Hawk

For the Twitchers amongst us
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Hawk

Post by Steve Dennington »

Not every day that you see one of these in the garden. Unfortunately it's killed at least one of my hens this morning :no:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Re: Hawk

Post by davelumb »

What is the black blob with a beak?
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 11:27 -
You don't expect quality photography from me, Dave, surely? You should know better by now! :laughs:

I spoke to someone at the local owl sanctuary, who also keep hawks, and am told that the blob is a Harris Hawk :thumbs:

On the plus side, despite chicken feather strewn all over the place, all six hens remain in the land of the living. Hope it's not back tomorrow morning...
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 11:51 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 11:27 -
You don't expect quality photography from me, Dave, surely? You should know better by now! :laughs:

I spoke to someone at the local owl sanctuary, who also keep hawks, and am told that the blob is a Harris Hawk :thumbs:

On the plus side, despite chicken feather strewn all over the place, all six hens remain in the land of the living. Hope it's not back tomorrow morning...
:camera: :camera:

Thought it might be a Harris. Escapee from somewhere no doubt. Glad the chooks are OK.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 12:00 -

Thought it might be a Harris. Escapee from somewhere no doubt. Glad the chooks are OK.
I reckon. It had a hawking bell on its leg.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 12:39 -
davelumb wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 12:00 -

I reckon. It had a hawking bell on its leg.
:thumbs:
Tiercel
Chub
Chub

Post by Tiercel »

A lost austringers hawk for sure, likely fairly local, so someone will be out looking for it.
Have you tried the IBR (Independent Bird Register)? They have a website with a list of lost birds.
Dale
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Tiercel wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 20:55 -
A lost austringers hawk for sure, likely fairly local, so someone will be out looking for it.
Have you tried the IBR (Independent Bird Register)? They have a website with a list of lost birds.
Very local I think, Dale. From info received, I believe she's called Ruby and lives a few hundred yards away. A magnificent creature - I just hope she leaves my hens alone!

If the ID is correct, Ruby apparently has an aversion to men, which would explain the aggressive display (beak wide open and shrieking) as I approached the tree that she was in this morning! :laughs:
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Fri Jul 15 2022 22:25 -
Very local I think, Dale. From info received, I believe she's called Ruby and lives a few hundred yards away. A magnificent creature - I just hope she leaves my hens alone!

If the ID is correct, Ruby apparently has an aversion to men, which would explain the aggressive display (beak wide open and shrieking) as I approached the tree that she was in this morning! :laughs:
A lesbian/feminist Harris hawk? :afraid:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Kev Berry wrote: Sun Jul 17 2022 19:56 -

You must have known dogs that have reacted similarly, Kev?
Kev Berry

Post by Kev Berry »

Steve Dennington wrote: Sun Jul 17 2022 23:41 -
Kev Berry wrote: Sun Jul 17 2022 19:56 -

You must have known dogs that have reacted similarly, Kev?
Some....but some of the parrots that passed through my hands could be murderous to the opposite of the sex they preffered :laughs:
The Fatchap
Roach
Roach

Post by The Fatchap »

10 year old cockatoo is very similar. Loves me and spends most of the day on my shoulder. Hates my wife and barely tolerates my daughters.