A talent for photography

For the Twitchers amongst us
colinb
Barbel
Barbel

A talent for photography

Post by colinb »

Moving on from Hammy's Fenland Sunrise thread I'm interested in the supposedly rare talent of seeing a good photograph to take/shoot.

Martin mentioned Countryfile and to a degree [quite a large one] I agree about the cheesy photos in the Calendar competition, however I do admit to admiring and often commenting to my wife about the shots the cameramen get with their video cams and how "that would make a great photograph". I'm sure there's a lot of post editing goes on with the film prior to broadcasting, but obviously someone [maybe several] have a really good eye for some cracking photos.

The same can be said for many other productions on TV today, so is it a rare talent or do we not realise how many possess it?
ChristopherH
Barbel
Barbel

Re: A talent for photography

Post by ChristopherH »

Some of us will never aspire to much more than being able to appreciate the basics of composition Colin. Other photographers never fail to amaze me in how they can see and create a picture from the most obscure situations. I've often mentioned how difficult and challenging I find the photography of fenland scenes to be but I have no doubt the likes of Charlie Waite etc would find a way of overcoming the awkward linear nature of the fenscapes.

I once saw a set of pictures a guy had made from the rust patterns on an old fridge door at the dump. His pictures were nothing short of spectacular and looked like intergalactic scenes from a radio telescope. He sure had the knack. Image
From SAS to SOS. YNWTL

My Pictures
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

A slippery subject to pin down Colin, I think seeing it first is what fascinates me and perhaps a rare talent bordering on artistic, finding it in a shot after taking it less so.

Someone was showing me pictures on the viewfinder of their camera of a bird in flight, the images were so close together it was almost like watching video. Quite easy to pick the best one from so many.
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

martin godliman wrote:
A slippery subject to pin down Colin, I think seeing it first is what fascinates me and perhaps a rare talent bordering on artistic, finding it in a shot after taking it less so.
Don't start that again! Image
martin godliman
Zander
Zander

Post by martin godliman »

That's what happens when you age Dave you start repeating yourself, you'll get there eventually.Image
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
davelumb
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Post by davelumb »

Don't start that again! Image