Stoat

For the Twitchers amongst us
Kev Berry

Stoat

Post by Kev Berry »

Just got through the gate on our complex and spotted a half grown rabbit in the middle of the track about 20yds away
So I decided to watch him for a bit.
Suddenly a stoat runs out the long grass to one side of brer rabbit, but just runs past it at an oblique angle.
Then it turns round and runs across the front, and carries on doing this a couple of times. Looked like a young puppy just enjoying being outside.
The rabbit hopped back towards the long grass a few yards.
Mr stoat immediately shot in front him but still about 8ft away but close enough so the rabbit turned back round.
The little dance around the rabbit continued with the stoat getting closer then going further away but even closer on the next pass.
Just like a circling shark.
Then he nailed it. Bit of a very short wrestling match till those teeth did the damage, then he effortlessly dragged the much larger bunny off into the long grass.
First time Ive ever seen the stoats dance of death live from start to finish....fascinating.
Mike F
Chub
Chub

Re: Stoat

Post by Mike F »

They're certainly feisty little sods. I've seen them take down rabbits on quite a few occasions and i just have to stop watch it every time. As you say its fascinating.
Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.
ChrisWales
Chub
Chub

Post by ChrisWales »

I managed to get some decent photos a little while back, they can sure shift. They were taking rabbits bigger than themselves :)
stoat1.JPG
stoat2.JPG
stoat3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy Hayes
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Happy Hayes »

Love that last one Chris :cool:
Regards
Tom
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

ChrisWales wrote: Tue Aug 30 2022 18:03 -
I managed to get some decent photos a little while back, they can sure shift. They were taking rabbits bigger than themselves :)

stoat1.JPG

stoat2.JPG

stoat3.JPG
:cool:

They're certainly wick little buggers!
neil hardiker
Jack Pike
Jack Pike

Post by neil hardiker »

Once watched a pair of them swim 30 yards across a shallow, fast flowing river before methodically working a rabbit warren - #amazing
Stewlaws
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Stewlaws »

Stoats and weasels have the heart of a lion, amazing to watch them and great to see.. Seen 3 last year which was unusual in itself such is the rarity around here.