Frog time

For the Twitchers amongst us
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Frog time

Post by davelumb »

The frogs have been back in my pond for a while now but it takes warmth to get them to stay on the surface when I approach them. Numbers down on Peak Frog years of approaching 100, but 20 plus by my reckoning. I think next door have 'stolen' some by putting in a pond of their own!

I've seen a couple of newts too. Their appearance in the pond over the last few yearsseems to have coincided with the decline in frog numbers. I wonder if they're impacting tadpole survival rates?
_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Re: Frog time

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:18 -
The frogs have been back in my pond for a while now but it takes warmth to get them to stay on the surface when I approach them. Numbers down on Peak Frog years of approaching 100, but 20 plus by my reckoning. I think next door have 'stolen' some by putting in a pond of their own!

I've seen a couple of newts too. Their appearance in the pond over the last few yearsseems to have coincided with the decline in frog numbers. I wonder if they're impacting tadpole survival rates?

_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
Nice :thumbs: Ours have started spawning too, they began last week and are still at it. There are less frogs spawning in my pond nowadays too, similar numbers to yourself. I read somewhere recently that frogs prefer newer bodies of water for spawning and as ponds mature the frogs being to look elsewhere. That would explain the dwindling numbers if its accurate. Never seen a newt in my pond, I`d have expected them to turn up by now....Heres a pic i got last week, had to set the camera and trigger it with the remote, buggers are extremely spooky here when they spawn and as soon as the back door opens theyre underwater hiding :laughs: :laughs:
DSC_2428-DeNoiseAI-raw (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Post by Steve Dennington »

_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
Funny you should say that! Mark H and I had the same conversation recently. I have loads of newts in my pond, but not a single frog or toad and haven't had for years. 10yrs ago, my pond would be stuffed with frog and toad spawn by mid-March.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:36 -

_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
Funny you should say that! Mark H and I had the same conversation recently. I have loads of newts in my pond, but not a single frog or toad and haven't had for years. 10yrs ago, my pond would be stuffed with frog and toad spawn by mid-March.
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:25 -

_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
Nice :thumbs: Ours have started spawning too, they began last week and are still at it. There are less frogs spawning in my pond nowadays too, similar numbers to yourself. I read somewhere recently that frogs prefer newer bodies of water for spawning and as ponds mature the frogs being to look elsewhere. That would explain the dwindling numbers if its accurate. Never seen a newt in my pond, I`d have expected them to turn up by now....Heres a pic i got last week, had to set the camera and trigger it with the remote, buggers are extremely spooky here when they spawn and as soon as the back door opens theyre underwater hiding :laughs: :laughs:

DSC_2428-DeNoiseAI-raw (1).jpg
:thumbs:
Interesting stuff. I might have to dig another pond - and keep the newts out. :smile:

I've had another count and there's at least 25. So decent numbers. Also had another try at photographing the buggers, but the sun's gone in and they all dived for cover as soon as I came round the corner of the house. :hissy:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:36 -

_7824663.jpg
_7824656.jpg
_7824564.jpg
I`ve since read that newts predate heavily on frogspawn Steve, so its possible the large numbers of newts present could have prompted the frogs to just give up and look elsewhere. Never found a toad in my garden either.....just frogs :shrug: :shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

I haven't seen a toad in my garden since I pulled the shed down. There was one lived in it that I called Neville! :laughs:
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:55 -
I haven't seen a toad in my garden since I pulled the shed down. There was one lived in it that I called Neville! :laughs:
I`m soooo glad i didnt have a mouthful of coffee when i read that :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I checked the pond last night with the torch, and found 3 pairs still coupled together, but they seem to have turned their spawning activity to night time over the last few days. Just see the odd one in daylight now.
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:50 -
I`ve since read that newts predate heavily on frogspawn Steve, so its possible the large numbers of newts present could have prompted the frogs to just give up and look elsewhere. Never found a toad in my garden either.....just frogs :shrug: :shrug:
That would make sense. There is a pond about 100m down the road, created as part of the "green space" contribution to the 20 acre housing development that surrounded it. They've now decided to fill it in - presumably on grounds of elf'n'safety, but no bugger has drowned in there in the last 30yrs and would do well to do so in little more than a foot of water. It will be interesting to see if that has any bearing on the inhabitants of my pond, with that habitat being taken away.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

Steve Dennington wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 15:02 -
Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:50 -
That would make sense. There is a pond about 100m down the road, created as part of the "green space" contribution to the 20 acre housing development that surrounded it. They've now decided to fill it in - presumably on grounds of elf'n'safety, but no bugger has drowned in there in the last 30yrs and would do well to do so in little more than a foot of water. It will be interesting to see if that has any bearing on the inhabitants of my pond, with that habitat being taken away.
You`ll probably end up with even more newts if your luck is anything like mine Steve :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Steve Dennington
Zander
Zander

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 15:04 -
You`ll probably end up with even more newts if your luck is anything like mine Steve :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:
Probably! I don't mind the newts though, to be honest - they don't cause me any trouble. The main function of my pond these days is a lure testing/videoing facility, so I need it be a) clear and b) clear of obstructions, including clumps of frog spawn.
I've got a bit of a leakage issue too, so I'm going to have to put a new budget liner over the 25+yr old butyl one soon and the presence of tadpoles would make that impossible. Newts can be removed and they'll soon come back.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 15:00 -
davelumb wrote: Tue Mar 12 2024 14:55 -
I`m soooo glad i didnt have a mouthful of coffee when i read that :laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

I checked the pond last night with the torch, and found 3 pairs still coupled together, but they seem to have turned their spawning activity to night time over the last few days. Just see the odd one in daylight now.
:grin:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Out on the moors at 1,000 feet today and saw this on the path. There were a couple of small pools nearby but no sign of any spawn in them. :scratch:
_7818661.jpg
_7818663.jpg
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 19:16 -
Out on the moors at 1,000 feet today and saw this on the path. There were a couple of small pools nearby but no sign of any spawn in them. :scratch:

_7818661.jpg
_7818663.jpg
Predated by something but no idea what the culprit could have been.... :shrug:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 22:06 -

_7818661.jpg
_7818663.jpg
I was wondering if that might have been the case. Could it have been a dog being 'walked'?

Twas a grand morning up on the tops. Almost like spring. Curlew, skylark, meadow pipit and possibly twite, but not sure on the last one.
Mark_Houghton
Barbel
Barbel

Post by Mark_Houghton »

davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 22:19 -

_7818661.jpg
_7818663.jpg
I was wondering if that might have been the case. Could it have been a dog being 'walked'?

Twas a grand morning up on the tops. Almost like spring. Curlew, skylark, meadow pipit and possibly twite, but not sure on the last one.
Possibly, but likely something else Dave. I dare say anything capable of eating it wouldnt pass up the chance of a bit of extra protein at this time of year. Without any other clues it`d be impossible to guess what was responsible though.

....frogs are still at it here, but only during darkness....two good sized clumps of spawn in the pond now, and likely more to come :thumbs:
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Mark_Houghton wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 22:39 -
davelumb wrote: Sat Mar 16 2024 22:19 -

_7818661.jpg
_7818663.jpg

Possibly, but likely something else Dave. I dare say anything capable of eating it wouldnt pass up the chance of a bit of extra protein at this time of year. Without any other clues it`d be impossible to guess what was responsible though.

....frogs are still at it here, but only during darkness....two good sized clumps of spawn in the pond now, and likely more to come :thumbs:
I think they've done in my pond. Around fifteen clumps of spawn and no sign of frogs. :smile:
ROBBO90
Stickleback
Stickleback

Post by ROBBO90 »

Be careful who you tell, you have newts, especially if you're having an extension on your property. The newt police will be on you like a ton of bricks wanting expensive surveys undertaking and will place exclusion zones around the pond and surrounding area's and I don't just mean a 10' zone around their pond. :evil: :evil: :evil:
martin(rockape)
Barbel
Barbel

Post by martin(rockape) »

ROBBO90 wrote: Sun Mar 24 2024 12:17 -
Be careful who you tell, you have newts, especially if you're having an extension on your property. The newt police will be on you like a ton of bricks wanting expensive surveys undertaking and will place exclusion zones around the pond and surrounding area's and I don't just mean a 10' zone around their pond. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Chris Packham will be round doing Newt Watch.

Regards

Martin
Martin Alexander aka Alex, Spic.
whitey79
Perch
Perch

Post by whitey79 »

Found these in my pond last night
IMG_5752.jpeg
Going to try and catch them today 😜
I am the real Lee white last time I looked