full house (4 traps, 4 rats) straight away, then maybe 1 the next day and three unsprung traps and after that nothing at all. No traps sprung and even the freebies (crumbled Krill boilies are my bait of choice) left untouched.
Obviously I'm not suggesting that the dead rats learn not to stick their heads in the traps a second time, but the others seemingly learn from their mistake. When the traps are left untouched I often see rats in the chicken run, so it's not that there simply aren't any more rats, they're just avoiding the traps and refusing the delicious boilies.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Jun 07 2022 12:54 -
Crackoff wrote: Tue Jun 07 2022 12:33 -

Cheers buddy

It happens every time I get the snap traps out. I'll get a full house (4 traps, 4 rats) straight away, then maybe 1 the next day and three unsprung traps and after that nothing at all. No traps sprung and even the freebies (crumbled Krill boilies are my bait of choice) left untouched.
Obviously I'm not suggesting that the dead rats learn not to stick their heads in the traps a second time, but the others seemingly learn from their mistake. When the traps are left untouched I often see rats in the chicken run, so it's not that there simply aren't any more rats, they're just avoiding the traps and refusing the delicious boilies.
I've watched rats crawl over dead ones in spring traps. Maybe they work it out that way? :dizzy:

Activ-8 boilies are my bait of choice for Roland. :grin:
Mattjb
Chub
Chub

Post by Mattjb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Mon Jun 06 2022 23:03 -
Snap traps caught a few but poison blocks put where the poultry can’t get them was the only thing that worked.
I wouldn't dare use poison for fear of my dog getting it as well as the hens. Years ago I'd just shoot them, but rampant development has rendered air rifle usage in the garden too risky :no:

My dog has killed a few though. I've never known a German Shepherd "ratter" before, but she'll marmalise 'em if she gets the chance!
I put the snap traps in the chicken pen but made some mesh cages with a small opening to put over the top and peg down . That worked to a certain extent though one rat was a clever b*****d. I had it set so the it was just on the pin and the next day it would be 5 mm on the pin so it had lifted it rather than pushed down on it.This happened quite a few nights so I made a reverse pin so if it was lifted it would snap but I still couldn’t catch the swine! Poison sorted it though!
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

My advice is to construct a safe kill zone Steve.
The one I have is foolproof, ultra safe for air rifle use and its very very effective.
The zone is in a corner, it has a back, roof and a hangover all constructed from 1" boards of solid wood on an earth base. At each end is a entry/exit hole. All the internal boards are painted white.
It is in full view of the kitchen window and with the white backboards anything that moves within is instantly noticed.
I leave it unbaited but when a rat is spotted or suspected to be around I bait it with rice grains, rolled oats or similar, anything that means a rat needs to make many visits to the zone. Visitors are permitted to feed freely, only when the settle down are they dealt with.
The rifle is zeroed on the zone, and I use flat head pellets. Mr Walther normally outscores Mr Fenn by +7:1 per year.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
John Milford
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by John Milford »

Perhaps it's left for its annual fortnight's holiday on Kev's boat? :joker:
"He's some sort of lure savant. Or just has an unhealthy addiction to old lures. We are not quite sure . . . . . "
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

John Milford wrote: Wed Jun 08 2022 17:31 -

:giggle:

Or gone to Appleby Horse Fair. :smile:
Crackoff
Zander
Zander

Post by Crackoff »

John Milford wrote: Wed Jun 08 2022 17:31 -

Yep Kev's new boat
271402853_1808982389299388_5133006593824190629_n.jpg
:laughs:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 08 2022 15:51 -

The one I have is foolproof, ultra safe for air rifle use and its very very effective.
The zone is in a corner, it has a back, roof and a hangover all constructed from 1" boards of solid wood on an earth base. At each end is a entry/exit hole. All the internal boards are painted white.
It is in full view of the kitchen window and with the white backboards anything that moves within is instantly noticed.
I leave it unbaited but when a rat is spotted or suspected to be around I bait it with rice grains, rolled oats or similar, anything that means a rat needs to make many visits to the zone. Visitors are permitted to feed freely, only when the settle down are they dealt with.
The rifle is zeroed on the zone, and I use flat head pellets. Mr Walther normally outscores Mr Fenn by +7:1 per year.

What the chuff you shooting the rats with Mike ...a Desert Eagle ? :smile:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

Kev Berry wrote: Sat Jun 11 2022 22:02 -
Mike J wrote: Wed Jun 08 2022 15:51 -

What the chuff you shooting the rats with Mike ...a Desert Eagle ? :smile:

If a round leaves your property you can be prosecuted, hence the belt and braces.
Rifle is a sub 12lbs .177.

:shoot: