Blackbird using bird feeder

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Blackbird using bird feeder

Post by davelumb »

This blackbird used to jump up to the feeder when I had it on a much lower support, about a foot off the ground. When I moved the feeder and raised it a bit it carried on jumping, and flapping. I might raise it higher still to see what happens! If the video doesn't load try this LINKY.

Freako
Chub
Chub

Re: Blackbird using bird feeder

Post by Freako »

They will get to it one way or another if they want it Dave.
Mick.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Freako wrote: Thu Jun 30 2022 18:31 -
They will get to it one way or another if they want it Dave.
Very resourceful.

The fat wood pigeons just loiter underneath it waiting for spillage. They don't get fat by flapping their wings. :laughs:
Mike J
Ferox Trout
Ferox Trout

Post by Mike J »

I had collared doves doing the same thing, to stop them I remade the perches so they were 3/4" closer to the feed so the doves couldn't balance on them.
I want the doves and pigeons to do the clearing up, not be bullying the spadgies off their food.
The blackies get bruised apples and pears I collect from my greengrocer and any rice that is leftover.

'No Man Ever Fishes The Same River Twice, .... For It Is Not The Same River, .... And He Is Not The Same Man' Heraclitus of Ephesus
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mike J wrote: Fri Jul 01 2022 09:40 -
I had collared doves doing the same thing, to stop them I remade the perches so they were 3/4" closer to the feed so the doves couldn't balance on them.
I want the doves and pigeons to do the clearing up, not be bullying the spadgies off their food.
The blackies get bruised apples and pears I collect from my greengrocer and any rice that is leftover.

I give the blackies my apple cores. They love them in winter. Sometimes they get a whole apple when it's really cold. I never have left over rice!
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

"Our" woodies have difficulty getting on the grain feeder.
Little feckers soon learned that they couldnt perch and eat, so they grab the 1" cill that runs round the square feeder and flap their wings to blow/knock out any seeds.
They are fattening up nicely :grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Kev Berry wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 09:29 -
"Our" woodies have difficulty getting on the grain feeder.
Little feckers soon learned that they couldnt perch and eat, so they grab the 1" cill that runs round the square feeder and flap their wings to blow/knock out any seeds.
They are fattening up nicely :grin:
When my feeder was a bit lower the woodies would reach up and peck at to make it swing it until seeds fell out.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

Clicked on the link and spotted "Southport 1977-81", interesting to see some street life without mobile phones :thumbs:
1Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

ChrisWales wrote: Fri Jul 08 2022 10:38 -
Clicked on the link and spotted "Southport 1977-81", interesting to see some street life without mobile phones :thumbs:

1Capture.JPG
:thumbs: